God Save The Queen

Lex

3 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

You might not see the inequality but if you look outside your small world and into the statistics, inequality has been growing and is increasingly exponential. For instance in the 50s theratio between the average wage was about 1/20 the average CEO. These days that has increased to a ridiculous 1/100 and sometimes more.

Have CEOs really been so much better? 

CEOs just want it more m8. Obviously.

23 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Headline news on the BBC that 10,000 people are attending a huge pageant in London. There was a bigger crowd at Killie v Arbroath!

And fewer wee Dicks.

34 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I would say that there’s far less inequality now than in my day which was a good long time ago.

I was raised in a council scheme, as were most people then, with only a few going  to university and it was tough to get on. Even when progressing mortgages were severely rationed with sky high rates - I recall 15% at one point.

Nowadays, around 50% go to university with a huge variety of courses to chose from. Interest rates are low but property is expensive, I do acknowledge.

Regarding paying back to society, tax rates are progressive with the better off paying considerably more than the lesser off.

I just don’t see your point.

Opportunity is there for those want to take it.

A very good post.

People just point to stats showing inequality of outcome and say it must be the government's fault.

Wages have decreased over the years partly due to unlimited cheap labour and both genders being in the workplace.  Several decades ago, a husband and wife could raise a family comfortably on a single wage, but in most cases that's gone now.

I agree that opportunity is there for those who want to take it.  If someone wants to explain how it can't happen, then they really should show the barriers.  A lot of the time it's just down to the attitudes and interests of the socially immobile themselves, which have emerged due to culture and environment.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

26 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

If only we had an existing moral code that'd make people want to help their fellow man and not think accumulating wealth leads to happiness **cough** Christianity **cough**

Did I tell you my other essay was on Buddhism? A far better example of altruism in religion imo.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Did I tell you my other essay was on Buddhism? A far better example of altruism in religion imo.

Aye, I think you mentioned it.

Obviously I consider Christianity to be literally true which rules out Buddhism for me, but it does seem like a great system.

Although the Dalai Lama must be a far-right, white supremacist, Brexit-voting gammon, shirley?

"Dalai Lama says 'Europe belongs to the Europeans' and suggests refugees return to native countries.  'Ultimately they should develop their own country', says spiritual leader.

Christianity is that superior a moral code to live by that all those jolly good proddy Rangers fans celebrate the death and oppression of other Christians, in the name of a Christian head of state whose self-made millionaire status was borne of oppressing and rinsing other countries. 

It's a no from me Gary.

Just now, Jeff Venom said:

Christianity is that superior a moral code to live by that all those jolly good proddy Rangers fanscelebrate the death and oppression of other Christians, in the name of a Christian head of state whose self-made millionaire status was borne of oppressing and rinsing other countries

It's a no from me Gary.

Incorrect on several counts there.

Unbelievable, Jeff.

5 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

You literally said you were going to wait for a girl to get half-cut because you'd be more likely to get a ride. You are a weapons-grade creep.

You understand the meaning of literally, right?

Your the one following/stalking me through a forum you utter wierdo. Par for the course in Forfar i guess. 

1 minute ago, red23 said:

You understand the meaning of literally, right?

Your the one following/stalking me through a forum you utter wierdo. Par for the course in Forfar i guess. 

From what I can see, all DOTL ever does is throw insults.  He never seems to make a constructive post.

Each to their own I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Curious as to what morals are exclusive to Christianity? Aren't most of the stuff usually said just basic human decency that existed long before the Bible? 

Aye, I think we all have a conscience with or without Christianity, which the bible even alludes to.

My take on the Christian faith is that it's about the holy spirit transforming your heart.  Whilst most values aren't exclusive to Christianity (although a few are), we see the world differently and have different motivations for our actions.

I find that since I became 'born again', I stopped feeling the same feelings of revenge, jealousy, greed as well as many others.  You look at money, relationships, work, holidays etc differently.  

That'll probably seem like white noise to most on here, but it's how I feel.. mental as it may sound :)

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Obviously I consider Christianity to be literally true

I'm just jumping straight in here with no regard for anything anyone else has said, but do you mean this in the "I think the commandments and morals are true and everyone should live by them" true or "everything in the Bible including the Ark and the Earth being 6000 years old" true?