Highland Trapdoorwatch 2021-22

Ray Patterson

On 07/03/2022 at 00:43, Ray Patterson said:

Midlands League

A big shift this weekend with Carnoustie Panmure finally leading the standings as they had an excellent last few weeks, that saw them put 15 past a woeful Lochee Harp outfit and better Coupar Angus, Kirrie Thistle and Arbroath Victoria.

Despite wins over Blairgowrie and Downfield, surprise leaders East Craigie's 25-match unbeaten run came to end on Saturday as they lost out 1-0 to Lochee United at Thomson Park, a result that the 'Chee needed to keep their slim hopes of the league title and promotion alive. Lochee United were victorious over Violet and Downfield before Saturday's important 1-0 victory.

image.png.64c5cf214ccf4ef63ea1ea179550f47e.png

If the Shipbuilders and Lochee United win their games in hand over Panmure - the three sides will be separated by six points, with the top two level pegging.

Fixtures

Date           Carnoustie Panmure           East Craigie                 Lochee United
12th Mar              Letham (H)                  Lochee Harp (H)        Broughty Ath (H)
19th Mar     Dundee North End (H)       Broughty Ath (H)       Coupar Angus (A)
26th Mar      Blairgowrie (A)                 In Cup Action             Brechin Victoria (H)

Anything less than 9 points for Panmure would be a disaster. While Craigie should run up a cricket score against Harp, the Ferry game will be very tricky and a loss in that could allow Panmure to build up a nine-point lead. Lochee United have a must-win game against Broughty next weekend (which I hope to get to) they will need to win every game from now to the end of the season and hope others slip up. 

It could be a very exciting end to the season.

TL;DR - Banks O'Dee in Playoff, Lochee United have a very slim shot of joining them; winners will almost certainly play Fort William, unless they can start picking up wins.

If everyone wins their games in hand, we'd be 6 points behind both Carnoustie & East Craigie. Even though it's technically still possible, I really can't see us overtaking both. We might overtake one of them if they hit a bit of a poor form, but both is very unlikely. Obviously we still need to fully go for at as you never know in football, but realistically we'll need to focus on next season.

Nairn were pretty mediocre this evening, but still won very easily. Fort's main tactic seems to be go at 100mph from kick off and try and nick a goal before all their players are out on their feet. I thought they were far poorer than they were in the reverse fixture earlier in the season when they didn't even have a manager. I'll be amazed if they finish above Strathspey.

55 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Nairn were pretty mediocre this evening, but still won very easily. Fort's main tactic seems to be go at 100mph from kick off and try and nick a goal before all their players are out on their feet. I thought they were far poorer than they were in the reverse fixture earlier in the season when they didn't even have a manager. I'll be amazed if they finish above Strathspey.

Similar to the Clach game, our players looked bemused but unworried by the frantic buzzing about and just got on with the game. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

How does the new set-up work? Can someone explain it to me like I’m a complete simpleton?

The bottom Highland League team has a play-off with the winners of a play-off between the Midlands, North Caledonian, and North Superleague champions - assuming they are all licensed.

So basically Fort William will finish bottom and get relegated after playing Banks O' Dee over two legs since they are the only licensed champions this season.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

The bottom Highland League team has a play-off with the winners of a play-off between the Midlands, North Caledonian, and North Superleague champions - assuming they are all licensed.

So basically Fort William will finish bottom and get relegated after playing Banks O' Dee over two legs since they are the only licensed champions this season.

Shame about the licenses, definitely ruins the fun.

Will also be hard to convince League 2 to allow for more promotion slots when the same protectionism exists further down the pyramid.

7 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Will also be hard to convince League 2 to allow for more promotion slots when the same protectionism exists further down the pyramid.

There will definitely be a few licensed ML sides this time next year.  No idea about and NRJ or NCL sides going for it.  Only BOD and Golspie from those respective leagues are as far as I'm aware.

If the Highland Play-off and Midland licences go to plan, then the North Region will be the only league set up without any SFA members.

I doubt that will be true in a couple of years and not just just because of further Highland relegations. Some of the current clubs will get figure it out.

22 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If the Highland Play-off and Midland licences go to plan, then the North Region will be the only league set up without any SFA members.

I doubt that will be true in a couple of years and not just just because of further Highland relegations. Some of the current clubs will get figure it out.

Yep, plus you'll have relegated teams like Strathspey and potentially Turriff who you would imagine would drop to the Superleague so that would be two straight away with licences.

On 09/03/2022 at 23:48, welshbairn said:

Similar to the Clach game, our players looked bemused but unworried by the frantic buzzing about and just got on with the game. 

Forgot to reply to this- Fort looked absolutely fucked after 60 minutes or so. Defended doggedly but Clach really should have rattled five or six past them.

12 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Floodlights are definitely need for playing midweek in the HL though, so don't think a licence at tier 5 is all that controversial.

The HL play-off will be confirmed as Fort William v Banks O'Dee in the next 7 days when FW fail to win one of their games and Carnoustie get a point to put the title beyond Lochee United.

That's assuming the north pyramid committee decide to have the straight play-off rather than a pointless tier 6 round robin.