Motherwell vs Rangers - 31/10/21

33 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

With Aberdeen away next, do you think we are going to get another infamous "Get tae fu-" moment after being hammered? I mean, the only good side is that Odonnel won't be in tbe squad but with Mginley and Goss poised to be "rewarded' with a starting 11 spot who knows.

Settle. We’ve had a good week but we’re still the same team you held at arms length a few weeks ago. 

First Sunday I've had to work in 7 months, so I missed that today. Thank f**k.

I want to like Alexander, but by christ it's getting harder to week on week. An absolute shambles thepast few games, and the fixtures ain't getting any easier. Grim.

It wouldn’t be as worrying if we were putting in convincing performances for the points we’ve picked up but we’re now 17 competitive games into the season and baring 1 LC game against Annan, we’ve been brutal to watch.

McGinley can’t close down his man, Slattery and Goss can’t pass and S.O.D can’t do either of those things.

For 40 minutes of the game Mugabi dealt with everything that Rangers threw into our box and is one of the only players that comes out of today with pass marks. Poor positioning from McGinley causes the first goal and then not closing down his man allows the cross to come in for the second goal.

I thought Kelly, was poor at the 4th goal, he should save it but the games over then anyway.

Our midfield aren’t good enough so why on earth GA has decided that taking one body out of there will solve anything is beyond me. We have 3 attackers who can’t get into the game, relying on Tony Watt to chase down balls is not a very good strategy, he has to play in a two up top and hold the ball.

January is a huge transfer window for GA, he’s been well backed compared to previous managers, no excuse for finishing worse than last year.

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

First Sunday I've had to work in 7 months, so I missed that today. Thank f**k.

I want to like Alexander, but by christ it's getting harder to week on week. An absolute shambles thepast few games, and the fixtures ain't getting any easier. Grim.

That's what we thought three games ago...

4 hours ago, dezz said:

e2a21f49f455a2a14a7920fd7d46e8e9.jpg
Good work

The moral victory was Motherwell's. That was an outstanding effort.

4 hours ago, dezz said:

f**k off haha. Bound to happen when you don’t bother to close down any crosses.

Do Motherwell do this against everyone, or just The OF?

I didn't see today's game, but I remember watching a 1-1 draw live on tv at Fir Park v rangers not long after Alexander took over, where the wing backs tucked right in and let the rangers wide players cross at will.  I kept thinking surely they've got to get out to shut them down, but it was obviously the Manager's tactic that he fancied his centre backs to deal with everything crossed in.  It worked on that occasion I guess.

I didn't see today's game, but I remember watching a 1-1 draw live on tv at Fir Park v rangers not long after Alexander took over, where the wing backs tucked right in and let the rangers wide players cross at will.  I kept thinking surely they've got to get out to shut them down, but it was obviously the Manager's tactic that he fancied his centre backs to deal with everything crossed in.  It worked on that occasion I guess.
This is genuinely our tactic for every match. Concede possession, surrender the wide areas and trust the defence to deal with anything, then try and score from set plays or on the occasional break.

I can understand it vs Rangers or Celtic but we do it against St Mirren and Dundee as well.

It’s our tactic against everyone and it’s absolutely infuriating. I kind of understand the thinking behind it when you’ve got some big lads like Bevis and Solholm back there who you’d fancy to win most things but eventually it’ll come back to bite you in the arse.
I maybe even understand it further when your playing some of the weaker teams in the league who’s crossing accuracy is maybe not so great, but to allow the best crosser in the league the freedom to swing in cross after cross with absolutely no pressure on him is just asking for trouble as we all saw today.