Normal Island

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:
It doesn't show that and in fact can't show possibly that till after we see what happens in England 
When they moved the Rangers vs Napoli match it was because the police were going to have to deal with hundreds of thousands of people in Edinburgh. That conspicuously didn't happen. The real story in Scotland wasn't the thousands of people on the royal mile or the dozens of protestors it's the massive apathy as the people of the capital just put their collective head down and let this blow over.
You being a lot further away and following things on TV will have had a very different view of  events in Edinburgh over the last few days very differently from those of us who actually live here.
The Telegraph on the other hand are being deliberately obtuse
Gauging Scotland's opinion of the Monarchy from a subset of Scots who turned out for a Royal event is a textbook example of the perils of a self selecting sample

Of the 33k that did file passed her coffin I would hazard a guess at close to half being non Scots residents given the demographic in the news vox pop pieces.

That's half as many as will be at Murrayfield for the Autumn Internationals

This is a city whose football clubs win things so infrequently that cup wins attract 6 figure crowds at short notice

This is a city which is used to dealing with the high street looking like this for weeks on end  every august 
Edinburgh Fringe to return with in-person events alongside online shows |  Ents & Arts News | Sky News

The idea that the rest of the country had to stop what it was doing because we'd be too busy to handle last weekend without your help is just silly.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Harry Hewitt has 5 medals on his chest.

I take it his late granny awarded these ?

'World's Best Grandson' ?

'Jim Fixed It For Me' ?

Gold, Diamond & Platinum Jubilee ? WTF ?????????????

Farcical.

Nah he actually flew apaches in Afghanistan and did a tour as Joint Terminal Air Controller.

Leave aside the shocking imperial pr connotations of sending a Prince to shoot at tribesmen from his modern cavalry horse, he probably definitely earned most of his service gongs and so did the Pronce. 

Edited by williemillersmoustache

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There’s a nine mile long route for a queue to see the coffin. 

A wooden box. 

People have queued overnight 

I hope the Taxidermy Looks Easy chaps have sorted her out, she'll be honking if not, after ten days in the box and out in the sun a fair bit.

13 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

#frugal

7B401590-E2B2-4270-B618-9107DE16F384.png

Work expense, innit. Entirely reasonable. And it was her own, personal money that she'd totally have if she hadn't been Queen.

They're magic, and you're just jealous. Nothing to see here.

I'm sure the Taliban and N.Korea will be devastated not to be invited to "The Disappearing of the Wooden Box" ceremony.

"The Foreign Office has continued to prune its invitation list for the Queen’s funeral on Monday revealing neither Syria, nor Venezuela will be asked to the ceremony. As a sign of disapproval the de facto authority in Afghanistan, the Taliban have also been left off the invitation list.

North Korea and Nicaragua - with which the UK has ice cold diplomatic relations - are being asked at ambassadorial level, a signal of disapproval that has already been sent to Iran. Tehran has been told it has been invited at ambassadorial level."

54 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Nah he actually flew Apaches in Afghanistan and did a tour as Joint Terminal Air Controller.

Leave aside the shocking imperial pr connotations of sending a Prince to shoot at tribesmen from his modern cavalry horse, he probably definitely earned most of his service gongs and so did the Pronce. 

He actually described that as the closest he got to a normal life.

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62900500

"The BBC is launching a dedicated stream of the Queen lying in state, for people who want to pay their respects virtually."

National broadcaster, playing a 24hr stream of a coffin. Britain may have peeked.

I don't know.  Full moon tonight.

Could be an interesting twist.

12 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I'm sure the Taliban and N.Korea will be devastated not to be invited to "The Disappearing of the Wooden Box" ceremony.

"The Foreign Office has continued to prune its invitation list for the Queen’s funeral on Monday revealing neither Syria, nor Venezuela will be asked to the ceremony. As a sign of disapproval the de facto authority in Afghanistan, the Taliban have also been left off the invitation list.

North Korea and Nicaragua - with which the UK has ice cold diplomatic relations - are being asked at ambassadorial level, a signal of disapproval that has already been sent to Iran. Tehran has been told it has been invited at ambassadorial level."

There was an episode of “Yes Prime Minister” where sir Humphrey explains that more serious diplomatic business can get done at funerals than summits because nobody has to go home to be asked what they achieved 

27 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I don't remember her majesty getting involved in throwing the Ayatollah around in his shroud, so it's only fair. 

30 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

You'd have thought becoming pals with Venezuela and Iran again would have been something of a priority.

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

In North Korea it is a farce.   

The Kim dynasty have tremendous privilege over everybody else.  The narrative is that they are practically the greatest people that ever lived.  Crowds cried whenever one of them died, the whole thing is like a circus but then the whole passes down through the family and everybody is expected to pledge allegiance to the new leader.

Too similar I think.