CB - Artem Shabahov (Fehervar)

LB - Edouard Sobol (Club Brugge)

CM - Viktor Kovalenko (Spezia)

CM - Oleksandr Zinchenko (Man City)

RW - Andriy Yarmolenko (West Ham)

CAM - Ruslan Malinovskyi (Atalanta)

LW - Oleksandr Zubkhov (Ferencvaros)

CF - Roman Yaremchuk (Benfica)

It's going to be a really good look for FIFA if Ukraine withdraw and Russia are allowed to compete at the tournament.

They've always hid behind the "football is non-political and brings people together" shite, but it'll be quite impressive to allow that when they've kicked countries out for fielding ineligible players in youth games before.

43 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's going to be a really good look for FIFA if Ukraine withdraw and Russia are allowed to compete at the tournament.

They've always hid behind the "football is non-political and brings people together" shite, but it'll be quite impressive to allow that when they've kicked countries out for fielding ineligible players in youth games before.

Won't happen 

Yugoslavia is the precedent 

1 hour ago, bendan said:

Polish players and FA saying they won't play against Russia. 

Due to the escalation of the aggression of the Russian Federation towards Ukraine, the Polish national team does not intend to play the play-off match against Russia.

"This is the only right decision. We are in talks with the Sweden and Czech Republic to present a common position to Fifa."

I wonder what they will do if all three agree to not play them.

Can you imagine if Scotland, Wales and Austria took a similar stance and refused to play a game where the country was under attack.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Ukraine could field this side of overseas only players:

GK - Andriy Lunin (Real Madrid)

RB - Vitaliy Mykolenko (Everton)

CB - Taras Kacharaba (Slavia Prague)

CB - Artem Shabahov (Fehervar)

LB - Edouard Sobol (Club Brugge)

CM - Viktor Kovalenko (Spezia)

CM - Oleksandr Zinchenko (Man City)

RW - Andriy Yarmolenko (West Ham)

CAM - Ruslan Malinovskyi (Atalanta)

LW - Oleksandr Zubkhov (Ferencvaros)

CF - Roman Yaremchuk (Benfica)

Assuming anyone of them would want to play 

They’ll have family and friends in Ukraine, possibly laying down their lives as we speak. 

2 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Whilst this is true, Zelenskiy strikes me as someone who would allow the squad to travel. Let’s be honest, the world will be watching this game, and putting out a strong show of defiance on the pitch will boost the spirits of Ukrainians in the streets of Ukraine.

Monday 10am, although from last check, it’ll be a scramble.

I'll be phoning for disabled seats, so hopefully there's a few left.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

South Africa were expelled for FIFA for many years during the apartheid era.

For refusing to field mixed teams. It wasn't a sanction for their domestic politics (although obviously one leads from the other).

Had they agreed to field mixed teams and continued with apartheid in ebery other aspect of policy they would have been back in. 

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

The rest of the major nations need to say they won't take part if Russia are there. FIFA won't care if Poland refuse to take part. They'll be shitting themselves if Spain, France, Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina, USA etc say that they won't go.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Just now, craigkillie said:

South Africa were expelled for FIFA for many years during the apartheid era.

Good point. I don't remember their players being allowed to compete under another name either, which is something that's being mentioned as a possibility for Russia.

I was just about to ask what @invergowrie arab just posted; that was what I remember being the reason for their suspension from FIFA. There's very little that FIFA seem willing to take a stand over, except money.

The rest of the major nations need to say they won't take part if Russia are there. FIFA won't care if Poland refuse to take part. They'll be shitting themselves if Spain, France, Germany, England, Brazil, Argentina, USA etc say that they won't go.

USA seem to have been planning a boycott for a while based on their qualifying form.

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Agreed.

If it gets to that point, hopefully the SFA will jump on board with the nations that (if we're being honest) actually matter on the world stage, rather than swithering in case we can qualify for a weakened tournament.

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Good point. I don't remember their players being allowed to compete under another name either, which is something that's being mentioned as a possibility for Russia.

I was just about to ask what @invergowrie arab just posted; that was what I remember being the reason for their suspension from FIFA. There's very little that FIFA seem willing to take a stand over, except money.

It's an interesting wee sub plot in the history of football administration if you are sad enough to be into that sort of thing.

Stanley Rous' lobbying for South Africa and Rhodesia sowed the seeds for his eventual defeat to Havalange.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's an interesting wee sub plot in the history of football administration if you are sad enough to be into that sort of thing.

Stanley Rous' lobbying for South Africa and Rhodesia sowed the seeds for his eventual defeat to Havalange.

Russia should just be banned from all sport for a year due to endless doping 

3 minutes ago, Binos said:

Russia should just be banned from all sport for a year due to endless doping 

Agree.

I would also agree that countries should have sporting sanctions applied for political actions as part of a suite of sanctions.

The problem is you probably just end up reinforcing unequal power structures and relative morality eg easy to ban DR Congo from AFCON but England were never going to be banned from Euro 2004 for the Iraq invasion.