UEFA Nations League 2024 Onwards

Playing Peru instead of Israel at Hampden would certainly be more interesting.  Given the games are all in Europe, we'd likely get more tickets for an 'away' fixture if we were to draw a South American side.  That would be tremendous.  You'd imagine they'd be hosted in the major European footballing cities.

Also, helps put paid to the biennial World Cup plans.  Not much of what UEFA does is good, and this could still go wrong, but I'd welcome that right now.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The only downside is the away games being played in Europe, hopefully that changes over time. We'd basically be up and down to London every single time.

Would guess they will make it 24 teams in League A and rejig the other leagues accordingly.

Would that be a problem though?  Playing Ecuador in Lisbon (for instance) would be no different than playing Armenia in Armenia?

The downside would be playing Venezuela in London (close, but not exciting) or playing Paraguay in Baku (too bloomin' far).

The upside is that you get an away game against a country we seldom or never play against, and the chance of tickets will be much higher?

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The downside is the not being able to travel to South America for games part, which is what I think would be the biggest appeal.

Yeah, okay. A downside for those who would go, but I suppose it’s not a loss as it was never on the cards. 

At least there is novelty value, and I’d fancy our chances more in Portugal than the Andes.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Why stop at South America? 

The nations league could be a worldwide thing. Get rid of all international friendlies. Give up a month each year, something shite like February, just for the internationals. There might be downsides to asking Guyana to travel to Guam so they can regionalise it below a certain level. 

1st division: top 16 teams
2nd division: next 16
3rd: next 16
4th: next 16

then regionalise it below that. If you made the groups on a serpentine "draw" Scotland would be in the third tier in a group with Australia, Paraguay and Ecuador. 

I am sure Liverpool will see no issue with their left back travelling across the world three times in a month for a kickabout

I like this idea in principle - but this is UEFA and CONEMBOL just trying to stave off FIFA's plans for Biennial World Cup - another card on table, that I reckon will result in a FIFA World Club Cup.

Obviously keeping games exclusively in Europe is just shit, so it'll just be games in London - which is hosting "International Cup" (Argentina vs Italy) in June (which should be played in Naples ffs)

Other sports deal with similar distances - South African Rugby teams play in a domestic league with Scottish sides - so it's not like the travel issues can't be overcome.

12 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

From 2024, CONMEBOL (South America) will be added into the UEFA Nations League.

The Top 6 teams will join League A, with the other 4 joining League B. All games will be played in Europe.

05E515BF-58C8-433D-879C-C9365A5085DC.jpeg

2AB539B3-8668-4A95-92D9-AC118D81DCC4.jpeg

I blame arsene wenger 

Interesting. Always thought one of the most annoying things about international football is that you don't often get to see cross-confederation matches, outside of the World Cup. It still seems like something that would be hard to schedule due to the distances involved, recovery time, etc. Unless they're going to stick to European-based players only. Wonder which pots everyone will end up in. Would it be fair to say that Venezuela probably aren't any worse than Pot B?

I'd like to see us playing more non-UEFA/CONMEBOL sides. Finally we'd find out if we really are better than "shite" nations who hop above us on the World Rankings.

I remember the days when the likes of Santos were legendary and it would be beyond belief to get a Brazilian or Argentinian player to sign for even a top European club. Now their players are for hire globally at nearly all levels, and their national teams will be an invited adjunct to a concocted European competition and TV schedule, with no opportunity for any but the wealthiest of their fans to attend. It's all a bit depressing.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I reckon they could get more teams involved and call it something like a “World Cup”. 

I still fancy a diddy World Cup as a warm-up to the main event. Invite, say, the sixteen worst teams in the world and set them loose on each other over a couple of weeks. Might be more fun than the tournament proper, and allow them to rack up a few rare wins.

5 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

So the south Americans still have the old friendly system? It would make sense for them to play in the NL so as to escape those largely pointless fixtures.

From their perspective it makes sense, and playing a couple of games against new opposition isn’t terrible for us.

The SA sides play more international matches than UEFA (their qualifiers for WC are 18 games), and they all qualify for the Copa America. 

Unnecessarily gimmicky nonsense. Those teams would be treating the competition as glorified friendlies, but the European teams can have World Cup/European Championship qualification based on those matches? I'd leave it as it is. If you must do it, make it all the continents and have it so that it no longer affects qualification.