ICT v RRFC…..

Going to Inverness tomorrow but coming home on Saturday so will not know how we did until I get home later that day, might be a good thing or not. A few beers in Inverness Thursday and Friday then home Saturday just fine. Nothing happening on the team front to excite me , I don't understand why the loanees returning are being classed as the same as the new signings on the web site. If they were going to benefit the starting eleven yes but I don't think that will happen I hope I am wrong but just don't feel confident about it. Still onwards and upwards hopefully.

Very excited to attend this association football match. Could be the last one for a while unfortunately but hopefully not.

Fingers crossed we can offer a bit more creativity than we showed against Arbroath. Not playing in the Gayfield gale should help.

27 minutes ago, RiG said:

Very excited to attend this association football match. Could be the last one for a while unfortunately but hopefully not.

Fingers crossed we can offer a bit more creativity than we showed against Arbroath. Not playing in the Gayfield gale should help.

Arbroath fan giving it the "Both teams had go play in the same conditions" chat in 3...2...1....

Some Arbroath fans are ferociously defensive about their ground, making up all sorts of excuses - "the same for both teams", "our players train in Perth so aren't much more familiar with Gayfield" type shite. I called it Galefield once (which is the experience of many teams) and I was the c**t that shot Bambi's maw.

But managers and players know better - as McGlynn says, "no team can play Gayfield like Arbroath". 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Arbroath fan giving it the "Both teams had go play in the same conditions" chat in 3...2...1....

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

Some Arbroath fans are ferociously defensive about their ground, making up all sorts of excuses - "the same for both teams", "our players train in Perth so aren't much more familiar with Gayfield" type shite. I called it Galefield once (which is the experience of many teams) and I was the c**t that shot Bambi's maw.

But managers and players know better - as McGlynn says, "no team can play Gayfield like Arbroath". 

The Gayfield pitch is 4 yards narrower than ours, if your game is 'wide' then that can make a difference.

3 hours ago, renton said:

:lol: 

They are correct but they will be far more used to it than most teams. They played much better football than us in the conditions but I would still like to think, with a more settled breeze, we will be less likely to try and hoof it and instead try and play it on the ground which we have done on occasions and looked really good (performances against Partick for example show we can play some good stuff). I guess we'll see on Saturday...

5 minutes ago, RiG said:

:lol: 

They are correct but they will be far more used to it than most teams. They played much better football than us in the conditions but I would still like to think, with a more settled breeze, we will be less likely to try and hoof it and instead try and play it on the ground which we have done on occasions and looked really good (performances against Partick for example show we can play some good stuff). I guess we'll see on Saturday...

Aye, I mean we're the same. The Starks hybrid pitch allows us to play a certain way, we train on it, play on it 18 weeks of a season so we are more used to it and know how to play it.

A lot of teams will be the same for one reason or another.

Every team knows their pitch and how the surface plays. The difference with wind prone places like Gayfield is that they know how the wind behaves around the stadium. As  RIG says oppositition teams are reduced to hoofing the ball in these conditions while Arbroath will have a much better idea of how he wind affects the speed and flight of the ball. It's a clear advantage.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

The Gayfield pitch is 4 yards narrower than ours, if your game is 'wide' then that can make a difference.

Funny, I find Caledonian at 105m x 73m and Gayfield at 105m x 65m, so more like 8m narrower. As a side note, Starks is listed as 103m x 64m. There is talk of widening the pitch at SP, and they say they can add up to almost 5m.

6 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Funny, I find Caledonian at 105m x 73m and Gayfield at 105m x 65m, so more like 8m narrower. As a side note, Starks is listed as 103m x 64m. There is talk of widening the pitch at SP, and they say they can add up to almost 5m.

If so widening SP would more suit our open style of play. I remember when Rangers reduced the width of the Ibrox pitch for a European match against a Russian team noted for their slick play. The Russians were furious.

48 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Most fans don't realise the difference pitch width can make to a game, we ran saturday as usual with Walsh and Doran on the wings with the likes of Carson taking up the slack, nearly all wide balls were shut down given the Arbroath defenders could quickly cover the wings.

Have purchased bulk of the away game streams this season but really can't be arsed for getting this one. I'm sure the last two ICT streams I purchased were only £9.99 but can see for this game it's 15 sheets. I'll pass. 

33 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Have purchased bulk of the away game streams this season but really can't be arsed for getting this one. I'm sure the last two ICT streams I purchased were only £9.99 but can see for this game it's 15 sheets. I'll pass. 

We now use our own streaming service instead of the pixellot crap from the SPFL and the price was also raised to encourage people to go to the game instead of watching on the TV. Granted that now isn’t an option.

3 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

If so widening SP would more suit our open style of play. I remember when Rangers reduced the width of the Ibrox pitch for a European match against a Russian team noted for their slick play. The Russians were furious.

Alloa took the piss a few years ago,

See the source image

5 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

^^^

Archie MacPherson found.

This, I think, was the game. At 4:40 Souness looks like he's taking a throw from the middle of the pitch.

By the way, old Archie's commentary isn't as doyenish as is the received wisdom in some parts (mostly his own head)

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Hammer signed up. We're going to pump this lot*! 

*I fully reserve the right to retract this statement in the future. 

MC?