Thistle vs Ayr - Tuesday 1st February 2022

5 minutes ago, stevep56 said:

Dreadful game.  Ayr look as poor as we have for the most of the past two seasons.  I was hoping that we might get O'Connor or Gondoh on to try and get down the wings but we resorted to launching it into the air and hoping for a mistake somewhere.  I still can't see us avoiding one of the bottom two slots in this league.

On that pitch there is no point trying to play wingers. If we could get people close to our striker would help massively 

Not sure what would be the longer odds, someone being able to side foot a pass 20 yards without it bobbling like f**k as Crawford did for the goal, or the ref giving us a penalty. Think watching on streams makes you a bit more level-headed than being caught up in the atmosphere in the ground (for all their other faults, the PTFC commentary team don't go above maybe 7/10 on the bias scale) but there were a couple of shockers in there, was convinced Ayr were going to score from the corner at the end where their boy had two-handed shoved our defender out the road to header it from the long throw right before it.

The pitch is going to make every game between now and when the grass starts growing (mid-March?) a nightmare, think Ayr coped better with it in the first half and we did in the second. Can't fault the team for effort and while I was thinking Raith were the team of the 4 above us we're most likely to catch, I'm obviously actively hoping for it now. Shea Gordon having has most positive impact of the season for us.

Edited by Fuctifano

…was convinced Ayr were going to score from the corner at the end where their boy had two-handed shoved our defender out the road to header it from the long throw right before it.

Aye, me too. I was as raging about that one as I was about the two stonewall penalties and the stonewall free kick when Tiffoney was tugged back just outside the box late in the second half.

Ref was genuinely brutal.

In the end a fairly comfortable 3 points but should have been easier with two obvious penalty shouts denied again. .Once again Sneddon stand out and gets more confident and commanding with each game .Big Bad Brain Graham bossed carthorse McGinty and took his goal well,also thought the new boy Jububiak showed promise and looks like a handful .

Special shout for Shea Gordon also .

We were pretty comfortable and should’ve won by more. Was a good piece and play and finish for the goal. Thought Crawford was non-existent in the first half but excellent in the second. Thought Bannigan and Docherty were poor. Back 4, Hendrie and Sneddon all very comfortable. Mayo was MOTM for me.

As mentioned, the referee was dreadful. 3 games on the bounce we’ve had dreadful decisions against us. Hopefully they balance out and we get 3 penalties for nothing vs Raith in a few weeks.

Edited by Reid

That was the most nil nil game going, one lapse kills it.  

Dreadful game between two garbage teams.  

Slaughter me all you want but Bryden is being used as a smokescreen for Bullen's failings.  Tonight was the first of his 6 appearances that he controlled the ball with his feet and he did it once.  

I might share and hold strong opinions about players but I rarely shout them in the stand, two games I've felt I've had to give it tight to Muirhead for pathetic application.  

Far from the first time this season we've looked pretty poor for large spells of the game but ended up winning.

If the Ayr striker turned up in a pair of football boots rather than clogs we might have been 2-0 down at half time. We played direct a lot which is understandable given the nick of the pitch, but the quality of ball was poor and no longer having the option of both Graham and Rudden makes us look a good deal less effective on that front. The game passed Cammy Smith by, although he still should have scored.

We did improve in the second half and hapless refereeing prevented us from getting a couple of penalties. Jakubiak looks both quick and physical and I'm looking forward to seeing him when he's got more to do than running the ball in the corner.

Performances still aren't convincing me that we're in any shape to challenge for the title and I think we'll fall away from the discussion sooner or later, but keep turning in similar results even against the teams below us and we should put a bit of distance between ourselves and Raith at least.

1 hour ago, AMMjag said:

Far from the first time this season we've looked pretty poor for large spells of the game but ended up winning.

Sort of evens itself out though, with the games where we’ve looked quite good for large spells and not taken maximum points from. 

4 hours ago, Jollyjag said:

2 massive penalty shouts once again denied

Partick Thistle have never played a single game of football where they haven't been cheated out of 5 STONEWALL penalties.  Weird stuff. 

4 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Partick Thistle have never played a single game of football where they haven't been cheated out of 5 STONEWALL penalties.  Weird stuff. 

It was only 2 or 3 last night, so there you go. Most Ayr fans watching would agree as well.

When you consider how many goals we scored earlier in the season, not even getting one penalty at that time is weird.

Just one every year or so would be good... we'd miss it mind you, as we wouldn't remember what your supposed to do. 

Ayr haven’t laid a glove on us in 3 games this season, although yesterday was the first time we’ve also been poor as well. Hard to tell whether it was the loss of Rudden or the disgrace of a pitch, but we just looked off it tonight.

Either way, fairly comfortable stuff once we took the lead. Next.

9 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Slaughter me all you want but Bryden is being used as a smokescreen for Bullen's failings.  Tonight was the first of his 6 appearances that he controlled the ball with his feet and he did it once.  

I might share and hold strong opinions about players but I rarely shout them in the stand, two games I've felt I've had to give it tight to Muirhead for pathetic application.  

9 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Above isn't a criticism of Bryden who obviously just isn't ready btw. 

This, this and fucking this!

The pressure being piled on a seventeen year old, as he is introduced as our first attacking substitution over several other players, is incredibly unfair. It’s fucking stupid in every way imaginable. It’s hugely worrying mismanagement. 

First half was a pretty brutal watch but enjoyed the second. I thought Tiffoney was excellent, constantly beating his man, should’ve earned a penalty, and tracked back well (especially one sprint in the second half to stop a counter). 

Hopefully Jakubiak can fit in well and get up to speed quickly. There was a bit of miscommunication between him and Bannigan that broke down a promising attack, and another attack was wasted when he could’ve easily played it forward for Tiffoney but decided to take on his man. But he looks a decent enough option. 

Edited by Slacker

10 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I’m probably stating the obvious here, but Muirhead is never a defensive mid, he can tackle and win a header, but his distribution is a shambles.

We have never replaced Docherty who isn’t as physical as Muirhead, but his touch and passing is miles above Aero’s. The problem we have is that all the centre halves are shite, so if we don’t have somebody at least  trying to protect the two clown car centre halves then we are probably going to get pumped.

edit to add: Muirhead is our best and most experience centre half and we are playing him in Midfield. 

Edited by Andy_AUFC