YouTube Vids

NotThePars

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

🙄 @ Youtube/Google and the great idea of warning and then banning viewers who continue to use adblockers at three strikes. .......Gee, that will bring in more viewers and more cash.

Choices are put up with the poor quality ads, some of which are unsuitable for children, pay YouTube for a subscription that only half works on stopping ads or go elsewhere to watch content.

The excuse is that preventing adblockers allows YouTube to stay free for billions of people around the world. Youtube made $29.2 billion revenue in 2022, 1.3% up from 2021. Their execs are on 6 figure annual salaries not including bonusses. The financial struggles they have to keep this platform going......

Currently I'm getting average of around 6 ads in 20 minutes 2 of which are unskipable. I don't remember a time without an adblocker that there has been an absolute saturation of ads on Youtube videos, Youtube/Google have definately raised the number of ads to annoy people into buying their Premium ad free service. I've not seen anything dodgy so far just poor quality games for phones, but some people have complained about ads that would not be suitable for children. Not sure if these ads harm a computor or phone.

Always thought the best of the Youtube years was between 2008-2018, especially for game playthroughs.

Not a rant, just a wee bit of frustration at the way the world is going.

https://www.businessofapps.com/data/youtube-statistics/

Comments on Reddit -

1 hour ago, CityDave94 said:

🙄 @ Youtube/Google and the great idea of warning and then banning viewers who continue to use adblockers at three strikes. .......Gee, that will bring in more viewers and more cash.

Choices are put up with the poor quality ads, some of which are unsuitable for children, pay YouTube for a subscription that only half works on stopping ads or go elsewhere to watch content.

The excuse is that preventing adblockers allows YouTube to stay free for billions of people around the world. Youtube made $29.2 billion revenue in 2022, 1.3% up from 2021. Their execs are on 6 figure annual salaries not including bonusses. The financial struggles they have to keep this platform going......

Currently I'm getting average of around 6 ads in 20 minutes 2 of which are unskipable. I don't remember a time without an adblocker that there has been an absolute saturation of ads on Youtube videos, Youtube/Google have definately raised the number of ads to annoy people into buying their Premium ad free service. I've not seen anything dodgy so far just poor quality games for phones, but some people have complained about ads that would not be suitable for children. Not sure if these ads harm a computor or phone.

Always thought the best of the Youtube years was between 2008-2018, especially for game playthroughs.

Comments on Reddit -

Install Brave browser without any adblock extensions and just the Shields (which is their in built adblocker) turned on and it will still block any adds on Youtube. You can import bookmarks and passwords directly from Chrome if that's what you're using just now.

I find Youtube totally unwatchable without some form of ad blocking. It's far far too intrusive. These companies will never learn. Most people would tolerate some form of advertising if it wasn't so overwhelming. 

5 hours ago, Pepper said:

Install Brave browser without any adblock extensions and just the Shields (which is their in built adblocker) turned on and it will still block any adds on Youtube. You can import bookmarks and passwords directly from Chrome if that's what you're using just now.

I find Youtube totally unwatchable without some form of ad blocking. It's far far too intrusive. These companies will never learn. Most people would tolerate some form of advertising if it wasn't so overwhelming. 

It's getting to that stage, about to see a photo, video or account of the sasquatch, and it jumps to a Tui ad, with a stupid woman in a swimming costume.

Boils my piss.

Thank you.

I cannot overstate how incredible this video from Kurzgesagt is. Earth's history in an hour and to scale. I long form watch that more than holds its on in the current climate of shorter and shorter clips 

I like watching old news clips on YouTube.  I stumbled on this one, various BBC local news reports about the run up to the Castle Morton rave - a free party on a common land that saw 25,000 people attending.  It was the motivation behind the Criminal Justice Act, which came in in 1994 and outlawed unlisenced raves.  

Highlight for me is when a local landowner appears, speaking for the travellers, and is interviewed while holding her falcon as a symbol of her authority.

On 03/11/2023 at 05:51, CityDave94 said:

Comments on Reddit -

YouTube (and Meta) now under suit in Eire and the EU for scanning computers via scripts to seek ad blockers without getting permission, per law.

https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2023/11/11/meta_youtube_criminal_charges/

On 27/08/2022 at 12:34, Hedgecutter said:

Was in the middle of watching a film offshore yesterday, until somebody managed to connect their phone to the TV via Bluetooth, playing this thing below.  Whole room ended up watching it, all in stitches saying "WTF???!!!!"

Even today, I can still hear that noise those yellow things make.

Reminds me a bit of the Mighty Bush, albeit with a bit of gore thrown in.

That was worth the 56 mins or whatever it was

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2023 at 12:03, Pepper said:

Thanks but I'll still use Firefox for the moment. I checked up on Brave and I'll keep that in mind, looks good. I aware that Google intentionally interferes with the performance of rival browsers as it has repeatedly done with Firefox to get people to switch to Chrome. I really dislike them, but at the moment they (Google) are an evil I have to put up with just like Microsoft. I do aim to try something else in the future regarding a different search engine. I'd stay clear of bing.

I have a list of my favourite YT channels so I don't forget and miss anything, handy because I've now found that using Firefox in private browsing works to give non ad saturated youtube viewing along with an ad blocker of choice. Firefox private browser clears browser history, tracking and cookies etc leaving no information behind when you close it leaving Google/Youtube nothing. You can program Firefox private browser to retain your browser history if you wish and other preferences, good as it gives you back control of your browsing preferences and information, which Google doesn't want. Its a useful alternative to putting up with Youtube and their greedy, we can do what we want because we are now Google shenanigans.

Funny before YT declared war on ad-blockers there was a lot of people that never realised that ad-blockers existed, now they do.

• 1 month later...