Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Yes, we'll tell the people of Ukraine they can't watch their team try for qualification later in the year due to international windows yada yada 

Just pointing out that this game can't be played "any time between now and the World Cup". I'm sure the people of Ukraine would also be confused when you decided their match should be in August 2022 and then neither side can field a team because they're playing for their clubs.

11 hours ago, Donathan said:

Just in the last five years or so. 

Do you have a source? I looked back and couldn't find anything on that.

I saw that in June 2018 the FIFA rankings system was adjusted to stop teams manipulating their ranking by not playing friendlies, but it didn't say the solution was to make international friendlies mandatory.

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Do you have a source? I looked back and couldn't find anything on that.

I saw that in June 2018 the FIFA rankings system was adjusted to stop teams manipulating their ranking by not playing friendlies, but it didn't say the solution was to make international friendlies mandatory.

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/06/15/09/2061509_DOWNLOAD.pdf

This seems to be the oldest mention I can find of centralised friendlies. France (who automatically qualified for euro 2016 as host) were compelled to play friendlies against one of the smaller groups. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Just pointing out that this game can't be played "any time between now and the World Cup". I'm sure the people of Ukraine would also be confused when you decided their match should be in August 2022 and then neither side can field a team because they're playing for their clubs.

If they were willing to admit any humanity their clubs could easily allow them for one weekend 

Rugby do it every year as part of their regular programme 

22 minutes ago, Donathan said:

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/06/15/09/2061509_DOWNLOAD.pdf

This seems to be the oldest mention I can find of centralised friendlies. France (who automatically qualified for euro 2016 as host) were compelled to play friendlies against one of the smaller groups. 

Thanks man, appreciated. I'm not totally convinced, but it's not worth spending time looking further in to.  

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You keep saying that but I cannot see why not.  If possible play in June on one of the Nations League dates and if impossible then try the September dates.  Difficult to schedule later than then so perhaps Ukraine will either have to withdraw or play a foreign based team.  Nations League games are not the footballing priority.....the world cup is.  Re-schedule for later in the year and have triple headers instead of double headers as they did to catch-up due to Covid. Nations League games could even be played next March if necessary.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's a pass from me.

Hi people of Ukraine 

We can't accommodate a later game cause there's a string of boring as f**k samey league games on and fans don't like that rugby do it

Cheers 

Hi people of Ukraine 
We can't accommodate a later game cause there's a string of boring as f**k samey league games on and fans don't like that rugby do it
Cheers 
I was quite obviously being flippant, but if you want to go down the perma-serious ultra-bore route then there are obvious differences between rugby and football which make things not that simple.

You keep saying that but I cannot see why not.  If possible play in June on one of the Nations League dates and if impossible then try the September dates.  Difficult to schedule later than then so perhaps Ukraine will either have to withdraw or play a foreign based team.  Nations League games are not the footballing priority.....the world cup is.  Re-schedule for later in the year and have triple headers instead of double headers as they did to catch-up due to Covid. Nations League games could even be played next March if necessary.

My issue was with the "any time", as though they can just pick out a random day in the calendar and the whole footballing world will bend over to let it happen. There are only two possible periods, three at a push, where these games can be played - March, June or at an absolute stretch, September.

The Nations League is used for seeding for Euros qualifying which kicks off next March, so I don't see how the Nations League can possibly be held back to March.

5 hours ago, forameus said:

Any indication as to when we're supposed to get an answer?  Has to be soon surely

Stating the bleeding obvious here a bit, but the game is on until It isnae.  There's not some magical date on which UEFA/FIFA will announce that the match will or won't go ahead, but if they don't announce anything to the contrary, it's happening on the 24th March.  

Reading a BBC article this morning, apparently nearly half the declared Ukraine squad listed plays in the Ukraine (see end of article). Given the state of their country now and Russian trends to bomb anyone and anything I dont see them jumping on a plane or any other form of transport to get here.

BBC News - Scotland v Ukraine: What will happen to World Cup play-off semi-final?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60518732

On 14/01/2022 at 07:08, Stellaboz said:

Get Fraser to f**k. He's had like two ok games for us and in our formation he doesn't fit in.

He was utter gubbins anytime I've seen him play wing back and as a deep playing striker? Nah.

Darijo Srna, DOF of Shakhtar Donetsk, confirms that the game has been moved to June.

This likely means that our UNL home game vs Armenia gets moved from 4th June to 16th November (when we’d play a pre-WC friendly if we qualify, so this would be instead of a friendly), and if we win the playoff SF then the final would be on 14th June so we’d have to move our trip to Armenia back to September and form a triple header with Ireland home and Ukraine away.

Also means Ukraine will be at Hampden twice in 72 hours. Playoff semi on 4th June and UNL game on 7th June.

I think UEFA will schedule two friendlies for us in the March window:

Thursday 24th March: Home vs Poland

Monday 28th March: Away vs loser of Wales/Austria

9 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Darijo Srna, DOF of Shakhtar Donetsk, confirms that the game has been moved to June.

This likely means that our UNL home game vs Armenia gets moved from 4th June to 16th November (when we’d play a pre-WC friendly if we qualify, so this would be instead of a friendly), and if we win the playoff SF then the final would be on 14th June so we’d have to move our trip to Armenia back to September and form a triple header with Ireland home and Ukraine away.

Also means Ukraine will be at Hampden twice in 72 hours. Playoff semi on 4th June and UNL game on 7th June.

I think UEFA will schedule two friendlies for us in the March window:

Thursday 24th March: Home vs Poland

Monday 28th March: Away vs loser of Wales/Austria

Is there something more recent than this? What I saw yesterday was not as concrete as you're making out.

20220306_165914.thumb.jpg.2bbe29ea52628435883632c042efbe95.jpg