Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

Good thread on what the sanctions may mean for the Russian economy (or more correctly, the impact on the Russian people). This is why Putin is trying to pull Ukraine apart so quickly, he knows that the shit is going to hit the fan on the home front in a few weeks.

I'd love to be in the room when they agree this.  I'm fairly sure that nobody really thinks that Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Government are sending support to the Russian Navy, who are no doubt glued to her briefings.

I'd love to be in the room when they agree this.  I'm fairly sure that nobody really thinks that Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Government are sending support to the Russian Navy, who are no doubt glued to her briefings.

It does sound like something that would be a comment piece in the Scotsman or the Daily Mail to be fair.

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Bad news for Putin today at the UN I think. Only Belarus, North Korea, Eritrea and Syria voted with Russia. More significantly his new big pal China abstained.

That's really not significant at all, because benevolent neutrality is all the support that China would either give or be required to give by Russia. 

Until there is Chinese cooperation with sanctions and/or pressure put on Moscow to dial down international tensions, then their value to Putin hasn't changed. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Just watching Storyville on BBC4 where a Moscow TV channel asked the same question for a discussion programme, should Leningrad just have surrendered to save 300 thousand lives? I don't think they're going to last very long.

Given that the Soviets were militarily and economically superior to the invading force, obviously not. That's really not the case for Ukraine v Russia, despite the latter clearly haven fallen behind in its schedule. 

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's really not significant at all, because benevolent neutrality is all the support that China would either give or be required to give by Russia. 

Until there is Chinese cooperation with sanctions and/or pressure put on. Moscow to dial down international tensions, then their value to Putin hasn't changed. 

Yep, and there is chat that Russia and China spoke and agreed to hold off the invasion until after the Winter Olympics - but how true that is, who knows?

15 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Yep, and there is chat that Russia and China spoke and agreed to hold off the invasion until after the Winter Olympics - but how true that is, who knows?

Could be, they invaded Georgia on the opening day of the Beijing Summer Olympics so doing it again might not have gone down too well.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could be, they invaded Georgia on the opening day of the Beijing Summer Olympics so doing it again might not have gone down too well.

So Russia feels obliged to invade another country whenever China hosts the Olympics.  Not sure why but just as a precaution I suggest China does not host the Olympics again.