VAR in Scottish Football

VAR in Scottish Football  

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And I’ll repeat.

It’s NOT VAR.

It’s the p***ks who are using it. 

Maybe we shouldn't let "the p***ks" use VAR until they're absolutely certain they won't mess it up - ideally sometime after Earth gets swallowed by the sun. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And I’ll repeat.

It’s NOT VAR.

VAR picked up on PAOK’s penalty. 
Correctly.  
That’s what it’s for. So that on field decisions that are missed get picked up.

The VAR man is instructed to check all things that happen in the penalty box. 
Everything.

They didn’t check.  
Why?

Aberdeen deserve an explanation as to why not.  

Sorry for potentially being pedantic here, but VAR IS the p***ks that use technology.

VAR is not separate from the referees. They are one and the same.

On 14/10/2023 at 14:56, velo army said:

It's part of the pantomime. 

100% this

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And I’ll repeat.

It’s NOT VAR.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Sorry for potentially being pedantic here, but VAR IS the p***ks that use technology.

VAR is not separate from the referees. They are one and the same.

exactly what I was gonna reply to this.
VAR is the people that use it. It's not the fact a camera caught the correct images. It's the whole thing.

6 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

And I’ll repeat.

It’s NOT VAR.

Correctly.  

Everything.

They didn’t check.  
Why?

VAR is a person - it literally stands for Video Assistant Referee.

How do you know they didn't check the Aberdeen penalty appeal last night?

Even if the people involved in the process always performed at 100% and got every decision spot on, it would not be worth the disruption to the game or the degrading of the enjoyment of being in the stadium.

VAR itself is the problem. Decisions were right and wrong before, and they'll always be right and wrong.

The disruption to the game is an insane thing for anyone to want.

Edited by DoingThe42

24 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Even if the people involved in the process always performed at 100% and got every decision spot on, it would not be worth the disruption to the game or the degrading of the enjoyment of being in the stadium.

VAR itself is the problem. Decisions were right and wrong before, and they'll always be right and wrong.

The disruption to the game is an insane thing for anyone to want.

Totally agree. Particularly with the Tesco value, 6 cameras and no goal line technology, we have here. At best it makes marginal improvements to decision making, but disrupts the game way too much, making it much worse to watch. Especially for the fans in the ground.

It was interesting that Crawford Allan said they have access to 12-14 cameras from Sky live games.

My understanding was that VAR could only use angles from cameras connected to the "VAR boxes" at the grounds, which gives access to the cameras in isolation, independent of the broadcast feed. Having those boxes at all the positions Sky use will have been a huge undertaking, given the technical infrastructure behind them.

Those boxes are also, incidentally, why "installing VAR" isn't just sticking a screen at the side of the pitch. I assume, though, that everything has been left in situ at Tannadice and Firhill (installed for the play-off final last season), so could theoretically be used at those grounds in the Scottish Cup this season. And, I suppose, at Hampden for a Queen's Park home game. 

On 27/10/2023 at 08:02, Thenorthernlight said:

And I’ll repeat.

It’s NOT VAR.

Correctly.  

Everything.

They didn’t check.  
Why?

You realise the people operating it are the same people that are refereeing.

People make mistakes and always will, a referee making a mistake in real time does not ruin football as a spectacle.

VAR however does for 0 gain which is clearly shown by Thursdays injustice.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Scottish fitba obviously, but on VAR, watching Tottenham v Chelsea. Currently 1-1. We've lost 3 goals (albeit one was then given over to a pen that was scored) and all for the most marginal things imaginable. A million other stoppages for red cards etc. Get it so far to f**k. Would be a brilliant game if sitting at 2-2, instead we've just had 12 minutes of injury time cos of all the faffing. Ruins it as a spectacle 

2 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Not Scottish fitba obviously, but on VAR, watching Tottenham v Chelsea. Currently 1-1. We've lost 3 goals (albeit one was then given over to a pen that was scored) and all for the most marginal things imaginable. A million other stoppages for red cards etc. Get it so far to f**k. Would be a brilliant game if sitting at 2-2, instead we've just had 12 minutes of injury time cos of all the faffing. Ruins it as a 

I stopped watching at half time, as the game was stopped so much, especially around the half hour, that I lost interest.

I was all for VAR at the start but it is a total mess now. It is used by referee's who are forensically trying to find something wrong rather than what it was introduced for in the first place. 

Who would have thought that introducing new technology and not improving the quality of the referees in the first place would have came with disastrous conclusions? Pretty much everyone, that's who. 

I'm pretty sure it would be almost unanimous with all football fans if they were posed the question 'Has VAR improved football?' that the answer would be no. It'll never go away for the people in the media that are trying to suggest it should just be scrapped...It just needs better people using it.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

what was that then?

To assist the on field referee in the decisions he makes and to eradicate contention out of the game. It should be subordinate to the main referee; it's very rare that you watch a game of football now and can tell who is actually refereeing it. 

If you look at something enough times over, on a screen, with multiple angles and a slow frame rate you can convince yourself you've found something wrong.

35 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

It just needs better people using it.

I don't really agree with this. Unless you mean people with superhuman powers of vision, perception, and judgement.

Football is too fast and has rules that are too subjective for anyone to go through a full televised 90 minutes without making a decision someone will disagree with. Add in the rampant paranoia and blame-shifting culture in the sport, and referees can't be blamed for taking ages to make a decision. As to what's right or wrong, well, often who is to say? People tend to simply decide based on what team they support, so the ref can't win.

It can never work. It does not fit with the sport.

This idea of people who will be able to come in and make VAR work properly is a fantasy that denies how the game works.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't really agree with this. Unless you mean people with superhuman powers of vision, perception, and judgement.

Football is too fast and has rules that are too subjective for anyone to go through a full televised 90 minutes without making a decision someone will disagree with. Add in the rampant paranoia and blame-shifting culture in the sport, and referees can't be blamed for taking ages to make a decision. As to what's right or wrong, well, often who is to say? People tend to simply decide based on what team they support, so the ref can't win.

It can never work. It does not fit with the sport.

This idea of people who will be able to come in and make VAR work properly is a fantasy that denies how the game works.

I currently really enjoy the folk that are currently claiming that "We need to update the laws". That for some reason that because decisions are now "correct", and as such, broadly less fun (being offside by absolute fractions of an inch etc.), that instead the laws of the game need to be updated to reflect it in order to make it inherently less functional or dry.

These people have undiagnosed brain worms, IMO.

12 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I currently really enjoy the folk that are currently claiming that "We need to update the laws". That for some reason that because decisions are now "correct", and as such, broadly less fun (being offside by absolute fractions of an inch etc.), that instead the laws of the game need to be updated to reflect it in order to make it inherently less functional or dry.

These people have undiagnosed brain worms, IMO.

That kind of person just makes me sad. It's the failure to understand what the laws of the game are for.

Offside is about gaining an advantage and basically poaching. It makes the game work in the way we recognise it. Fouls are about booting folk and impeding them by cheating or trying to hurt folk. Not "he made slight contact with the outside of his calf, game changing penalty!". Handball is to stop folk fucking catching the ball. It's not about punishing someone for having arms while sliding to defend a cross.

It's just sad that people want to see football as a sport of technical offences. It never used to be, and it's one of the things that make it so much more watchable than sports like rugby.

It's just becoming fucking tedious. And that's before we even touch on the impact of fans. See Celtic Twitter for a group of people whose brains have been permanantly fucked by the existence of VAR.

Edited by VincentGuerin

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

See Celtic Twitter for a group of people whose brains have been permanantly fucked by the existence of VAR.

I agree with everything you say apart from the quoted bit. These clowns had lost it long before VAR. VAR is just a new thing fur them to find wild conspiracy in.