Normal Island

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

I foresee something like a bee crisis, causing food production to fall to critical levels. 

Such would be the desperation that custodial sentences would get dished out for stamping on not just bees., but even those evil ba5tard pollinators the wasps.

Asian hornets. Utter b@st@rds.

34 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Asian hornets. Utter b@st@rds.

I spent most of the video waiting for them to mention how the bees form a ball around the arseholes and boil them alive. Clearly the Americans need to send out for some Japanese bee teachers to show their own bees how to handle hornets.

Also, yes, as a total psychopath I'm clearly going to run out and watch some of those videos where complete wrong 'uns lock insects in a container and film them tearing each other apart. Thanks for the recommendation, Vice!  :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'm pretty sure scud books aren't a thing in 2024. Thinking about it, were they even still a thing in 2004?

They'd just be a series of Private Society video screencaps at this point, surely.

They certainly were a thing in 1974 when I served an apprenticeship in a factory in Scotstoun.  And recycling was in full swing.

On 10/06/2024 at 21:19, welshbairn said:

Meanwhile Elon Musk is handing out bags of his spunk and turkey basters to his female employees.

Ironic considering his cars are driven by total w@nkers

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

I spent most of the video waiting for them to mention how the bees form a ball around the arseholes and boil them alive. Clearly the Americans need to send out for some Japanese bee teachers to show their own bees how to handle hornets.

Also, yes, as a total psychopath I'm clearly going to run out and watch some of those videos where complete wrong 'uns lock insects in a container and film them tearing each other apart. Thanks for the recommendation, Vice!  :rolleyes:

That hornet cnut looks familiar

alloaath.jpg.f40642077c84be88a1f91b000dded78a.jpg

On 10/06/2024 at 14:06, Richey Edwards said:

World's population is too high IMO. Need another major conflict/plague to bring it back to manageable levels.

There’s a school of thought that the plague (Black Death edition)  caused the renaissance. Something to do with a scarcity of labour driving up prices and expectations for the labouring classes, increased social mobility, actual mobility and investment in skills. 

Nature will get us eventually, but will have to do better than Covid. Fortunately we’ll help out with the old climate change and crowding poor people into mega cities.

You know when you see something and in your head immediately go that's one for the normal island thread

Touring billionaire who charges hundreds of pounds per person to see her donates to food bank 

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You know when you see something and in your head immediately go that's one for the normal island thread

Touring billionaire who charges hundreds of pounds per person to see her donates to food bank 

Hoping she showed up with bags of pasta, beans and pot noodles rather than just handing over cash.

Put in the effort, Swift.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

There’s a school of thought that the plague (Black Death edition)  caused the renaissance. Something to do with a scarcity of labour driving up prices and expectations for the labouring classes, increased social mobility, actual mobility and investment in skills. 

Nature will get us eventually, but will have to do better than Covid. Fortunately we’ll help out with the old climate change and crowding poor people into mega cities.

there's an idea...

dredd.jpg.aea57f67f3d40d4667754501c8744d9d.jpg

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Far be it from me to be sticking up for Taylor Swift but it's a relatively nice gesture no? A lot of superstars have not made a similar gesture

8 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Far be it from me to be sticking up for Taylor Swift but it's a relatively nice gesture no? A lot of superstars have not made a similar gesture

its a fine thing for her to do,fair play to her

it should,however,be of the greatest embarrasment to the oafs that run the country that a foreign superstar feels they need to help our starving

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

its a fine thing for her to do,fair play to her

it should,however,be of the greatest embarrasment to the oafs that run the country that a foreign superstar feels they need to help our starving

Credit where credit is due, Sunak is more than happy for pop icons to feed our starving poor so that he can concentrate on providing Sky TV to these same people.

Everybody wins.

Vote Tory, peeps.........

14 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

As long as she gets the media praise from it to highlight how amazing a person she is... 

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

As long as she gets the media praise from it to highlight how amazing a person she is... 

charitee.jpg.9dd4d294f08eaa1e69b7fc5cec0bc42a.jpg

This actually is a photo of Taylor Swift...!

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I get the sentiment but then what's the point in anyone rich doing anything nice ever? There's so many things to be annoyed at taylor swift for. Imo, this is not one of them

To be clear, Miss Swift isn't (entirely) the point I was making. How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves? How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves while tens of thousands of people attend multiple gigs at several hundred pounds a ticket plus travel, plus accommodation, plus merchandise? What does it say about the developed country where that's even conceivable, never mind where it actually happens?

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

To be clear, Miss Swift isn't (entirely) the point I was making. How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves? How many other developed countries is her tour going to where she's making charity donations because people can't afford to feed themselves while tens of thousands of people attend multiple gigs at several hundred pounds a ticket plus travel, plus accommodation, plus merchandise? What does it say about the developed country where that's even conceivable, never mind where it actually happens?

That it's probably not all that developed after all 👀

This is the world we're now in; billionaires being allowed to reduce their contribution to the rest of society, then making token gestures towards the organisations that have tried to fill the gaps they've left in exchange for uncritical praise.

7 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Plenty of food banks in the USA, Miss Swift's own country. And, there are numerous food banks in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France as well.  I have no idea what, if any, donations she has made there or even if she is playing there. 

So, we're in pretty good company to the shame of each and every one of those 'developed' countries.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Plenty of food banks in the USA, Miss Swift's own country. And, there are numerous food banks in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and France as well.  I have no idea what, if any, donations she has made there or even if she is playing there. 

So, we're in pretty good company to the shame of each and every one of those 'developed' countries.

The US was huge on food banks long before they exploded here too. We've moved toward their model of "f**k the poor, I got mine" and it won't be long before a generation won't have known life to be any different, which is how the battle's won with these societal changes.