Next Permanent Hibernian Manager

Guest Bob Mahelp
35 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Yeah, and Strachan is on record for talking total pish

This is the only sensible post of the last few hours. 

There seems to be a Dundeefestation on here. Have I missed something ? McPake...surely not ? 

7 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

For what it's worth, I think Hibs would be mad not to look seriously at McInnes. He could take this Hibs team and turn it into a top 3 side within 6 months.

I get the impression that...despite all the evidence to the contrary over the last 50 years....Hibs fans believe that they're somehow entitled to some kind of mystical, swashbuckling, Brazil 1970's type football. 

There's a perception that because McInnes's Aberdeen side were fairly decent at digging out hard-fought wins at a point where we maybe weren't playing so well, McInnes is naturally a dour, boring manager. 

That's absolutely false. The last 16 months or so of McInnes's time at Pittodrie were poor, but before that we were often playing the best attacking football played by any Dons' side of the last 30 years. 

A Hibs side under McInnes would never have lost that game against Livi on Wednesday night. 

Yes. McInnes was a pragmatist. That meant tailoring your tactics to fit your personnel.  At the start of last season, when he had Hedges, Wright and Watkins available and playing well, he was delighted to play a more expansive game than he normally did, and we played really good stuff, scored goals and got results.  But he also knew that under normal circumstances Aberdeen would not have creative players of that quality available:  Wright only had about 6 good games before a richer club whisked him away: and the only reason Watkins and Hedges are here this season is last season's injuries.  Hedges would certainly have gone in the summer if he'd been injury free, and likewise an uninjured and on-form Watkins would not have been freed to come here.

McInnes addressed the issue directly in an interview a couple of months ago:

The only time I felt I had an Aberdeen team that could take Celtic on in a possession-based game was the 2017 Scottish Cup final. That was Jack, Shinnie, McLean in midfield, [Jonny] Hayes, [Niall] McGinn and [Adam] Rooney.......the manager’s job, primarily, is to give his team the best chance of winning the game. There’s a lot of managers who don’t do that.

Like any manager McInnes would love to play champagne football, because the fans crave it and who doesn't want to be popular. But he also believes that non-OF SPL clubs can't recruit and retain good enough players to make it work most of the time, and the evidence supports that.  He also knows bad results will get you sacked faster than pragmatic football.  His pragmatism (and other peoples" unreasonable expectations) may have got him sacked eventually but it kept him in a job for over 7 years when his peers were getting sacked within a season or two for bad results.

I hope he picks up a decent job because he deserves to, but I seriously hope he doesn't go to a rival club, particularly Hearts or Hibs.  I think he'd be an excellent manager for Hibs.  I hope his reputation for negativity means he doesn't get the chance.

15 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

For what it's worth, I think Hibs would be mad not to look seriously at McInnes. He could take this Hibs team and turn it into a top 3 side within 6 months.

I get the impression that...despite all the evidence to the contrary over the last 50 years....Hibs fans believe that they're somehow entitled to some kind of mystical, swashbuckling, Brazil 1970's type football. 

There's a perception that because McInnes's Aberdeen side were fairly decent at digging out hard-fought wins at a point where we maybe weren't playing so well, McInnes is naturally a dour, boring manager. 

That's absolutely false. The last 16 months or so of McInnes's time at Pittodrie were poor, but before that we were often playing the best attacking football played by any Dons' side of the last 30 years. 

A Hibs side under McInnes would never have lost that game against Livi on Wednesday night. 

7 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Yes. McInnes was a pragmatist. That meant tailoring your tactics to fit your personnel.  At the start of last season, when he had Hedges, Wright and Watkins available and playing well, he was delighted to play a more expansive game than he normally did, and we played really good stuff, scored goals and got results.  But he also knew that under normal circumstances Aberdeen would not have creative players of that quality available:  Wright only had about 6 good games before a richer club whisked him away: and the only reason Watkins and Hedges are here this season is last season's injuries.  Hedges would certainly have gone in the summer if he'd been injury free, and likewise an uninjured and on-form Watkins would not have been freed to come here.

McInnes addressed the issue directly in an interview a couple of months ago:

The only time I felt I had an Aberdeen team that could take Celtic on in a possession-based game was the 2017 Scottish Cup final. That was Jack, Shinnie, McLean in midfield, [Jonny] Hayes, [Niall] McGinn and [Adam] Rooney.......the manager’s job, primarily, is to give his team the best chance of winning the game. There’s a lot of managers who don’t do that.

Like any manager McInnes would love to play champagne football, because the fans crave it and who doesn't want to be popular. But he also believes that non-OF SPL clubs can't recruit and retain good enough players to make it work most of the time, and the evidence supports that.  He also knows bad results will get you sacked faster than pragmatic football.  His pragmatism (and other peoples" unreasonable expectations) may have got him sacked eventually but it kept him in a job for over 7 years when his peers were getting sacked within a season or two for bad results.

I hope he picks up a decent job because he deserves to, but I seriously hope he doesn't go to a rival club, particularly Hearts or Hibs.  I think he'd be an excellent manager for Hibs.  I hope his reputation for negativity means he doesn't get the chance.

A fair few Hibs fans I have spoken to (ok, maybe not a representative selection) have said that McInnes would be a good appointment. I agree, fwiw.

From the outsiders perspective he managed to build a good Aberdeen team in the earlier days - his problem, like many managers, was overstaying and becoming stale.

I dont blame him for that, he was offered and took a very good contract extension.

Jack Ross was a wee bit hamstrung by some poor summer transfer dealings..................but on the basis that it was utterly obvious (to us fans) that we needed players in all across the squad from January, he had a large degree of responsibility for that squad as well as Graeme Mathie.

What ultimately got him sacked was the inability to get anywhere near Plan B. I could have picked the formation he would play for the last 2 months, and any half decent opposition coach simply set up to deal with it. That the only team we could beat was a complete dugshite St Johnstone (with 10 men) tells a story.

He only brought in younger squad players (e.g. Josh Campbell) when he had no choice of senior players left. The bench was frighteningly bad, and the timings and selection of subs smacked of desperation.

Outside commentators like Michael Stewart banging on about cup finals and 3rd places have not watched every game this season - we fans have - and despite football fans being partisan, one eyed, fannies..............we can still spot tactical ineptitude, especially if it presents itself the exact same way every week for 2 months. 

A bit like Eddie Home’s procrastination this summer until Newcastle came calling, I can’t really understand what Alex Neil is expecting or waiting for tbh. His “high water Mark” was several years ago with Norwich and he was punted once the fans’ goodwill (and board’s patience) evaporated. I suppose he did fairly well at Preston, as it’s  probably the least forgiving league in Europe, and he had them comfortable for a while.

None of this however translates into him getting anywhere near a Premiership club or even a Fulham/ Bournemouth type team, so I’d have thought Hibs would be a great opportunity for both parties to rebuild and progress.

McInnes would be a really good option too for Hibs but I haven’t a clue if he fancies another shot in England or a media career. 

I can see Hibs going  through a lot of managers.  Almost like when Aberdeen lost Alex Ferguson.  To get third place in the league and two Cup finals seem to be the bench mark. Can I ask this when was the last time Hibs achieved that. This season Hibs have had injury and covid problems.  Jack deserved more time.  I'm not a Hibs fan just an outside observation.  Ross went through a bad spell with St Mirren also he came through that with flying colours.  

22 minutes ago, deegee said:

A bit like Eddie Home’s procrastination this summer until Newcastle came calling, I can’t really understand what Alex Neil is expecting or waiting for tbh. His “high water Mark” was several years ago with Norwich and he was punted once the fans’ goodwill (and board’s patience) evaporated. I suppose he did fairly well at Preston, as it’s  probably the least forgiving league in Europe, and he had them comfortable for a while.

None of this however translates into him getting anywhere near a Premiership club or even a Fulham/ Bournemouth type team, so I’d have thought Hibs would be a great opportunity for both parties to rebuild and progress.

I think Neil lives down near Preston now, so you would think the Hibs job would mean either relocating his family back to Scotland, or commuting from there - neither of which would be ideal for obvious reasons. He might be nowhere near getting a Premier League job, or even high end Championship but there’s an abundance of mid to low end Championship jobs in that area, and given the job he did at Preston you’d think he’s a leading candidate for any club looking to consolidate in that division. Many can probably pay as much or more than Hibs too. 

22 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think Neil lives down near Preston now, so you would think the Hibs job would mean either relocating his family back to Scotland, or commuting from there - neither of which would be ideal for obvious reasons. He might be nowhere near getting a Premier League job, or even high end Championship but there’s an abundance of mid to low end Championship jobs in that area, and given the job he did at Preston you’d think he’s a leading candidate for any club looking to consolidate in that division. Many can probably pay as much or more than Hibs too. 

The one vague hope I have is that if it's the Ipswich job that's tempting him then it's equally as far away to get to Ipswich as it is to Edinburgh. I reckon Ipswich would be more appealing, albeit being a former Norwich manager might count against him with the fans.

Genuinely though if it's between Lennon and McInnes I'd have preferred to keep Ross. Marginal preference for McInnes I suppose, albeit I've grown to appreciate why Lennon was so brutal to Kamberi since his sacking and could maybe warm to the idea in time. 

Might as-well just throw Stubbs into the mix if this is what we're doing.