Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

11 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Scenes when Chelsea have to go back to signing the Steve Clarkes and Jody Morrises of the world.

I wouldn't think so.  The other clubs in the EPL don't and whoever buys the club will have need to have a few quid.  I doubt it will make a huge difference to the balance of power in the EPL.

In my local Co-op tonight the staff were running around taking all Russian products off the shelves after orders from head office. 
Some co-op you must have, don't think mine has a single Russian product (I guess some ingredients are probably sourced from there, but I can't imagine they'll start pulling McVities because of Russian wheat or whatever).

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
8 hours ago, Waal said:
In my local Co-op tonight the staff were running around taking all Russian products off the shelves after orders from head office. 

Some co-op you must have, don't think mine has a single Russian product (I guess some ingredients are probably sourced from there, but I can't imagine they'll start pulling McVities because of Russian wheat or whatever).

I wouldn't put it past this idiotic country. Covid has shown that people love a completely pointless and empty gesture if it means they can be seen as "doing something". 

Govt minister on BBC just confirmed (after being asked umpteen times) that since this war started the UK have sanctioned just EIGHT Russian nationals and sited fear of legal action from their lawyers as the main reason. We might be talking the talk but we most certainly not walking the walk.

He also confirmed the 240 sanctions figure Govt figures are widely using in the media consist almost entirely of Russian entities that were already subject to economic sanctions before this war erupted. It's a total joke !

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
8 hours ago, Waal said:

Ours stocks Armenian caviar anyway. 

The sanctioning of Russia and the richest people in the country, withdrawing business and technological support and the exclusion of Russia and their clubs from sporting and live events are all designed to put pressure on them and confirm what they are doing isn't acceptable and they are going to be rightly excommunicated until at least this wrong is made right. Maybe won't work but it's at least sending a message.

Trust this fucking country and society to completely miss the point though and start deleting anything of Russian origin to be seen to be 'doing the right thing'. Why do we have this horrendous habit of trying to overcorrect everything to be seen as more caring and more concerned? 

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

They'll be banning Russian twists in the gyms next.

White Russians off the menu in everyone on here's favourite cocktail bars too.

Good thread on what the sanctions may mean for the Russian economy (or more correctly, the impact on the Russian people). This is why Putin is trying to pull Ukraine apart so quickly, he knows that the shit is going to hit the fan on the home front in a few weeks.