Normal Island

3 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

It is a very strange 'national' anthem, given that there is no mention of England, or indeed the UK.  The song is about loyalty to an institution rather than to a nation.  Given the limited enthusiasm for the monarchy amongst younger people even in England, it's a bit of a stretch to think that the entire England team support the monarchy.  More likely that a lot of them feel that they need to be seen to be singing the dirge to avoid grief.

It's about compliance, isn't it.

It's little wonder that people who are really, really into it get very upset that other people aren't. You aren't doing as you're told!

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Dutch anthem is weirder. It's about granting their loyalty to Gerry Britton

WTAF. Grow a pair, The Netherlands.

William of Nassau am I, of German descent;
True to the fatherland I remain until death.
Prince of Orange am I, free and fearless.
To the King of Spain I have always given honour.

On 07/09/2024 at 16:10, Parttimesupporter said:

It is a very strange 'national' anthem, given that there is no mention of England, or indeed the UK.  The song is about loyalty to an institution rather than to a nation.  Given the limited enthusiasm for the monarchy amongst younger people even in England, it's a bit of a stretch to think that the entire England team support the monarchy.  More likely that a lot of them feel that they need to be seen to be singing the dirge to avoid grief.

Love it when they suggest that Jerusalem might be a more appropriate anthem.

Whit?

On 08/09/2024 at 18:41, Cosmic Joe said:

Love it when they suggest that Jerusalem might be a more appropriate anthem.

Whit?

The only objectionable thing about that is when it's suggested by those on the right as they clearly gave no idea what it's about. It's a poem of revolution and was of huge influence on Clement Atlee (it featured heavily in his writings and early speeches) and was an anthem of both the Suffragettes and the early Labour movement. I'd argue that it was actually anarchist given its shameless idealism of a world without repression of any sort.

That it's been so often used to promote nationalism and imperialism would have Blake birling. 

5 minutes ago, velo army said:

The only objectionable thing about that is when it's suggested by those on the right as they clearly gave no idea what it's about. It's a poem of revolution and was of huge influence on Clement Atlee (it featured heavily in his writings and early speeches) and was an anthem of both the Suffragettes and the early Labour movement. I'd argue that it was actually anarchist given its shameless idealism of a world without repression of any sort.

That it's been so often used to promote nationalism and imperialism would have Blake birling. 

People who like left wing politics and don't mind dodgy singing might like to know that Billy Bragg recorded it

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.301fb26b668563c205c108df17cf31c1.png

Fitba da's living vicariously through their bairns is a hell of a thing

Woke nonsense..."children screamed in response...". When we was young, we'd ha been wading right in there along side our da's! What happened to proper hooliganism?