Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Odds on the main players declaring “this is over as a global concern” by end of March?

I'm looking forward to a 10,000 word post from a St Petersburg pub owner declaring that he is actually the real victim of the war. And that Zelensky is callously disregarding the profit margins of the aviation industry when he calls for a no-fly zone.

Putting the mass murder aside for a moment, you can’t help but laugh at how monumentally shit the Russian military is. 60 years of flexing their “military might” across the globe, then when it comes to the big stage they’re getting squads of paratroopers stuck in a lift and military hardware ransacked by farmers. 

Not sure if it was Rocky IV or the images of all those guffs getting skittled in Marseille during Euro 2016, but I had this impression that most Russians were hard as nails and not to be messed with.

Seems in reality they are a bunch of big jessies and a logistical shambles.

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Putting the mass murder aside for a moment, you can’t help but laugh at how monumentally shit the Russian military is. 60 years of flexing their “military might” across the globe, then when it comes to the big stage they’re getting squads of paratroopers stuck in a lift and military hardware ransacked by farmers. 

Also quite funny given they're (I think anyway) one of the biggest arms sellers in the world all their customers have been watching their gear break down, underperform or look obsolete, albeit again while doing horrible things so funny probably not the right word

7 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Not sure if it was Rocky IV or the images of all those guffs getting skittled in Marseille during Euro 2016, but I had this impression that most Russians were hard as nails and not to be messed with.

Tremendous imagery .............

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Remember, they were up against a bunch of small-town "hardest guy in the pub" types - beer-gutted and baldy with the three rolls of fat up the back of the heid that are essentially only any good at throwing chairs round town squares.

When it comes down to it though, the hardest guy any of us have ever met wouldn't last 30 seconds on a technical modern battlefield unless they're well-trained, well-led and in possession of a coherent plan which is where this lot seem to have fallen down big-style. The "elite" VDV who seem to be chosen for their intimidating size and ability to hold their steroids didn't last long.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/07/boris-johnsons-six-point-plan-for-ukraine-turns-out-to-be-six-vague-principles

"Things got trickier for The Suspect when he was asked about refugee visas and sanctions. On visas, he merely said that the UK wanted to be as generous as possible. Unfortunately, that turned out to be not very generous at all. After all, we had taken loads of Afghan refugees and now the UK was technically full. It was just Ukraine’s bad luck. But hopefully the Poles could help out.

On sanctions, the UK was again going the extra mile. It was completely normal for the son of a KGB agent who had done bugger all for the UK to be granted a peerage after the personal intervention of the prime minister. In any case, it wasn’t as if Evgeny Lebedev ever went to the Lords. Or spoke. Or voted. He was a complete waste of space. He just liked to swan around while flunkeys called him “Lordski”. So, no harm done. He was hardly involved in UK politics at all.

And as for the really bad oligarchs – as opposed to the pretend baddie oligarchs – The Suspect had them in his sights. Any that hadn’t been of use to the Conservatives would now find that they had to declare their beneficial interests in assets within six months rather than 18 months."

Any of you dead pool guys have highly decorated Russian Gen. Maj. Vitaly Gerassimov (chief of staff of the 41 Army)? reportedly "liquidated" in Kharkiv this evening.

Confirmation of his death was said to have been an intercepted telephone call from a FSB officer calling his boss via a local sim card because they have no secure comms.

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

Daft crazy ww3 provoking idea I know.  But.  Could a country like Poland declare its withdrawal from nato then declare war on Russia? Or reform as a new country unbound by past treaties.  

If your looking for daft crazy ideas get Switzerland to declare war on Russia as they are not part of the European Union or NATO , saying that i'm not even sure if Switzerland even have an Army...😅

Edited by Welly boy

7 minutes ago, Welly boy said:

If your looking for daft crazy ideas get Switzerland to declare war on Russia as they are not part of the European Union or NATO , saying that i'm not even sure if Switzerland even have an Army...😅

They mostly guard old Catholics I'm led to believe.

I've got an idea how to help those poor, cold and hungry Ukrainians.

Has anyone got an old Da or Granda who we could force feed Chicken Kiev, 3 meals a day and collect sponsor money for it?  Send a few photos and 30 second films of him in action to the Express.....I really think this would help the cause. 

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Given how reliant we are on Russian Oil & Gas, I find it strange that Putin hasn't turned the taps off on both, even though it will obviously affect Russia themselves...

It's not being talked up by the western media but they have already turned off one of the main gas pipelines that runs through Belarus.

37 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Has anyone got an old Da or Granda who we could force feed Chicken Kiev, 3 meals a day and collect sponsor money for it?  Send a few photos and 30 second films of him in action to the Express.....I really think this would help the cause. 

IhGtbR0CE2Tgk.gif

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

You could do a sponsored dog drowning, Slippery.

Not only is our governments response to the Ukrainian refugee crisis woefully inadequate, but we're also mewling at Ireland for letting too many in.