Faroe Islands v Scotland

7 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

The team from the 2-2 draw in 2002...... 

Take out Lambert and Ferguson and that is an extremely weak Scotland team.  Some will continue to moan about options up front but how would we feel these days with the likes of Kevin Kyle and Stephen Dobie leading the attack? 

There were quite a number of young players in that team but very few went on to have even half decent careers. Surely the current side with players from the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Aston Villa is far stronger than the team 19 years ago.

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie.

Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford.

Wasn't it Scott dobie?

I suspect we will stick with the same formation and there’s a very good case for that with continuity and people knowing what they are doing.

But with this formation in games where we have the ball we end up with a lot of players behind the ball carrier and think we’d probably get more luck tonight breaking them down by removing a centre back and having another option ahead of the ball.

Would be a big call so can see why it won’t happen. 
Any win and I’m happy tonight 

Just now, Gibby82 said:

Scott Dobie. Jeezo, forgot all about him. That Bertie Vogts era was some laugh.

He got us to the playoff and the first leg was amazing. Less said about the second leg the better but considering what he had available I don't think he could have done much more. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Kevin Kyle was not on the same universe in terms of footballing ability as Stephen Dobbie. Kyle had a purple patch at hearts and Kilmarnock - that was his entire career. 

Whereas Stephen Dobbie scored a lot of goals in the Scottish Championship.

1 minute ago, LondonHMFC said:

When was the last time we skelped someone away from home? Albania? Not that I think we are going to pump the Faroes, read earlier they haven't lost by four in 5 year years. 

Think it might have been that they've not conceded five in four years, going by this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroe_Islands_national_football_team_results.

Considering five is the official threshold for the start of thrashings, they aren't too bad at keeping things respectable.

That Euro 2016 campaign where they beat Ranieri's Greece home and away, while losing every single other game  :lol:

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Kevin Kyle can put Donald Trump to shame with his contract negotiations, but.

Brexit would have gone a lot better if Kevin Kyle and Seth Johnson were leading the negotiations.

Kevin Kyle was not on the same universe in terms of footballing ability as Stephen Dobbie. Kyle had a purple patch at hearts and Kilmarnock - that was his entire career. 

Apart from the bit where he played 39 Premier League games, which is 30 more than Dobbie.

Dobbie's goalscoring record at every level above the Scottish second tier was poor. There was obviously a lot more to his game than that, but the same is true for Kyle.

Whereas Stephen Dobbie scored a lot of goals in the Scottish Championship.

Before and after his prime aye. He spent his best year between the EPL and English Championship.

Apart from the bit where he played 39 Premier League games, which is 30 more than Dobbie.

Dobbie's goalscoring record at every level above the Scottish second tier was poor. There was obviously a lot more to his game than that, but the same is true for Kyle.

He was used predominantly as a midfielder down the road.

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

He got us to the playoff and the first leg was amazing. Less said about the second leg the better but considering what he had available I don't think he could have done much more. 

The group he had us in was a piece of piss - and we still nearly cocked it up. Needed a late goal in our last game against Lithuania to get second place. Germany when they were at their lowest level in living memory (they dropped points to everyone bar the Faroes in qualifying and got sent packing with 2 points in the tournament itself), Lithuania, Iceland before they got good and the Faroes.

I’m fairly confident that every manager since Bertie would have gotten a play-off place out of that even with the same players available. The Smith/McLeish team would have qualified automatically.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I believe he scored one premiership goal, I think we both know that Kyle wasn’t even close to the standard required. He didn’t do well in the championship either. 

Dobbie didn’t play as a striker in the championship in England and was a very good player at that level - Kyle wasn’t. 

Anyway, who gives a f**k - back to the proper stuff...

Edited by No_Problemo

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The group he had us in was a piece of piss - and we still nearly cocked it up. Needed a late goal in our last game against Lithuania to get second place. Germany when they were at their lowest level in living memory (they dropped points to everyone bar the Faroes in qualifying and got sent packing with 2 points in the tournament itself), Lithuania, Iceland before they got good and the Faroes.

I’m fairly confident that every manager since Bertie would have gotten a play-off place out of that even with the same players available. The Smith/McLeish team would have qualified automatically.

We also dropped 5 points to Lithuania and the Faroes, something which would very probably have been fatal to our chances in any other qualifying campaign, so "you can only beat what's in front of you" doesn't apply.

Might sound like sacrilege but I’d be swapping MGinn for Turnbull tonight and then Christie in for Adams. 
This is for playing the Faroes mind so think their trickery around a full box and old club connection would work in our favour

Clarke has clearly settled on a team now, and I'm of the opinion that we need to play that team in every game possible. The more game time it gets, the more it will get used to playing together. IMO it has to include the below as undroppables:

Gordon

RWB - RCB - Hanley - Tierney - Robertson

McGregor - Gilmour

McGinn

Dykes - ST

So that's 8/11 positions nailed down. Of the remaining 3 positions, I reckon Paterson is close to having RWB nailed down but there are still some major concerns to his game. If we were playing Denmark tonight I'd still have O'Donnell in there though. 

RCB is between Hendry and McTominay, and I'm really undecided of who I'd have here. You could argue that McTominay would be better against weaker opposition but I wouldn't chop and change the 3 defenders between games, I'd want a settled back 3. Would be happy with either. 

ST is between Adams and Christie, and as Adams is out then it's Christie's position tonight. Nisbet can come off the bench in the second half. 

1 hour ago, dysartrovers said:
1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:
When was the last time we skelped someone away from home? Albania? Not that I think we are going to pump the Faroes, read earlier they haven't lost by four in 5 year years. 

We beat them by 4 in the last game we played them

Israel also beat them 4-0 away.

Edited by ManBearPig