Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Could be, they invaded Georgia on the opening day of the Beijing Summer Olympics so doing it again might not have gone down too well.

The Russians didn't have as much control over the start of that conflict than this one - it came after fighting between Georgians and Ossetians.  While the Russians were well integrated with the Ossetian forces, they intervened after Georgia launched a full attack.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Russians didn't have as much control over the start of that conflict than this one - it came after fighting between Georgians and Ossetians.  While the Russians were well integrated with the Ossetian forces, they intervened after Georgia launched a full attack.

It wasn't Georgia's fault, they were goaded. Saakashvili was an idiot, I honestly think he thought the Americans would come in and save them. After the ceasefire border was established the Russians used to sneak in at night to move the fence a few yards just to wind them up.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It wasn't Georgia's fault, they were goaded. Saakashvili was an idiot, I honestly think he thought the Americans would come in and save them.

He maybe thought that they could overrun South Ossetia and Abkhazia before the Russians could do anything.  A very bad move from him.

I used to think that the conflicts in Georgia were far more entrenched - the massacres that took place in the 1990s are reminiscent of Bosnia, horrific ethnic cleansing as well.  Despite the rhetoric, nothing like that has taken place in the Donbas or Ukraine.

It wasn't Georgia's fault, they were goaded. Saakashvili was an idiot, I honestly think he thought the Americans would come in and save them. After the ceasefire border was established the Russians used to sneak in at night to move the fence a few yards just to wind them up.
When I was in Gori, birthplace of Stalin, it was close enough to Ossetia that my phone switched networks and gave me a "Welcome to Russia" SMS. Quality shitehousery.

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

the massacres that took place in the 1990s are reminiscent of Bosnia, horrific ethnic cleansing as well.  Despite the rhetoric, nothing like that has taken place in the Donbas or Ukraine.

not that weve heard,anyway

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

He maybe thought that they could overrun South Ossetia and Abkhazia before the Russians could do anything.  A very bad move from him.

I used to think that the conflicts in Georgia were far more entrenched - the massacres that took place in the 1990s are reminiscent of Bosnia, horrific ethnic cleansing as well.  Despite the rhetoric, nothing like that has taken place in the Donbas or Ukraine.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Russian advance around Mariupol is more 'intense'.

5 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the Russian advance around Mariupol is more 'intense'.

It certainly seems to be - the mayor of the city has released recordings saying that all utilities have been cut off and they've been shelled and bombed for 12 hours straight.  Very worrying.

What I was really meaning was that this is a political, nationalistic conflict - the Georgian wars, especially in Abkhazia, have an ethnic dimension that isn't really present.  That doesn't seem to be happening in this conflict - yet at least.

Edited by ICTChris

3 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Even parkrun cancelling their russian events, reading this made me feel rotten for the ordinary Russian.

Screenshot_20220303-081623~2.png

Screenshot_20220303-081633~2.png

I feel sorry for some of them but I think a fair number of them also do support this action. I get that they are subject to Russian media propaganda but at the end of the day, they aren’t suffering quite as much as the Ukrainians are right now, or as much as the other people who have suffered both now and over the past years because of their leaders.

27 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Even parkrun cancelling their russian events, reading this made me feel rotten for the ordinary Russian.

Screenshot_20220303-081623~2.png

Screenshot_20220303-081633~2.png

They can't stop them doing the run, it's just another token message to break through the closed Russian media.

Edited by welshbairn

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It certainly seems to be - the mayor of the city has released recordings saying that all utilities have been cut off and they've been shelled and bombed for 12 hours straight.  Very worrying.

What I was really meaning was that this is a political, nationalistic conflict - the Georgian wars, especially in Abkhazia, have an ethnic dimension that isn't really present.  That doesn't seem to be happening in this conflict - yet at least.

Aye, most of the attention and info we're getting is understandably from Kiev in the West and the big cities. Given the larger Russian population in the East and that Mariupol is the Azov base, we might see those political and ethnic lines blurred a bit and I wouldn't be surprised to hear some utter horror stories emerge down the line.

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Is anyone actually turning up for these briefings? Although there are probably still people dying and just isn't reported any more.

I thought she was just doing the ones to parliament now.

The eyeopeners in UN vote terms were that Serbia, Bosnia and Brazil actively voted against Russia. For Bosnia to vote that way Republika Srpska would have to be on board AFAIA (Serbia comes into it again here) and Brazil is part of BRICS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS

Edited by LongTimeLurker