Austin MacPhee

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes.

How does that play into the set piece tactic of McGinn starting on the goal-line?

I'm not being deliberately thick here.  How does McGinn's presence pin the goalkeeper back?

If the keeper moves forward. McGinn isn't offside, I dont think I need to fill in the blanks from there. I am assuming where the ball is played from isn't important. I haven't seen any thing that states that.

Edited by 2426255

Just now, 2426255 said:

If the keeper moves forward. McGinn isn't offside, I dont think I need to fill in the blanks from there. I am assuming where the ball is played from isn't important.

Eh?

Seriously?

If an attacker is beyond absolutely everyone, he's onside.  Are you sure?

Am I being elaborately whooshed?

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Eh?

Seriously?

If an attacker is beyond absolutely everyone, he's onside.  Are you sure?

Am I being elaborately whooshed?

Seriously.

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Seriously.

The law says this:

"A player is in an offside position if any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent."

That surely means if you're nearer to the goal line than both the second last and last opponent, you're still offside.  

I still feel like the victim of a prank by even participating in this discussion.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The law says this:

"A player is in an offside position if any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent."

That surely means it you're nearer to the goal line than both the second last and last opponent, you're still offside.  

I still feel like the victim of a prank by even participating in this discussion.

I've told you why, I don't care if you believe it.

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

This is either a whoosh or numbers doesn't understand the offside law and is doubling down. 

I'm genuinely torn between the options.

For a while, I was starting to question everything I'd always thought I'd known about offside.  'Riddled with self doubt' is pretty much my default setting, so my world was somersaulting.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

McGinn is miles offside.  I assume he’s standing there for any kind of rebound or second ball.  Kyogo did it for Celtic, stood 25 yards offside and then came into play as soon as he was behind the ball. 

Edited by adamntg
Oops, obv I meant offside.

Also pretty sure its made up nonsense. Purely on the basis that if it was such a brilliant & valid tactic, someone else would have thought about it long before our coaching staff.

And, they would've actually made it work.

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

In short it's not a big concern for me. We are also absolutely immense at winning the ball back when the opposition has a throw in. Something to watch out for and obviously why we kick it out of play from kick-off

A genuinely disgraceful and prehistoric 'tactic'. Embarrassing to watch.

Edited by DA Baracus

Albania scored inside 25 seconds after that exact kick-off.

In terms of the McGinn thing, it seemed to me that it was so that when the corner went to the back post, he could come back out and be onside for a header across the goal. He's going to start off unmarked, so he might stay that way too.