St Mirren v Celtic 22/12/21

Just going to quote my first post on this thread..

On 20/12/2021 at 19:04, Ric said:

Could we sneak a draw? I mean... possibly?

Ultimately, an injury free game where we at least look somewhat competitive, that's all I ask for.

:D

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I seem to remember that the vast majority of the players who were left to play the games were full internationals.

7 hours ago, FTOF said:

Bullshit.

As I pointed out earlier, they had half a dozen international players in their line up plus Ralston and Welsh who are first pick this season.

No surprise to see one of the arse cheeks sticking up for the other. You're just the same really.

6 hours ago, AB1872 said:

WOW!!

You are honestly comparing Celtic’s I’ll fated Dubia fiasco to what happened with St Mirren? 

Celtic had nobody to blame for that but themselves! 

St Mirren have nobody to blame except for the SPFL who insisted they play their game and the footballing authorities bending their own rules. 

Every club has suffered to a certain degree due to Covid restrictions but none come close to what St Mirren ‘suffered’ last night

So, the poster claimed celtic wouldnt have been forced to play when indeed they were, doesnt matter what squad was left, strength of squad left is a completely different matter to saying that x team wouldnt have been forced to play while y team were

And as it stands it was the correct decision arguably given its a valuable point for st mirren surely? 

7 hours ago, houston_bud said:

What got me with that was the fact that the league changed the rules on bringing back loan players, but only for the boys in the lowland league. We weren't allowed to recall Lewis Jamieson from ICT, who would've almost certainly started if he'd been back, Daniel Finlayson from Kelty, or Cammy Macpherson (although I think he's injured) from St Johnstone. 

Seemed like they were making the rules up as they went along. 

Might be a wages thing as well, financially it doesn't benefit st mirren to bring back guys for 2 games whos wages are all or majority being paid by another club, especially if the loan contract was for a full season, bring back the youngsters for two games and it's what? 50 quid a week for the youngest of them? 

St. Mirren "We have ELEVEN first team players out due to covid-19, can he have a postponement or 2?"

SPFL "Naw, play the games, pad out your squad with your U18s if need be."

Rangers "We might have THREE players out during the African Cup of Nations, can we have a postponement or 2?"

SPFL "Aye, nae bother, just tell us which games and we'll sort you right out."

44 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

St. Mirren "We have ELEVEN first team players out due to covid-19, can he have a postponement or 2?"

SPFL "Naw, play the games, pad out your squad with your U18s if need be."

Rangers "We might have THREE players out during the African Cup of Nations, can we have a postponement or 2?"

SPFL "Aye, nae bother, just tell us which games and we'll sort you right out."

Rangers have already played a game when the team had many players and our management team missing. Easy to guess who it was against. 

I believe the rules regarding international call ups are the same for all clubs? 

50 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Might be a wages thing as well, financially it doesn't benefit st mirren to bring back guys for 2 games whos wages are all or majority being paid by another club, especially if the loan contract was for a full season, bring back the youngsters for two games and it's what? 50 quid a week for the youngest of them? 

I got the impression from Goodwin's interview that it was the league that said they couldn't come back, rather than the club making a financial decision. 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

So, the poster claimed celtic wouldnt have been forced to play when indeed they were, doesnt matter what squad was left, strength of squad left is a completely different matter to saying that x team wouldnt have been forced to play while y team were

And as it stands it was the correct decision arguably given its a valuable point for st mirren surely? 

As others have said, it’ll be interesting to see what happens (if) when Rangers ask for a postponement when they will be missing 3 players for some international tournament next month.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

It has, but off the back of the SPFL ruling on St Mirren, it will still be interesting to see the outcome. Maybe just for me though.

There was no  real ‘ruling’ on St.Mirren though, they didn’t meet the criteria. Rangers could meet a totally different criteria.  It’s a system that needs addressed but they can’t really be changed half way through a season. 

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

There was no  real ‘ruling’ on St.Mirren though, they didn’t meet the criteria. Rangers could meet a totally different criteria.  It’s a system that needs addressed but they can’t really be changed half way through a season. 

Doesn’t make it any less interesting for me. I’m a sad old bugger.