Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

9 hours ago, red23 said:

I can imagine seeing your country and countrymen being blown apart might make you a wee bit more patriotic, if this ends by june what a statement they'd want to send by making it to the world cup to bring joy to their destroyed country.............on the other hand, we have Aaron Hickey and some english journeymen.

What a fucking weird statement.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It would be a very high profile expression of Ukrainian statehood on the sporting stage. Every single Ukrainian is not standing in a city fighting against the Russian invasion, not least their many professional footballers who are playing for clubs all around Europe. I don't think those guys are "using up all of their national pride", whatever that even means.

Well what I mean is that they don't require football or any other sporting contest to display their national pride, they are currently fighting and dying for their state's right to exist.

I'm not saying they couldn't raise a team from expats but these players also have family and friends that will still be inside and outside the country fighting, dying and fleeing. The players, like West Ham's Andriy Yarmolenko are still playing at club level (although Yarmolenko returned after compassionate leave) but they may decide as a nation that competitive team sport representing Ukraine , even abroad, should be put aside for the moment to concentrate on the war effort (as we did during the First and Second World Wars).

By the time June rolls round, Ukraine will likely be in the third month of conflict, goodness knows what the death toll will be or the condition of their main cities like Kyiv if Putin and his general decide to lay siege before going in.

They already have quite a high profile expression of Ukrainian statehood in the manner they're defending their country from attack. War with Russia is much higher profile than anything football with Scotland or even a World Cup appearance can provide.

There's no indication thus far that the conflict shows any signs of deescalating, quite the contrary. 

They may decide to play, you might be proven to be correct but I think all the evidence with regards the war and potential for escalation leaves the likelihood of Ukraine appearing at Hampden in June extremely dubious.

If they commit to the FIFA World Cup play-off match, then UEFA may insist that they commit to their Nations League matches too. It just seems absurd to me at the moment that they might be ready to play fixtures in June.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

35 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It's not likely to though is it, that's my point

I'm not sure, i think Vlad's made his point and will eventually find a way to claim a win. I feel/hope we've seen the worst of it.

1 minute ago, red23 said:

I'm not sure, i think Vlad's made his point and will eventually find a way to claim a win. I feel/hope we've seen the worst of it.

I hope you're right but sadly I think it's gone too far now.

Putin wants to control Kyiv and replace the leadership with a puppet regime. I think we're going to see a lot of bloodshed in the Battle of Kyiv and Odessa. The Ukrainians will, rightfully, resort to resistance tactics in response to the Russian aggressors. I can only foresee a protracted struggle along the lines of the Second Chechen War and the Soviet Union's ten year war in Afghanistan. Indeed, there are similarities to the latter conflict and the Americans will fight this war by proxy, which will prolong the struggle.

I also think the conflict will extend into Moldova, Poland, Baltic states (Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania) and, most definitely, Belarus (they are already involved).

But maybe I'm being overly pessimistic....

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Putin wants to control Kyiv and replace the leadership with a puppet regime. I think we're going to see a lot of bloodshed in the Battle of Kyiv and Odessa. The Ukrainians will, rightfully, resort to resistance tactics in response to the Russian aggressors. I can only foresee a protracted struggle along the lines of the Second Chechen War and the Soviet Union's ten year war in Afghanistan. Indeed, there are similarities to the latter conflict and the Americans will fight this war by proxy, which will prolong the struggle.

I also think the conflict will extend into Moldova, Poland, Baltic states (Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania) and, most definitely, Belarus (they are already involved).

No, not pessimistic at all. You're a ray of sunshine, a beacon of hope.

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

No, not pessimistic at all. You're a ray of sunshine, a beacon of hope.

Haha, I think I might be doomed up

Watching all that destruction and unnecessary misery on those poor souls in Ukraine is having a negative effect on me I think

Edited by Bogbrush1903

58 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:
Sky Sports have confirmed that the playoff final will be free-to-air.

The semi and the final, or just the semi?

Just the final. If either us or Wales are in it presumably - I doubt they'd have Austria v Ukraine on.

Edited by craigkillie

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

If the Russians touch any NATO country then it's WW3

21 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Did countries like Iraq, Syria or Yemen stop playing? Not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don't know.

They all played on.

Iraq won Asian Cup and played in Confederations Cup.

Syria and Yemen both reached Asian Cup.

Syria came within 1 win of contesting London 2012 Olympic qualifying intercontinental playoff in Coventry (prospect sparked 'minor controversy' IIRC).

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 14/03/2022 at 20:33, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

If the Russians touch any NATO country then it's WW3

Aye and Putin and his generals are perfectly aware of that so can't see it happening.

He's rattled his nuclear sabre specifically to avoid NATO involvement on the ground

30 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

When are we expecting to know the decided date for this game? In the initial postponement comms it said a decision expected within 48 hours but still haven’t seen anything confirming a new date.

With the situation so fluid you would expect logistically as late as possible.