Normal Island

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The John Lewis Christmas advert being described as "woke", presumably for encouraging people to be nice to folk that don't look or sound the same as them.

Tbf it was nailed on it was going to have a non-white family in it. My girlfriend is Nigerian and will point and laugh at the telly when every advert has non-white folk in. Have sat and cheered before when a white person appeared. But we're an interracial couple so it's fine for us because we're both demonstrably sound c***s.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The John Lewis Christmas advert being described as "woke", presumably for encouraging people to be nice to folk that don't look or sound the same as them.

The annual release of an advertisement - for a shop which sells nothing which cannot be obtained elsewhere, and probably cheaper - being seen as some kind of calendarial landmark is as clear a sign of societal decline and the rise of idiocracy as you'll find. See also the bloating of such commercial opportunities - Poppy Month (and rising), halloween decorations sprouting all over the shop a fortnight early, and fúcking Christmas. I was talking to my boss in the office on Tuesday morning - 2/11 - when I heard the fucking radio playing Boney fucking M singing Mary's fucking boychild. I am still raging.

Passing a council gritter on the M8 last night I was reminded of the fact that they are given punning names and you can follow them trundling about the county on the internet. 

I actually quite like this and find it harmless enough but it must seem odd to a German or a Norwegian. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Passing a council gritter on the M8 last night I was reminded of the fact that they are given punning names and you can follow them trundling about the county on the internet. 

I actually quite like this and find it harmless enough but it must seem odd to a German or a Norwegian. 

Dunno about that. I think the Germans have a similar thing going on. I've been tracking 'Arbeit Macht Freeze' all over Dusseldorf today.

Oh I'd never dream of going to see them now or any of their subsequent biennial T in the Park performances but at my first festival I enjoyed that closing performance.

I took my first ever shot of absinthe in that crowd during Jay-Z and was physically unable to move without heaving for an hour. What a weekend.

I took my first ever shot of absinthe in that crowd during Jay-Z and was physically unable to move without heaving for an hour. What a weekend.
I once drank what was later described to me as "the stuff you clean alloys with but you can drink it too" whilst watching the Chemical Brothers.

Similar energy. Good times.

13 hours ago, scottsdad said:

One never ending obsession for the British 

D_q6XxeW4AAuDu1.jpg

In all fairness I suspect this is true in other countries too.

I struggled to understand why inflation is bad but house inflation is good.  Then I read that more than half the national wealth is in property.

On 03/11/2021 at 23:18, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's essentially a victimless crime. Also, if the animal is dead it'll make less noise and reduce the chances of attracting unwanted attention.

As would closing the curtains!  

On 03/11/2021 at 18:14, Tommy Carcetti said:

Has he not had some sort of left turn and is 'good' now ?

On 03/11/2021 at 18:23, Detournement said:

Now that Corbyn is gone it's safe for the likes of him and George Monbiot to take left positions again as there is zero chance of them being implemented. 

I don't have the twitter so I'm probably missing a whole load of party political backbiting, but has he not been a longtime active member of the Tax Justice Network and the main force behind the Good Law Project? Each of those have done more to rein in the Tories over the last 11 years than most Corbynites will ever do. 

Plus that fox was asking for it by all accounts.