Rangers vs St Johnstone December 15th

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

You’re persevering with this?

He was abysmal. Received the ball in space numerous times and gave it away all but once.  I’m not saying he doesn’t have something, he might well do, but we’re yet to see it other than a couple of wee flicks and turns to make himself look good.  O’Halloran was shocking as well. The reason it was E2 that was subbed was probably his half arsed attempt at a flick which indirectly led to the opener.  

Crawford was for 40 minutes also but had 5 minutes of improvement before the break. 

Crawford's second half was dreadful. I find myself agreeing with random that it's just being stubborn at this point. 

Can absolutely understand why Viv is up here trying to work off that weight. Clearly a proper player in there but the kitman needs to at least get him a shirt that's a size up. Also Butterfield will certainly be a good addition when he settles. 

Understand playing Devine for more attacking threat but we're going to need to be taking that approach in more games now. 

Learned very little tonight despite seeing a new player and more of players we've not seen so much of. 

That was as straightforward a 2-0 as you'll see and Bassey and Arfield continuing to do well under Gio.  Aribo was good but I thought Kamara - playing more in his Finland role - shaded it for MotM.  Special mention for Morelos.  Well taken goal and great set up for Kent.

St Johnstone absolutely toothless and you can see why they're bottom of the table.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

As limited at football as Chris Kane is, tonight is an example of why we generally need him starting until we get someone better.  He would have held onto it more and won a few free kicks as opposed to those tonight who surrendered possession meekly.  

But this, itself, is indicative of the problem. A first-choice striker who's main attacking threat comes through falling over. It's tragic.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Vertainen overplays and lost the ball a lot tonight. He also controlled a lot of hopeless hoofs up the park and tried to keep possession. May came on and done as we all expected, couldn't do anything physically, couldn't control any awkward ball, couldn't link play in midfield. Its a totally pointless sub that was never going to achieve anything other than to try and make a pathetic point ahead of the transfer window.

Crawford is shit. Hes absolutely not worth all the downsides for the two or three moments where he plays a half decent pass, but sadly our manager is completely infatuated with him, so he'll be a regular for us until the Summer and beyond. Its embarrassing we've reached a stage where hes first choice for us.

I thought Vertainen was very poor. It just needed somebody to be reliable and retain possession in a match like tonight, where he was careless and sloppy regularly.  I think the matches for him will be against teams of our level where we need something different to cut them open and get us a chance or a goal.

You don’t need to point that out about Crawford!  An imposter, and if he gets a contract it will be one of our worst signings in a long time.  If he was just for the squad and on the bench most weeks fair enough. Hopefully with Butterfield showing reasonably well it drops Crawford out of the starting 11.

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Crawford's second half was dreadful. I find myself agreeing with random that it's just being stubborn at this point. 

We’ve all been saying it for weeks.

All I said regarding tonight was he had a few decent contributions in the 5 minutes before ht. Tracked back into our box to cut out a cross and conceded a corner, and was involved in a wee spell of possession on the left.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I thought Vertainen was very poor. It just needed somebody to be reliable and retain possession in a match like tonight, where he was careless and sloppy regularly.  I think the matches for him will be against teams of our level where we need something different to cut them open and get us a chance or a goal.

We literally don't have a striker who can retain possession. The best we have is Kane who retains it by falling over.

Vertainen wasn't signed to be a lone striker. His whole thing is being a risk taker and thats why he was signed. I'd rather blame those who pretty much neglected to try and actually prove our completely shit attack this Summer and left us in a situation where hes forced to play on his own up front than blame him for being the player he was signed to be. Callum Davidson decided to go into this season with the knowledge only Chris Kane could play as the central striker in his preferred position.

19 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

But this, itself, is indicative of the problem. A first-choice striker who's main attacking threat comes through falling over. It's tragic.

Completely agree.  But him being able to hold the ball up or win us a set piece still makes him a better attacking option than the rest of them right now I’m afraid.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We literally don't have a striker who can retain possession. The best we have is Kane who retains it by falling over.

Vertainen wasn't signed to be a lone striker. His whole thing is being a risk taker and thats why he was signed. I'd rather blame those who pretty much neglected to try and actually prove our completely shit attack this Summer and left us in a situation where hes forced to play on his own up front than blame him for being the player he was signed to be. Callum Davidson decided to go into this season with the knowledge only Chris Kane could play as the central striker in his preferred position.

Agree in general but I think Kane’s hold up play over the past 12 months has generally been good.  Less effective more recently admittedly.

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Learned very little tonight despite seeing a new player and more of players we've not seen so much of. 

This is the exact comment I would make as well. 

Just move on to Saturday and try and get a point or three on the board. 

We'll have played 22 games when we break for winter and the way the last few weeks have gone, performances are out the window now, we need points and to be as close to 22 points as we can be. 

Turned into a relatively routine victory in the end despite St Johnstone frustrating us before our first goal then having a spell of pressure midway through the second half.

Kent started very lively and always looked dangerous coming in off the left. One shot looked well saved but nice to see him have a few efforts and looking sharp.

Tavernier was excellent defensively all night. Snuffed out a lot of attacks and must’ve won a good 3 or 4 1v1 duels. This brings me onto my next observation that Hagi wasn’t really at the races tonight and I felt he left our right hand side a little vulnerable.

Joe Aribo continues to impress and his touch to pull the ball out of the sky in the second half was sublime.

Laughable stuff from the St Johnstone number 3, Devine I think, in the first half where he went down clutching his face, only to miraculously recover after the ball rolled back towards him.

I also haven’t seen the Craig dive/penalty shout back but if he has dived, what a complete moron, just have a pop at goal, you’re through.

Some neat play in and around the box but at times it felt like we were overworking it.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Turned into a relatively routine victory in the end despite St Johnstone frustrating us before our first goal then having a spell of pressure midway through the second half.

Kent started very lively and always looked dangerous coming in off the left. One shot looked well saved but nice to see him have a few efforts and looking sharp.

Tavernier was excellent defensively all night. Snuffed out a lot of attacks and must’ve won a good 3 or 4 1v1 duels. This brings me onto my next observation that Hagi wasn’t really at the races tonight and I felt he left our right hand side a little vulnerable.

Joe Aribo continues to impress and his touch to pull the ball out of the sky in the second half was sublime.

13 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

That was as straightforward a 2-0 as you'll see and Bassey and Arfield continuing to do well under Gio.  Aribo was good but I thought Kamara - playing more in his Finland role - shaded it for MotM.  Special mention for Morelos.  Well taken goal and great set up for Kent.

St Johnstone absolutely toothless and you can see why they're bottom of the table.

But are they more toothless than us?

We’ve even forgot where we put our falsies. 

2 hours ago, Girth said:

But are they more toothless than us?

We’ve even forgot where we put our falsies. 

Oh come on.  You've probably scored more OGs than the Fermers' front line have scored actual goals.  You're shite but you're entertaining shite.

They played with a back 3/5 last night and if you combined that with 5 of your midfield/forwards you'd be ahead of the DABs and fighting Hearts for third.  A merger makes sense...