#TT5 - The title race nobody wants to win

5 clubs remain in the hunt for the Championship title with half the season to go. What does everyone think will happen as the season draws to a conclusion. Will Arbroath keep this momentum going, will Killie or Caley put a run together to match the early season favourites tag? At the moment nobody seems able to take any sort of advantage or build a lead at all, I think the biggest gap between 1st and 2nd so far this season has been 5 points?

I’ve said since we went down that I would take a scrambled 4th place and a bit of luck to get up through the playoffs if that’s what it took to get back up. Not many of us bought into the suggestion that we would win this league at a canter.

Its funny to look at how the different clubs are viewed though due to their budgets and the expectations that can bring. We’ve sacked Tommy Wright when we were still very much in and around the title/playoff picture and he is looked at as a massive failure where, looking from the outside in, all of the other clubs around us are pretty happy with their set up and the man in charge. I think I’m right in saying that includes ICT even though they were forecast to be the favourites along with ourselves.

Who do you think will win the league this season as it appears at the moment like we are all determined not to.

5 clubs remain in the hunt for the Championship title with half the season to go. What does everyone think will happen as the season draws to a conclusion. Will Arbroath keep this momentum going, will Killie or Caley put a run together to match the early season favourites tag? At the moment nobody seems able to take any sort of advantage or build a lead at all, I think the biggest gap between 1st and 2nd so far this season has been 5 points?

I’ve said since we went down that I would take a scrambled 4th place and a bit of luck to get up through the playoffs if that’s what it took to get back up. Not many of us bought into the suggestion that we would win this league at a canter.
Its funny to look at how the different clubs are viewed though due to their budgets and the expectations that can bring. We’ve sacked Tommy Wright when we were still very much in and around the title/playoff picture and he is looked at as a massive failure where, looking from the outside in, all of the other clubs around us are pretty happy with their set up and the man in charge. I think I’m right in saying that includes ICT even though they were forecast to be the favourites along with ourselves.
Who do you think will win the league this season as it appears at the moment like we are all determined not to.

It’s too early as there’s a lot of movement still for each club I’d imagine.

We’ve added 2 CM’s who both look the part. But it was mentioned today that McGlynn was looking to bring another 3 in on top of they 2. If 1 of them turns out to be a half decent striker who knows where the goals are, then we’d be in a good place.

I also wouldn’t bet against Arbroath going the distance. This has a similar sort of feeling to the year they won league 1 and left us miles behind. Every week, we all thought there’s no chance Arbroath are keeping this up. They’re going to lose at some point. They kept it up though. I reckon they could do it again.

I think it will be the club that is least affected by Covid or other postponements. We already have 3, with potentially another this week.

On the flip side, getting games called off means you get as close to a full-strength side as possible when the game comes around. Raith only had three players out with Covid for the trip to Firhill, it just so happened that the strikeforce was wiped out and combined with injuries there was three on the bench. Think we’d have happily taken a postponement that day.

Arbroath look clear favourites for the league for me. If they can cope without Nouble, I see no reason they can’t do it. Caley are in with a shout but their tendency to win narrowly can’t last forever, as Raith are finding out right now. Killie will throw the kitchen sink at signings/a new manager but they need a lot to come together. Partick seem to get forgotten about but have as good a chance as any. It might end up them v Arbroath.

I'd still be surprised if KFC are not top of the pile come season's end.

I'd say the best team I've seen us play this season is ICT though followed by Arbroath.

Raith were understtength when I saw them  (for allowing) at Firhill recently.

Can Thistle challenge? I would say so but need a couple of decent signings over January. 

1. ICT

2. KFC

3. PTFC

4. Rovers

5. Arbroath

Despite our lofty position, we're still outsiders.

Dealing with the departure of Nouble is the most obvious problem. I actually think it'll affect our goals against column more than our goals for.

Every one of our midfielders covers a ridiculous amount of ground. When Nouble gets the ball, he's very good at taking it for a wander for 15-20 seconds and winning throws, corners and free-kicks. All these things give our midfield a breather and my worry is without that outlet, we'll find ourselves overrun a bit more.

However, Dick managed to find a way for us to play without Nicky Low earlier in the season, maybe he'll pull a rabbit out the bunnet for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, jagfox OG said:

Can Thistle challenge? I would say so but need a couple of decent signings over January. 

If we can keep Rudden, retain our recent defensive prowess and add another player or two to help Tiffoney create things, I think we’ll be in good shape to challenge.

Our pitch and our current fixture backlog, with potential for even more to be postponed shortly will be stumbling blocks though. We also haven’t laid a glove on either Arbroath or Caley yet, so that’ll need to change. 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Our overall record in 2021 is 

won 16

drew 14

lost 6 

Over a league season that’s 62 points 

Were on 38 with 16 to play 

That’s a pretty astonishing record. Only 6 league defeats in a calendar year for any team (outwith the OF), in any division is superb.

Shows that we’re not just a one-trick (Nouble) pony and that our core squad is as good as any in the Championship.

22 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

That’s a pretty astonishing record. Only 6 league defeats in a calendar year for any team (outwith the OF), in any division is superb.

Shows that we’re not just a one-trick (Nouble) pony and that our core squad is as good as any in the Championship.

Nouble took us to next level yeah. And the 6 defeats are class. 

Qots home

Dundee away

Dunfermline away 

ICT x 2 one home and one away

Raith away

Only been beat twice at home all 2021 in league?

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Qots home
Dundee away
Dunfermline away 
Raith away

Being greedy but a few shite draws in there to, especially against Ayr a couple of times

21 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:
1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Qots home
Dundee away
Dunfermline away 
Raith away

Being greedy but a few shite draws in there to, especially against Ayr a couple of times

A whole load of shite draws in there but I imagine a few teams could say the same 

There's no way we'll have the consistency to win it so I hope Arbroath do.

Think we're most likely to finish 5th though this might depend on January comings and goings, Raith have been leaking a bit and obviously need a striker but easier said than done