God Save The Queen

Lex

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Obviously I consider Christianity to be literally true

I'm just jumping straight in here with no regard for anything anyone else has said, but do you mean this in the "I think the commandments and morals are true and everyone should live by them" true or "everything in the Bible including the Ark and the Earth being 6000 years old" true?

16 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Shellfish?  Mixed fibres?  Miracles?  Witches? 🤪

You can't deny there's a lot of pish in the bible.

And a lot of books left out by the 'scholars' who put it together. 

And some translation problems. (Same goes for  Buddhism as it happens.)

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm just jumping straight in here with no regard for anything anyone else has said, but do you mean this in the "I think the commandments and morals are true and everyone should live by them" true or "everything in the Bible including the Ark and the Earth being 6000 years old" true?

Don't go getting the Old Testament mixed in with Christianity, FFS. They can be very picky about which fairy tales they choose to believe.

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Neither.

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

You can't deny there's a lot of pish in the bible.

And a lot of books left out by the 'scholars' who put it together. 

And some translation problems. (Same goes for  Buddhism as it happens.)

I absolutely do deny that, funnily enough :D

For me, differing scholarly opinion and translation don't change the fundamentals.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Shocked to find this gammon,Tory, poor people don't work hard enough guy is also a born again Christian.

It’s just ‘Confessions Of A Justified Sinner’ innit. If you reckon you’ve got your seat booked at the big table, there’s no disincentive not to act like a horse’s arse on the way there. 

14 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I absolutely do deny that, funnily enough :D

For me, differing scholarly opinion and translation don't change the fundamentals.

I wasn't talking the fundamentals (which, as has been said, does boil down to decent human behaviour) I was talking about all the pish in the bible. Virgin births, raising from the dead, no wanking etc.

7 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

no wanking

Whit?  :o

I've gone right off the Bible now. I'm away back to 120 Days of Sodom for lifestyle advice.

13 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I wasn't talking the fundamentals (which, as has been said, does boil down to decent human behaviour) I was talking about all the pish in the bible. Virgin births, raising from the dead, no wanking etc.

Well if you didn't think differing scholarly opinion and translation don't change the fundamentals, then why mention them?  Not being pedantic, but I just don't see where you're coming from.

The 'pish' seemed to be a separate point, but perhaps it wasn't.

I've never came across (excuse the pun) a law against wanking, but for me the virgin birth and resurrection don't seem ridiculous when you take God's nature into account, which is my starting point.

There are several scientific, philosophical, historical and spiritual reasons as to why I reached the conclusion of God's existence.  The Kalam Cosmological Argument is probably my favourite.

9 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Well if you didn't think differing scholarly opinion and translation don't change the fundamentals, then why mention them?  Not being pedantic, but I just don't see where you're coming from.

The 'pish' seemed to be a separate point, but perhaps it wasn't.

I've never came across (excuse the pun) a law against wanking, but for me the virgin birth and resurrection don't seem ridiculous when you take God's nature into account, which is my starting point.

There are several scientific, philosophical, historical and spiritual reasons as to why I reached the conclusion of God's existence.  The Kalam Cosmological Argument is probably my favourite.

Ah yes the Kalam the scholastic muslim school of thought that argued for existence of Allah.

Salaam

7 minutes ago, Zern said:

Ah yes the Kalam the scholastic muslim school of thought that argued for existence of Allah.

Salaam

Did they go bust?

19 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

for me the virgin birth and resurrection don't seem ridiculous when you take God's nature into account, which is my starting point.

You see, that's the root of the problem.   If you ignore the fundamental issues then anything is possible.  Without mr miracle it all crumbles down.