Thistle on Thistle (11/09)

10 hours ago, scottbamby said:

I’m feeling naively positive after that today. Going into it, I thought that today would tell us more about how the season is likely to go than the rest of the matches so far. 

Whilst we were pish in the first half, I didn’t think Thistle looked that great. Tiffoney was running the show and Turner (I think?) was good, however I still thought we were winning the midfield battle -  just lacking fluidity going forward. I had a weird confidence we wouldn’t lose, which is an unusual feeling as a Caley Thistle fan. Yon Brian Graham miss was hilarious, if he scores that we probably don’t win.

Second half we were excellent. We looked a really, really good side. The attitude and application from this team looks like that of a successful side and that’s why we’ve won 5 out of 5. Scott Allardice and Roddy MacGregor were brilliant, as was Aaron Doran. Shane Sutherland was obviously gifted his goal however I think he’s an unsung hero at times. The work rate he and Duku provide up top is the basis for much of our success, and that’s why Dodds is sticking by them. If Thistle and Killie are supposed to be finishing above us then based on what I’ve seen so far, we genuinely might be title contenders. #Doddsball

I am not sure if this is what you meant, but anyone that had Thistle to win the league this season would either have to be a gambler or crazy. Hope this post comes back to haunt me at the end of the season though 😂

2 hours ago, Mike the Magyar said:

Sneddon has had more than enough chances to make this position ‘ his own’.  Stone was highly rated by others before he came to us. Get him in and give him a run.

I might be wrong  but it sounded like McCall is sticking with Sneddon next week on the jagzone after match interview. He said and i quote "We will give sneddon the backing he needs and hopefully he does better next week"

1 minute ago, The Firhill Frozen Pie said:

I might be wrong  but it sounded like McCall is sticking with Sneddon next week on the jagzone after match interview. He said and i quote "We will give sneddon the backing he needs and hopefully he does better next week"

thanks,

I wasn’t aware of McCall’s comments, though I can’t imagine our defenders will be over confident in him.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Sutherland's goal looks even more laughable than it did at the time. What to utter heck is Sneddon doing?

The only thing I can think of is that he is obviously wanting to grab the ball but is maybe thinking if he does his momentum will take him outside of the penalty area so he backs out of trying to claim it and just completely loses his bearings.

Looks like whoever was controlling Thistle on FIFA held down the wrong button. It's actually still a decent finish by Sutherland from that angle but that's now 4 of the 8 goals we've conceded in the league this season that are purely goalkeeping blunders. 

Graham's miss probably more pivotal though. 

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

The only thing I can think of is that he is obviously wanting to grab the ball but is maybe thinking if he does his momentum will take him outside of the penalty area so he backs out of trying to claim it and just completely loses his bearings.

I just don’t know why he felt the need to come and claim it, never mind anything else. If he stays in position, Sutherland gets the ball in a position he’s never scoring from and no other Caley players in the box. You’d like to think we could deal with that.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I just don’t know why he felt the need to come and claim it, never mind anything else. If he stays in position, Sutherland gets the ball in a position he’s never scoring from and no other Caley players in the box. You’d like to think we could deal with that.

Yeah total brain fart to try and come for it. Second week in a row we've benefitted from a keeper cock up. Hope Peter Grant plays Fon Williams next weekend...

46 minutes ago, RiG said:

Yeah total brain fart to try and come for it. Second week in a row we've benefitted from a keeper cock up. Hope Peter Grant plays Fon Williams next weekend...

Peter Grant could play Gianluigi Donnarumma next week and it would make little difference.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

The problem for keepers is that a mistake usually costs a goal and points. Graham’s glaring miss yesterday has been largely glossed over. 

While you have a point about Graham’s miss being awful and being glossed over.  Graham on the whole has won us plenty of points.  Sneddon and stones calamities have cost us points.  I don’t really recall thinking about any matches that we have won that Sneddon and stone (although the latter hasn’t played that much) had much of any impact on us winning eg QOS, Dunfermline, Morton etc while Graham did in my opinion.  

i hadnt paid much attention to the match (bit of a filthy casual these days but mainly down to working weekends) and thought from reading the match thread the howler was the first goal, broadfoot's shot trickled in and Sneddon did his best Kenny Arthur impression by going down in stages/in slow motion.

that second was full on garry o connor face inducing. Literally just make up your mind to try to catch it, try to punch it or try to head it, don't just fucking run past the ball :lol: 

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

That second was full on garry o connor face inducing. Literally just make up your mind to try to catch it, try to punch it or try to head it, don't just fucking run past the ball :lol: 

That's it spot on, it's like he jumps, sees the line of the box and when trying to work out trajectory his mind gets the blue screen of death and he just sorta jumps arms down, no attempt to touch the ball. 

If the was a partick fan I would have been going bananas at that. 

58 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

That's it spot on, it's like he jumps, sees the line of the box and when trying to work out trajectory his mind gets the blue screen of death and he just sorta jumps arms down, no attempt to touch the ball. 

If the was a partick fan I would have been going bananas at that. 

We should be, but unfortunately the goalkeepers we’ve had since Cerny left have been a who’s who of utter dross.

Cammy Bell, Aaron Lennox, Jamie Sneddon, Conor Hazard, Scott Fox, Kieran Wright and Harry Stone. Stone might still come good, but it says an awful lot that Hazard is comfortably the best of them. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

Going to be a right laugh this season with Stone and Sneddon seemingly competing with each other to see who can make the biggest goalkeeping error. Stone's got some way to go to beat that though. 

Graham is massively frustrating as well tbh, misses far too many good chances.