Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

So much for the tolerant liberal fascist left

I've been waiting for someone to say that the libs were cancelling Russia  :lol:

Inevitable.

Vlad having a good rant on Sky about Neo-Nazis, human shields, foreigners being held by Ukraine as hostages, nationalists,west threatening Russia with nukes, huge payouts (in Roubles) to soldiers unable to continue, Russians and Ukrainians being one people, folk being brainwashed and making a dead general a Hero of Russia. 

All that's probably missing is a pair of underpants on his head and a pencil up each nostril. 

14 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

You'd imagine that probably not all, but most of the sanctions were already baked into the plan before he invaded. I wonder if he's had some sort of agreement with Xi about backdoor support. Publicy, Beijing obviously won't be doing anything other than distancing itself.

Big spanner in the works has obviously been the lacklustre Red Army performance.

I think the sanctions are much tougher than were expected. There is targeting of Russian reserves and the massive drop in value of large Russian companies, most state owned or controlled, would suggest it hasn’t been baked in. I don’t think they thought that 

The idea that China are backing Russia is a bit fanciful as well. Chinese media have stayed neutral and they abstained rather than veto the Security Council motion about the war. Why would China risk their economic stability, growth and trade with the West to back Russia?

I think they thought that there would be some diplomatic blowback and upgraded sanctions on the oligarchs but that it would be manageable. The harshness of the sanctions, cash machines running out of money, payments systems impact, large firms pulling out, is going to have a significantly higher impact. The fact it’s all happening at once as well is delivering a significant blow.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The idea that China are backing Russia is a bit fanciful as well. Chinese media have stayed neutral and they abstained rather than veto the Security Council motion about the war. Why would China risk their economic stability, growth and trade with the West to back Russia?

China isn't really risking anything. The West can't withdraw from China.

They will be backing Russia because it's in their interest that the main conflict over the end of US global supremacy takes place in Europe rather than on their own borders. 

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

.............and meanwhile the UK govt does next to fuckall

Yip but Boris has gave them notice and leave a donation and it will be fine 

Edited by doulikefish