Ryan Jack

greenockraver

4 hours ago, greenockraver said:

Would love to see the big man back in our CDM position. 

His performance against Serbia is something we will need come March 

Jack is a really good player, and was terrific in his last few caps for Scotland (Serbia most notably) but difficult to see where he comes into the current XI if everyone is fit. Gilmour and McGinn are pretty nailed down (and rightly so) and even McGregor despite *sometimes valid* criticisms previously of his performances for Scotland has been particularly consistent lately and does his role well. Perhaps the argument is that Jack’s style of play would suit us more against better opposition (ie in the play-offs). A nice problem to have either way!

4 hours ago, JagsCG said:

Jack is a really good player, and was terrific in his last few caps for Scotland (Serbia most notably) but difficult to see where he comes into the current XI if everyone is fit. Gilmour and McGinn are pretty nailed down (and rightly so) and even McGregor despite *sometimes valid* criticisms previously of his performances for Scotland has been particularly consistent lately and does his role well. Perhaps the argument is that Jack’s style of play would suit us more against better opposition (ie in the play-offs). A nice problem to have either way!

I think you're bang on with this. The McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn 3 is beginning to look an established and effective part of the team.

And with Hanley to come back in to the back 3 you've got the option of McTominay moving forward as well as Jack on his way back so some decent options in the middle.

I was never convinced by McGregor in the past but credit to Clark he's got him purring in that midfield engine.

There’s a long way between now and March, and he’s only just coming back from a really serious injury. 

I’d only really see Jack coming into the midfield if we were looking to play on the counter, or if we changed formation for some reason. It would give us the opportunity to move to a 4-3-3 if we wanted, but I don’t really see why we’d do that.

More likely, Jack comes in and takes McLean’s current role and covers for injuries/suspensions/comes on when we’re looking to close games out.

For me, if everyone’s fit, it’s Gilmour, McGregor & McGinn every time.

Jack would be a decent option to bring on if we’re looking to see a game out but he’s not good enough on the ball to start.

Gilmour & McGregor seem to be building a very good understanding.

McGregor is proving a vital link in the middle. As I said on another thread, he kept the ball moving, didn't waste a ball and has great vision. Clarke has him playing the way we were always looking for in a Scotland shirt. Ryan Jack just gives us some great depth to the squad.

If we have a fully fit squad then I don't see how he gets into the starting 11, as Gilmour has now taken his place and takes us to another level. 

However we're still very short with outright central midfielders, as the Euros proved. Armstrong can't play the position properly against decent sides and McTominay doesn't seem to have the discipline to play the position the way we'd want him to either. For the moment I'd feel better with Jack as backup then, say, Lewis Ferguson.

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

If we have a fully fit squad then I don't see how he gets into the starting 11, as Gilmour has now taken his place and takes us to another level. 

However we're still very short with outright central midfielders, as the Euros proved. Armstrong can't play the position properly against decent sides and McTominay doesn't seem to have the discipline to play the position the way we'd want him to either. For the moment I'd feel better with Jack as backup then, say, Lewis Ferguson.

Aye, I think that’s fair. I think the biggest compliment for Jack is that both Gerrard and Clarke trust him, but I don’t see him fitting into the starting 11 at the moment. However, the earlier claim that there are 5 better players than him in his role is nonsense.