Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Could be for training but most likely that a unit was slated to move to Belarus and it has bridging equipment on its inventory, so by the book its loaded up and moved. Had they been deploying to a desert it would have been loaded up and moved. 

38 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Internet cables also severed off the coast of the South of France.

https://www.techspot.com/news/96394-damaged-european-undersea-cables-impact-internet-connectivity-worldwide.html

As others have said, could just be a coincidence as I have no idea how common these faults are.

They do happen more often than you might think. I work for a technology company and have been involved in a number of incidents where subsea cables have had faults.

It’s obviously not impossible that Russian forces have done this but the fact that it has happened is not some sort of smoking gun in itself.

...the Shetland Movement will rise again.

Lerwick has had a diesel-fueled power station for decades so the new grid connector cable to Scotland from Shetland has always mainly been about exporting excess wind power:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Wind_Farm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_HVDC_Connection

£660 million is being spent on that. Recent events in the Baltic show how vulnerable projects like that potentially are to sabotage but think the idea that the Russians came along in a sub and snipped the internet cable is paranoia more than anything else.

My mum is a Shetlander and my dad used to work there. I was speaking to him about this and he said that a lot of utility firms always held back in laying cables to the outlying islands because of the risk of them being damaged, by fishing vessels or storms.

Maybe the Klondykers recruited sleeper agents in the 80s who have been activated, you never know.

This is all very 'it must be Covid'.

Feeling unwell after March 2020 - Aww it'll be Covid!

Any damage to UK infrastructure after February 2022 - Aww it'll be Putin!

12 hours ago, TxRover said:

And yet you continue to insist on attempting because…maybe just because your “facts” are, shall we say, slanted in favor of your personal beliefs?

The facts can't be slanted in favour of anyone's beliefs. You really do spend far too much time on Twitter if you believe in that pish. 

don’t try to cherry pick dates and counties to “support” the indefensible, laddie.

'Cherry picking' 300+ years of the actual fucking country involved in the conflict = you are a fucking imbecile. 

Situation in Russia is also more akin to 1740s than say 1917. 

IF Putin was to be removed from power he would just be replaced with another Tsar like figure not some popular revolution. 

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

...Maybe the Klondykers recruited sleeper agents in the 80s who have been activated, you never know.

I've told people from Eastern Europe over the years about stuff like being stopped by a group of East German fisherman on the street in Lerwick back in the mid-80s and being asked where they could buy several hundred cans of beer for their entire crew. They refuse to believe that could have been possible.

The one guy who spoke English (no doubt the Staasi dude if trusted to do that) was having difficulty understanding the locals understandably enough and didn't do much better with my central belt accent so we wound up communicating in O Grade level French. Hope they got the beer in the end. Been a while but think I recommended McEwans Export.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 hours ago, virginton said:

The facts can't be slanted in favour of anyone's beliefs. You really do spend far too much time on Twitter if you believe in that pish. 

'Cherry picking' 300+ years of the actual fucking country involved in the conflict = you are a fucking imbecile. 

No, but a choice of time frame and environment/area can easily be used to make sure the “facts” available support your particular slant.

Your preoccupation with twitter is telling, as I don’t share that vice.

Your need to resort to vulgarity and insult makes the weakness of your position clear.

26 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No, but a choice of time frame and environment/area can easily be used to make sure the “facts” available support your particular slant.

That the time frames of 1720, 1790, 1815, 1860, 1914 and 1945 all show the same thing tells us that it's not a 'slant'. It is 'established geopolitical fact'. 

Quite why you've chosen this particularly stupid hill to die on is bizarre. But you just keep swinging and missing anyway.

Your need to resort to vulgarity and insult makes the weakness of your position clear.

I don't need to resort to anything and it's not meant as an insult. It's simply an objective assessment of your clown running across a minefield efforts throughout this entire thread. 

Unlucky. 

Edited by vikingTON