Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

I don't think Clarke will make any massive changes like starting Hickey in a game of this magnitude, regardless of whether folk think he's the best option (he probably isn't).

Admittedly my knowledge of Ukraine's set up is non-existent so, unless he amends our starting line up dramatically to cope with what they bring I'd expect something like:

Gordon
McTominay* Hanley Tierney 
Patterson* Mcgregor Gilmour Robertson
Armstrong* Mcginn
Adams

The three asterisks being potentially Hendry ahead of McSauce though I'm sure I've seen someone mention he's not been playing due to a couple of red cards? O'Donnell ahead of Patterson simply because he's not played (though that's not stopped him before) and Clarke likes O'Donnell, and as much as I adore Big Daddy Dykes it's impossible to ignore how well Adams has been playing of late, I suspect he will go with the two off the striker in this game with Armstrong over Christie. 

Scotland 2-0. McGinn with all 3. 

Edited by Big Fifer

Will this go ahead still even?

If the situation escalates from going into those rebel areas onto open all out war on the rest of the Ukraine would the Ukrainians want to or be able to play that fixture.

Been having doubts over the fixture since the start of the crisis. 

I would not blame them for requesting a withdrawal if things do get a lot worse as football for them would certainly not be a priority at all.

I don't see what would be gained by Ukraine from calling this off. Their players will want to play, and you'd imagine getting to a World Cup would be a massive boost to the country as well as more generally drawing interest from the football community. I'd actually say it's more likely that Russia end up being unable to play if there are sporting sanctions applied by UEFA and others.

56 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

If the situation escalates from going into those rebel areas onto open all out war on the rest of the Ukraine would the Ukrainians want to or be able to play that fixture.

I would not blame them for requesting a withdrawal if things do get a lot worse as football for them would certainly not be a priority at all.

Yeah was thinking this myself. If things escalate then I can’t see how Ukraine can/will want to or even be able to fulfil the fixture. I don’t think we would get a bye to the final though and reckon it would be next taxi off the rank - Finland who finished third in Ukraine’s group.

Unlikely but could Russia also be expelled from the playoffs?

Situation like this would galvanise an Ukrainian team. Be aware Scotland

5 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
11 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

Situation like this would galvanise an Ukrainian team. Be aware Scotland

I agree, I don’t see any reason why Ukraine wouldn’t want to play the fixture if it was up to them.

10 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I agree, I don’t see any reason why Ukraine wouldn’t want to play the fixture if it was up to them.

If things go beyond the disputed territories in to full blown invasion and war I'm not exactly sure how they leave the Ukraine with guaranteed safety there and back whilst people are being bombed. 

If things go beyond the disputed territories in to full blown invasion and war I'm not exactly sure how they leave the Ukraine with guaranteed safety there and back whilst people are being bombed. 

They would have enough overseas based players to fulfil the games, both of which will be away from home anyway.

4 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Looking at the number of seats left available today I have given up any hope of being able to get a ticket in the general sale on Monday. Any suggestions for best pubs to watch Scotland games in these days in Glasgow?

Very dispiriting for us non SSC members. Monday, shortly after 10am, is going to be a right sickener for those who missed out. 

On 22/02/2022 at 11:35, Tattie36 said:

Yeah was thinking this myself. If things escalate then I can’t see how Ukraine can/will want to or even be able to fulfil the fixture. I don’t think we would get a bye to the final though and reckon it would be next taxi off the rank - Finland who finished third in Ukraine’s group.

Unlikely but could Russia also be expelled from the playoffs?

For an entirely different reason, Russia are already out of the World Cup. As fans of the Olympics will know, the court of Arbitration for sport has banned them from international sporting events over doping violations. UEFA competitions do not fall under this jurisdiction so they were allowed to participate in euro 2020 and in the qualifiers for the World Cup, but should they qualify for Qatar they’ll be playing under a neutral flag. 

Could go either way, now reservists can't leave the country it depends how many players are enrolled or if they would get an exemption. But yes, i imagine these guys will be pretty passionate at the time we play them so this could work against us.

Edited by red23

I am sure Ukraine will be able to play unless there is a massive ramp up and a full invasion. One does wonder however if players who play for Shaktar Donetsk would be available if they are part of the separate state / republic under Russian control. 

I may be miles out, but I hope the worst that happens is like Crimea Russia takes the small parts that are under Russian separatists and that is that. 

One thing is for sure at this rate the ROW would like to see Ukraine qualify for World Cup. To be fair I probably would if it was anyone except Scotland. Hope we keep the head and concentrate on our own game and getting to the play off final. 

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

I am sure Ukraine will be able to play unless there is a massive ramp up and a full invasion. 

Oh dear……..

God knows what is happening or going to happen now. In truth football should be furthest from the mind at this moment in time 🤷‍♂️🙏

Oh dear……..
God knows what is happening or going to happen now. In truth football should be furthest from the mind at this moment in time [emoji2369][emoji120]
Should be but it's natural to think about it, considering there's f**k all any of us can do about the situation.