Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Bully Wee Villa

Fantastic performance, like the Swedes in the men's final, got an early lead and controlled it from there.

Funny the things that pop into your head sometimes. 4 years ago I watched the curling with my Dad while he was in the Marie Curie hospice. It was one of the last things we watched together.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is that Scotland wholly responsible for the only British medals at the games? Minter for England.

Feels like we've done nothing but win since they started their 'Scotland get battered' pish, compared to their bounty of 'f**k all' in said time. 😏

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

2 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Is that Scotland wholly responsible for the only British medals at the games? Minter for England.

Yeh after pouring money into a sliding center, which produced f**k all.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

World Championships (women) 17th - 29th March in Canada.....come on BBC get it on the telly

That would be good even to use pool footage and have commentary done in the UK, stuff like this is what the BBC Scotland channel should be used for.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

World Championships (women) 17th - 29th March in Canada.....come on BBC get it on the telly

I think it may be on Eurosport, they usually cover curling.  They are also very good commentators as they kept on calling GB, Scotland in the semi-final against Sweden. 😀

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Before the hog line.  Used to be an actual judge called it.  Lights have been switched off at times in this comp though.

Yeah I remember there used to be judges sitting along the rink.

I had a family member who was in the GB curling team that played at the World (?) Championships when it was held at Braehead many years ago. Unfortunately just missed out on Rhona Martins Olympic team a couple of years later too. She took me a few times to a curling rink in a small village called Howwood, and I remember really enjoying it. I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time, but for some reason or another I fell away from it and concentrated on football. When an event like the Olympics comes up I always wonder what could have been if I had applied myself more.

What kind of numbers play Curling at any sort of level in Scotland? I can’t imagine it’s very many, and not to downplay the talent of the guys who made the Olympic team, the standard required to reach that level must be lower than other sports that have a higher number of players. I just had a look on Google to see if that rink is still open and it seems it is. Might go up and see if I can make the 2026 team, or more likely realise how hard it is and stick to 5 a sides. 

On 16/02/2022 at 16:12, Donathan said:

And if you ever find yourself losing hope, Saturday will be twenty years to the day since Rhona Martin’s rink were in a right mess after losing their last two round robin games, fell to 5-4 and then had to win two tiebreaker games to even make the SF. They went ahead and won both, then beat top seeded Canada in the semi final and Switzerland in the final. Three of the four teams they beat in the knockout round had beaten us in the RR. 

Me when they looked down and out 

Yeah I remember there used to be judges sitting along the rink.
I had a family member who was in the GB curling team that played at the World (?) Championships when it was held at Braehead many years ago. Unfortunately just missed out on Rhona Martins Olympic team a couple of years later too. She took me a few times to a curling rink in a small village called Howwood, and I remember really enjoying it. I was probably about 11 or 12 at the time, but for some reason or another I fell away from it and concentrated on football. When an event like the Olympics comes up I always wonder what could have been if I had applied myself more.
What kind of numbers play Curling at any sort of level in Scotland? I can’t imagine it’s very many, and not to downplay the talent of the guys who made the Olympic team, the standard required to reach that level must be lower than other sports that have a higher number of players. I just had a look on Google to see if that rink is still open and it seems it is. Might go up and see if I can make the 2026 team, or more likely realise how hard it is and stick to 5 a sides. 

There’s a surprising amount that play. Hamilton is my local rink and it has, as I recall, 6 sheets and was pretty much always booked solid.

East Kilbride also has a rink but we’ve lost Braehead recently (although I believe it may make a return)- in the west of Scotland off the top of my head you also have Waterfront which I believe is in Greenock and then in the east of the top of my head you have murrayfield, Dundee, Fife, Aberdeen as well as Perth and Stirling in the middle - I’m sure there are more (Stirling unsurprisingly is a brilliant facility with great ice, some of the others not so much) - using Hamilton as an example there must have been about 20 clubs that used it as a ‘home’ rink and I imagine others would be similar if not more.

If you’re serious about trying it, look into the Try Curling event they do which is a few sessions where they teach you the basics (very simple to pick up) and you play a few ends after which if you like it you can join their virtual club for two years where you play regular games and mingle with others from other clubs before you can decide to move on and play with another club - I joined up after Sochi and had a great two years which included coming third in the virtual bonspiel which had about 30 teams from around Scotland competing in braehead but a combo of injury and starting a family meant I gave it up, really should get back to it.

31 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

There’s a surprising amount that play. Hamilton is my local rink and it has, as I recall, 6 sheets and was pretty much always booked solid.

I genuinely would like to give it a go, but I’m not sure how much time I would be able to dedicate to it. Golf will be taking up a lot of my free time in the coming months and I’ve signed up for the Edinburgh marathon which I really do need to train for, quite urgently infact. I will keep it up my sleeve though, that Greenacres rink in Howwood isn’t too far to travel so I might give it a go again. 

I really like the tactical aspect of curling, I think that’s what I would enjoy the most. Obviously you still need to have the ability to put the stones where you want but I’ve heard it said many times before that rather than it being bowls on ice, it’s more like chess on ice. You sound like you really enjoyed it though and managed to get to a good standard, would be a shame if you didn’t get back to it. 

My cousin has been all around the world playing the game when she was in the GB and Scotland teams with Rhona Martin. I got quite into when she was involved and remember staying up through the night to watch her on Eurosport when she was playing in Canada I think. I do regret not sticking in at it when I was younger, my cousin did try her best to keep me interested but I was only about 11 or 12 and was more interested in playing football.

That is a surprising number of rinks though, especially around the central belt. I thought there might be one or two in this neck of the woods and more further north, although I don’t know why I assumed that. I know the stones are all made from the granite on Ailsa Craig, which is still quite hard to believe. Obviously Ailsa Craig has a finite supply of granite, how long until it becomes the size of a house brick floating in the Irish Sea?