St Mirren v Celtic 22/12/21

I hadn't realised just quite how depleted St Mirren were after the authorities ensured this game would go ahead. A fine result indeed, and plenty of Celtic fans having to not let the mask slip and at least pretend to be a little bit magnanimous. Lovely stuff. 

This season's Sevco side aren't as good as last season's and they're still going to win the league by the split.

Celtic 😂

Angeball 😂

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The SPFL, in their desperation not to upset a big team, bent the rules. Only then did we meet the criteria. Even then we hadn't trained since last week and it was late afternoon before two players were freed from self-isolating.
There's not a chance in hell that the game would have gone ahead if it had been yourselves in that predicament.

Also, I heard that Rogic was booked for ungentlemanly conduct, as he told Keiran Offord that Santa isn't real.

Not one to defend celtic but they literally had to play games last season with 13 players and management isolating due to close contact rules nevermind actual covid cases 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

You ask me a me question then before I reply you ask me to give up?  Enough of the wagon circling please. Like a good few people on here I said the team wasn’t as bad as first thought when it was posted.

My “just give it up” post was directed at your continual posts to try to equate St Mirren’s player shortage to Celtic’s player shortage. In one text you even said that Celtic had a player in their squad that had played in the Lowland League in the past few weeks. For Celtic that was a choice that they decided to make, for St Mirren the Lowland League players in their squad were there to enable the game to be played.

17 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Not one to defend celtic but they literally had to play games last season with 13 players and management isolating due to close contact rules nevermind actual covid cases 

I seem to remember that the vast majority of the players who were left to play the games were full internationals.

Bullshit.

As I pointed out earlier, they had half a dozen international players in their line up plus Ralston and Welsh who are first pick this season.

No surprise to see one of the arse cheeks sticking up for the other. You're just the same really.

That cesspit of scummy greenyinism has been called O'connors for the past 5 or so years and thankfully didn't reopen in May after the lockdown ended.
The only Rangers or Celtic pub left in Paisley after the Croft shut and Websters burned down (shame) is the Tea Gardens.
It was open after the Hibs game, we commented on a few Hibs fans going in on the way past.

I don’t get the amount of people saying this tbh. Yes St.Mirren were down to the bare bones but they met the criteria that I think everyone agreed to. Going against it would have been a nightmare for almost certain similar situations ahead and effectively you are asking for a rule change half way through a season.
That was my take (posted likewise on here) before Goody announced that we had been forced to "bend" the loan rules (basically the authorities changing said rules) to get a squad together. That is an utter nonsense. We had a bench that we basically couldn't use at this level. If that isn't unfair advantage I don't know what is.

58 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

My “just give it up” post was directed at your continual posts to try to equate St Mirren’s player shortage to Celtic’s player shortage. In one text you even said that Celtic had a player in their squad that had played in the Lowland League in the past few weeks. For Celtic that was a choice that they decided to make, for St Mirren the Lowland League players in their squad were there to enable the game to be played.

I literally made a disclaimer it before I said that I was making no comparison. You are absolutely at it here. For the avoidance of doubt though absolutely no way our injuries etc anywhere near equated to St.Mirrens issues. 

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

WOW!!

You are honestly comparing Celtic’s I’ll fated Dubia fiasco to what happened with St Mirren? 

Celtic had nobody to blame for that but themselves! 

St Mirren have nobody to blame except for the SPFL who insisted they play their game and the footballing authorities bending their own rules. 

Every club has suffered to a certain degree due to Covid restrictions but none come close to what St Mirren ‘suffered’ last night

6 minutes ago, AB1872 said:

WOW!!

You are honestly comparing Celtic’s I’ll fated Dubia fiasco to what happened with St Mirren? 

Celtic had nobody to blame for that but themselves! 

St Mirren have nobody to blame except for the SPFL who insisted they play their game and the footballing authorities bending their own rules. 

Every club has suffered to a certain degree due to Covid restrictions but none come close to what St Mirren ‘suffered’ last night

I think his comments were regarding the statement that Celtic wouldn’t have been forced to play if they were in St Mirren’s predicament.

Fact is, Celtic were forced to play last season with lots of unavailable players, I don’t think the reason they were unavailable or the level of players still left at their disposal changes that comparison.

The thing that seems different in this case, however, is the suggestions that the SPFL have broken their own loan rules in order to force St Mirren to play. If that’s the case, it does seem extremely odd. I imagine they are worried about a fixture backlog with very few free dates left in the calendar but to bend their own rules to get a game on?

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

Thing is, we don't count who's missing, we count who's left to play. If I lost two grand it'd affect me more than if Jeff Bezos lost two billion.

It really shouldn't need explaining to anyone that teams of our size lack the strength in depth of bigger teams. Any team in the Scottish league that can lose 13 players and still field internationals needs to pipe the f**k down, IMHO.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think his comments were regarding the statement that Celtic wouldn’t have been forced to play if they were in St Mirren’s predicament.

Fact is, Celtic were forced to play last season with lots of unavailable players, I don’t think the reason they were unavailable or the level of players still left at their disposal changes that comparison.

The thing that seems different in this case, however, is the suggestions that the SPFL have broken their own loan rules in order to force St Mirren to play. If that’s the case, it does seem extremely odd. I imagine they are worried about a fixture backlog with very few free dates left in the calendar but to bend their own rules to get a game on?

Unbelievable! 

8 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Credit to St Mirren for getting a point must've been a real hard week for Jim and his backroom staff.
The boy Henderson looks a player you always get at least one stand out hopefully he will get more chances after tonight.
Only problem with the Celtic performance tonight was a goal,it's always easy to point the finger of blame set pieces, final ball, Johnston was shite,Abada wasn't good enough.
Very similar to the Livingston game at home, dropping points takes Celtic under the 100 points total.

I thought Johnston was Celtic’s best player and the one most likely to do something, especially in the first half.

It was so easy for us to defend without Celtic having a striker, and offering up little movement. 

57 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

That was my take (posted likewise on here) before Goody announced that we had been forced to "bend" the loan rules (basically the authorities changing said rules) to get a squad together. That is an utter nonsense. We had a bench that we basically couldn't use at this level. If that isn't unfair advantage I don't know what is.

What got me with that was the fact that the league changed the rules on bringing back loan players, but only for the boys in the lowland league. We weren't allowed to recall Lewis Jamieson from ICT, who would've almost certainly started if he'd been back, Daniel Finlayson from Kelty, or Cammy Macpherson (although I think he's injured) from St Johnstone. 

Seemed like they were making the rules up as they went along. 

Edited by houston_bud

Presumably the league bent the rules for Lowland League clubs because they aren’t members of the SPFL and therefore the league doesn’t care.

Certainly using this logic it’s almost impossible for Rangers/Celtic to have a COVID call-off - they’d have to use the B teams.

Whats more interesting I think is what the SFA make of it - isn’t player registration their domain?