Will Smith bankrupt

Firstly, that absolutely isn't staged. If there are any doubts about the slap itself, Smith's reaction in the aftermath is surely proof of that. The Academy have not given permission for him to completely lose his shit and swear on live television. With the controversial nature and widespread coverage of it, they would have released a statement to confirm it was fake by this point. There's also no chance that Rock or Smith agreed to take part in a publicity stunt which paints neither of them in a positive light.

It wasn't a particularly funny joke, but nothing excuses Smith's reaction. I'd say that it's much much further than 'a stone's throw away' from laughing at a cancer patient. Alopecia is a condition which affects nothing other than appearance. If this merits a slap, it should follow that Ricky Gervais deserves to get absolutely KO'ed if he ever hosts an awards show again. That's the nature of stand-up comedy. It shouldn't become softened because some precious celebrities may take offence.

Gone @ Chris Rock completely no selling the slap from Smith.  Proper Ultimate Warrior v Triple H vibes.

Edited by TheScarf

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Are you one of the guys who writes to ITV when Ant and Dec say "bum" on national tv?

*Sighs*

No. I'm happy enough for a comedian to say what they want.

At the same time, if they're willing to accept the profits from mocking the afflicted etc then they should understand that a chap on the jaw may be coming.

Well the guy I disagreed with posts the odd Roy Chubby Brown video so...
[emoji6]

Aye see that's the line for me. Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning said offensive things and were offensive for the sake of it- Manning literally outed himself as a racist on the Mrs Merton show. In that instance he's a racist working under the guise of comedian. Genuinely hate-filled individuals. That's not comedy, it's a stage to spout hate. I think that's entirely different to today's comedians, even the edgier ones.

43 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I'd say that it's much much further than 'a stone's throw away' from laughing at a cancer patient.

Maybe an exaggeration but the point was making fun of someone’s appearance off the back of a condition isn’t funny really. I wouldn’t ban comedians from saying much of anything really but if they are going down the edgy route they have to make pretty sure it’s funny and if it’s not you’re running the risk of really pissing people off. 

I didn’t say it was worth a slap in any case, I said smith made an Arse of himself. 

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

Surely if there's history, that's another reason for not going there?

Rock made a joke about Pinkett-Smith boycotting the Oscar so white Oscars a few years ago. 'Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rhianna's panties, i wasn't invited anyway'. Quite funny tbf, but there is some historic beef between them and i'm sure that played a part in big Will going full ice hockey player on him. 

Very strange set up within the Smith House from the outside looking in. It seems like Mrs Smith does what she likes, publicly shagging around and keeps Wills baws in a jar. From watching the clip it has a look of Will laughing at the routine before he is thrown a look of "what are you doing about this then, hust you wait till we get home". Before making an arse of himself. 

The children are a bit fucked up as well the daughter has been open about her mental health struggles and growing up amongst the circus of Hollywood won't help that. The son Jaden is the result of pushy parents to the point he seems to be having some kind of crisis about who he is Likely in part to wanting approval.

I don't think last night was fake in the least. Secretly the academy will be loving the publicity its generated with its waning viewing figures in recent years. 

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

He didn't do it without repercussions. chris Rock chose not has press charges. This type of situation happens in every day life.

You can turn it around and say if that was a member of the public that made the remark about Will Smith's wife, he'd have been slapped before he'd finished his sentence. Why is it acceptable for a comedian to do it without repercussions?

Of course he was aware of it. Him and Will Smith don't get on due to previous comments he made about her.

Someones posted what the joke was above, but its hardly a targeted campaign of terror that they said 6 years ago Chris Rock made a topical joke which called out Jada’s boycott. She is a shite actress and no where near Oscar calibre. Have any of you ever listened to excerpts from their podcasts or the shite that the kids come out with? The Smith’s are complete head cases. Chris Rock was being shite with the joke last night, but its hardly the worst thing anyone’s ever said at an awards show. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Someones posted what the joke was above, but its hardly a targeted campaign of terror that they said 6 years ago Chris Rock made a topical joke which called out Jada’s boycott. She is a shite actress and no where near Oscar calibre. Have any of you ever listened to excerpts from their podcasts or the shite that the kids come out with? The Smith’s are complete head cases. Chris Rock was being shite with the joke last night, but its hardly the worst thing anyone’s ever said at an awards show. 

It doesn't have to be a targeted campaign of terror to f**k someone off.

Seth McFarlane said stuff that could be construed as being of equal offence at the Oscars a couple of years ago. And there is of course Gervais at the BAFTAs who insulted pretty much everyone - some again could construe many of his jokes as being offensive. This was the third time that Chris Rock had hosted the Oscars and apparently he offended Jude Law the first time he presented, with Sean Penn riding in to Law's rescue...

The Hollywood bubble are very clearly a pretentious and sensitive bunch - that is not in debate. The way they talk about their industry and performances and their art as if they provide mankind with a gift whilst at the same sacrificing so much in giving us that gift. Will Smith's acceptance speech a case in point.

The overtly pretentious ones deserve to be ridiculed and laughed at every opportunity and Will Smith and his family very much fall in to that category - every one of the family maintains an air of supreme importance. And this comes after inflicting After Earth on us.

Whether Chris Rock is also part of this bubble is also a point of debate but by inviting him along the producers of the Oscars knew the material they would get and those in attendance knew there was a chance they would be at the butt of his jokes. Is there a line to be crossed in that context - probably but a lame joke about alopecia is not it. 

18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It doesn't have to be a targeted campaign of terror to f**k someone off.

The first joke was a dig at Jada being obviously deluded about her self importance and was entirely spot on. The second joke was in poor taste but to stand up walk over and slap the man like a little gimp is a hysterical overreaction. 

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

There are cultural issues that make any mention of black American women's hair iffy. 

Smith clearly over-reacted, but it also clearly wasn't the time or place for Rock to make that comment, if ever there would be a right time for that.

Had Smith not reacted, folk would still be talking about Rock's comment.

Mental, though!

Chris Rock made an entire documentary about the subject.

18 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The first joke was a dig at Jada being obviously deluded about her self importance and was entirely spot on. The second joke was in poor taste but to stand up walk over and slap the man like a little gimp is a hysterical overreaction. 

Especially when you're on camera 8 seconds before it, laughing away at the very joke you've then slapped the guy over.

He has literally only done anything about it because his wife has eyeballed him. Not because he was offended at him making fun of her, not because he was like 'whoa enough' and gave any indication he was unhappy with the tone, but because his wife wanted him to. 

Will Smith is an odd guy, always has been. His wife is a total piece of work though.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Sigh! One privileged millionaire makes a crappy and completely unfunny joke about another privileged millionaire's, privileged millionaire wife and the second privileged millionaire shows he can't take a fucking joke in front of an obscene number of people watching on TV wishing they were privileged millionaires. Apparently being a privileged millionaire gives you carte-blanche to publicly assault someone with absolutely no consequences.

I bet Ricky Gervais is having a few panic attacks this morning. 😆

I don't get it when people bring wealth in to things like this. This scene could have played out in any comedy club in the country. Just because someone is millionaire doesn't mean anything here - well, except for the fact that the people involved and the venue make it news. 

It's like when well paid footballers play poorly and fans say stuff like "Why isn't he motivated? He gets paid loads!" ignoring basic human psychology.

59 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Will Smith is a textbook narcissist and so is his wife, hence the kids with their names and careers. Understand that and the context of his wife pumping his son's pal and the slap and his speech make sense.