Bring back 3 former player (bit of fun)

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

bloody hell, sensitive, much?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't rate Rough near the top of a list of decent Sotland Keepers in my time. There's three (McGregor, Marshall and Gordon) currently playing who were far better in their prime, and arguably just as good now. Then there's Jim Leighton, Peter McLoy, Ronnie Simpson, Bobby Clark, Jim Stewart, both Andy Gorams..

In my experience as an opposition fan, though, the jammy cúnt seemed unbeatable at times.

McCloy and Stewart?? Hehe

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3

10 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Hahaha! So. Rough was to blame for the under par performances of the whole squad, the ineptness of the management, the drug scandal of Johnston? Get a grip of yourself!

No, he wasn't to blame for any of these contributory factors.

However, he was to blame for 2 goals conceded to Peru, 1 to Iran and 1 to The Netherlands.  I think it's fair to say that they also contributed to our elimination.

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

McCloy was a bloody good keeper, helped by his evolutionary throwback gibbon arms. Jim Stewart was a superb and consistent keeper for us for years.

Rough was superb for Thistle all his career. Both around the same period. Rough 53 caps, Stewart 2.

Rough. Footballer of the year.

We can see the evidence here.

Three strikers for me to put away the chances we're squandering:

Stephen Dobbie (obvs) but from before he took longer to get over injuries. 

Andy Thomson (from 1st spell as someone else said) 

Peter Dickson: reputedly a bit of an arsehole but knew how to score goals. 

Honorable mentions for Balderstone (midfield class) McKenna (midfield ball winner, which we need) and Ball (Mr QoS) 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs
Spellering

Gordon Dalziel and Craig Brewster to play up front together.

Other pick would be a midfielder but can't decide between Silky Hetherston, Mickey Cameron, Paquito or Regan Hendry. 

Craig Brewster must be the most popular player in the history of Fife football seems like most Pars and Rovers fan have picked him

7 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

This Saturday is the 50th Anniversary of the most sensational result in Scottish Football History - Alan Rough played a part in newly promoted Thistle's 4-1 League Cup Final over Jock Stein's Celtic featuring several Lisbon Lions and Dalglish, Lou Macari, David Hay and George Connolly. He won two Championship Winners Medals for Thistle teams which absolutely strolled the Second Tier.

Great wee thread for us auld gits by the way .... 

My first ever competitive match attended was in April 71 at Palmerston against Thistle.  That would be at the end of their promotion season and a few months before that amazing League Cup Final result against what was a seriously good Celtic side.  Remember listening to the game on the radio, and think Thistle were something like 3-0 by half-time.

IIRC that Thistle team also included the legendary winger that was none other than ........ Denis McQuade!

My one recollection from the match at Palmerston (apart from losing 0-1) was that a home fan chucked a lager can (you could take drink cans into the game back then) into the Thistle six yard box when play was up the other end ..... and instead of getting upset by it, Alan Rough picked it up and pretended to have a wee drink from it and then giving the Queens fans a "thumbs up" and a wink before chucking the can back off the pitch.  Simpler times ....

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ha, good one.

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion, but to rate Dykes as among the top three performers for Queens over the decades you go back, is utterly perverse.

He genuinely wouldn't make my top 100. 

Gotta hand it to you MT, that's brilliant, just brilliant ...... remember this is QOS you're talking about here! 😀

On 17/10/2021 at 14:14, Slipmat said:

Stephen Dobbie

Jimmy Robertson (first spell)

Stevie Tosh

Honourable mentions - Steve Bowey, Bobby Parker, Andy Thomson (first spell), Stuart Lovell, Alan Davidson, Henry Templeton (minus the attitude).

My father and grandfather always spoke in glowing terms about Jocky Dempster and Tommy O'Hara but they both left the year before I started going to games.  Maybe some older posters may choose them?

Yip, Stephen Dobbie is a huge definite and a "given" for Queens fans.  It gets a bit more difficult after that.

Jimmy Robertson and Stevie Tosh are both great shouts, as would Ted McMinn probably be.

Alas, I never got to watch Andy Thomson in his first spell due to a 10 year stretch working dahn sarf in deepest Englandshire.

Dempster and O'Hara were my favorites of the 70's in my school/student days.  Dempster when in the mood was a fine winger with a serious rocket of a shot on him, although there were times he could drift out of games.

Tommy O'Hara came to us from Celtic, and was one of the classiest midfielders I have ever seen play the game - his touch, passing, game awareness and vision were just outstanding and I've rarely seen better at our level - an absolute joy to watch.  Think he left us for Motherwell and then on to play in the USA.

Stuart Lovell is another good mention - especially the season that he steadied our defence which had been shambolic up to that point.

4 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Stevie Nicol (5 English titles, 3 FA Cups, 1 European Cup and 27 Scotland caps)
Davie Stewart (1 Scotland cap and a losing European Cup final)
Robert Connor ( 4 Scotland caps)

All did pretty well after they left us so might bring them back. Two came through the boy's club.

Dick Malone and Johnny Doyle just missing out.

Dixie Ingram ....... Hugh Sproat ...... ?