Thistle on Thistle (11/09)

56 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Looking forward to reacquainting myself with the Longman industrial estate on my trek to the ground. It's been a while (I think the last time was the game folk are on about), is the bar at the stadium still open?

Nope, it is currently being used as the away changing room.

Edited by PB1994

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not a bad tactic, but some of our guys play better after a couple of pints.

Any recommendations for pre-match drinks?

In town you have your standard Belhaven type places (Auctioneers, Platform 8), there is also MacGregors bar on Academy Street which a lot of folk like as well as Black Isle Bar on Church Street. A wee walk from the town centre on Innes Street you will find the Innes Bar which is pretty good as well.

If you went for any of these best bet is to get a taxi down to the stadium. 

1 hour ago, RiG said:

In town you have your standard Belhaven type places (Auctioneers, Platform 8), there is also MacGregors bar on Academy Street which a lot of folk like as well as Black Isle Bar on Church Street. A wee walk from the town centre on Innes Street you will find the Innes Bar which is pretty good as well.

If you went for any of these best bet is to get a taxi down to the stadium. 

To add to this I think there is also a bus that leaves from the Bus Station to go to the ground. Not sure if the Caley Club are still running buses over as well.

The Innes is a bit out from the centre, only 5 mins walk probably, but it is my preferred place to go plus it is on the way to the ground.

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Ended up in The Innes after an ICT fan on the train up recommended it to us. Was decent iirc and we got a lift to the game on their mini bus.

Sadly the mini bus seems to have stopped. If you do go there don't bet on it running and be prepared to get a taxi or wander down.

22 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Not a bad tactic, but some of our guys play better after a couple of pints.

Any recommendations for pre-match drinks?

Seeing as you are coming from Partick I won't sully your taste buds with shite boozers selling Carling, but for some quality pubs here's a full rundown....if coming off the train head down to Phoenix or MacGregor's for good beers and good food depending on what you want before a game. La Le the turkish place attached to Phoenix does some amazing food platters.  MacGregor's has a good beer garden and great burgers. There's a new place just opened called The Rose street foundry which is owned by Cairngorm Brewery. There's also the Blackfriars which does farily standard kind of thing. The Innes is great if walking down or back. The Black Isle is good for craft beer and pizza. There's loads of the usual suspects selling staples but these ones are my favourites...and Ilike eating and drinking.... a lot. 

How is Doddsball on the eye out of curiosity? I’ve not paid any attention outwith us really,  1-0s don’t sound the most riveting but winning is winning and would happily take a season of them to end up top. 

8 hours ago, Acon said:

How is Doddsball on the eye out of curiosity? I’ve not paid any attention outwith us really,  1-0s don’t sound the most riveting but winning is winning and would happily take a season of them to end up top. 

I’d say he plays a very pragmatic style of football. We have played some lovely one touch passing moves keeping the ball on the ground but we will also go more direct needed. We’ve got a good mix of “technical” footballers and Duku and Sutherland can both do well in the air.

I wasn’t at the Killie game but we apparently did a bit of a job on Burke by putting some tough challenges in. Which I am all for.

My main worry coming into the season was how we would be defensively and so far we haven’t conceded a goal, in the league, so as far as I’m concerned I’m happy with the way he plays.

ETA - other people might think differently to me but as long as we continue winning games I don’t really care how it is done.

Edited by PB1994

9 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I’d say he plays a very pragmatic style of football. We have played some lovely one touch passing moves keeping the ball on the ground but we will also go more direct needed. We’ve got a good mix of “technical” footballers and Duku and Sutherland can both do well in the air.

I wasn’t at the Killie game but we apparently did a bit of a job on Burke by putting some tough challenges in. Which I am all for.

My main worry coming into the season was how we would be defensively and so far we haven’t conceded a goal, in the league, so as far as I’m concerned I’m happy with the way he plays.

ETA - other people might think differently to me but as long as we continue winning games I don’t really care how it is done.

This is pretty much spot on. We’ve won four consecutive league games 1-0 and still haven’t really played especially well. They say good teams find ways to win football matches though, so we should be reassured by that.

The more I think about tomorrow’s game, the less sure I am how it’s going to play out. Im still not entirely sure what to expect from #Doddsball in the long haul, and I equal parts love and hate it.

I’m answer to the question about Doddsball I think it’s really interesting that the quote to the press about not working on the defence has resulted in a lot of work on the defence.  I wouldn’t say I feel they are comfortable playing out from the back but when they find Allardice and MacGregor and don’t resort to long diagonals we look a lot more threatening.  Maybe the idea is to keep mixing it so the opposition don’t guess what we’re doing? The last half hour against Kilmarnock was excellent in terms of keeping the ball and opening them up on the break. 
very excited and nervous at the same time for this game! 

31 minutes ago, Ott said:

I’m answer to the question about Doddsball I think it’s really interesting that the quote to the press about not working on the defence has resulted in a lot of work on the defence.  I wouldn’t say I feel they are comfortable playing out from the back but when they find Allardice and MacGregor and don’t resort to long diagonals we look a lot more threatening.  Maybe the idea is to keep mixing it so the opposition don’t guess what we’re doing? The last half hour against Kilmarnock was excellent in terms of keeping the ball and opening them up on the break. 
very excited and nervous at the same time for this game! 

That spell was the most impressive we've looked yet this season. We saw another dimension to McGregor's game in the way he was always on the move to make himself available for a pass and then his patience and ball retention when he got it. A really mature performance.

I listened to a Partick Thistle podcast preview of the match earlier in the week and their prediction was that if Partick scored ICT's 'arses would collapse', and the rationales for this were our poor record against them when they were last in the Championship and the fact that we haven't conceded yet, which means we wouldn't know how to react when we did. I'm certainly not ruling out that it could happen - I'm pretty nervous about this game - but on the evidence of last week we're not going to panic under pressure and we're going to have a very clear game plan, so I think a draw or a narrow win either way is far more likely.