Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

My aunt and uncle visited Vietnam during the Vietnam War.  On the same holiday they went to Afghanisatan, although that was quite normal at the time.

Anyway, Semen Pegov, known as WarGonzo, one of the Russian-aligned Telegram channels discussed in this thread has been injured, he stood on a mine in Donetsk and injured his foot.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Anyway, Semen Pegov, known as WarGonzo, one of the Russian-aligned Telegram channels discussed in this thread has been injured, he stood on a mine in Donetsk and injured his foot.

He showed great spunk to stand on a mine. 

Suggestions that he was actually shot by someone - his claimed to have stood on an anti-personnel mine which would have taken his leg off at a mimimum.  Who knows.  No more War Gonzo for a while either way.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Suggestions that he was actually shot by someone - his claimed to have stood on an anti-personnel mine which would have taken his leg off at a mimimum.  Who knows.  No more War Gonzo for a while either way.

He's backtracking..

image.thumb.png.9ea11828746f76cfa62cf7a2bcedfc30.png

Far more likely to bump into angry Russians on a Cypriot beach..
I've actually already met a good few Ukrainians and no Russians. Mainly women and children but also a chap who's a somewhat-famous-in-that-scene DJ who was allowed to go on a European tour as a soft power exercise. His wife and child are here in Cyprus so he's seeing them for a couple of days before flying back.

Quite interesting chatting to him. A rocket hit 300m from his flat earlier in the year and he says his fear levels have been recalibrated. Some thugs were after his phone and wallet last night in Rome, he told them to f**k off and strolled away. Said he would have shat himself had it happened last year.

And likely the best of its prewar trained pilots. Though I suspect a big portion of them were on the ground as there were a couple of utter shambolic losses of near entire flights to ground action. Rotor aviation is a keystone of western ground forces. They are usually assigned to the army and are seen as the main MBT killer (AH-64). I guess Soviet\Russian doctrine has really confined them to being sort of small fast, MRLS systems. So perhaps not the loss it seems from a western perspective. 

Edited to add, the low ammunition as a driver for reckless Hokum runs? This ties with a long running theory Russia is starting to see the bottom of its usable stock. That may match with the rise in ground to air Hokum kills over the past week, the buying from DPRK, the shopping in Iran the whole story of the past few weeks. 

My hot take on mobilisation was it was going to be for one big rush before ammo ran dry. But its been chaotic so far and not produced much in the way of enhanced fighting power. With the renewed nuclear sabre rattling well this may be Xi now in full control or it may be that they are getting real desperate. 

Horrible world when you are constantly guessing about everything. 

Edited by dorlomin
Cause I read more

15 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

And likely the best of its prewar trained pilots. Though I suspect a big portion of them were on the ground as there were a couple of utter shambolic losses of near entire flights to ground action. Rotor aviation is a keystone of western ground forces. They are usually assigned to the army and are seen as the main MBT killer (AH-64). I guess Soviet\Russian doctrine has really confined them to being sort of small fast, MRLS systems. So perhaps not the loss it seems from a western perspective. 

I think most rotor aviation (and drones) looks pretty vulnerable near the front lines where air defences are not wntirely suppressed. Even with its speed and short pop up times of the AH64, I guess there is a good reason the next generation air carried ATGWs are emphasising stand off range....

Edited by renton

Some Russian channels (including WarGonzo, get well soon *** xxox) have reported that Ukrainian forces have established a bridgehead over the Zherebets river in Luhansk.  This has allowed them to establish fire control over the Svatove-Kreminna road.  Svatove has been a major Ukrainian target since Lyman was liberated several weeks ago.

Think it's noteworthy that the Ukrainians are advancing outside Bakhmut/Artemivsk in recent days:

given that's the one area where the Russians had still been advancing in recent weeks and where Wagner forces are said to be concentrated. Maybe all the hype about Kherson deflected attention away from the real target again.

https://newlinesinstitute.org/ukraine/multilateral-action-model-on-reparations/

Found the link on NewsNow. No idea what this is or the nature of the organisation or if it's real/fake.

Multilateral Action Model on Reparations

October 25, 2022
20 min read

Multilateral Action Model on Reparations

Foreword

As Russia’s war against Ukraine continues, policymakers around the world have begun to consider the question of reparations. These will be necessary in compensating Ukraine for Russia’s invasion, and will be vital in the rebuilding of Ukraine’s economy and society.

The Multilateral Action Model on Reparations provides a legal process for the collection and distribution of reparations. It is an answer to that previously unresolved question. The model breaks new ground. It has to, because the war of aggression it is intended to compensate is unlike any other in Europe since 1945.

With Russia a member of the United Nations Security Council, a traditional model of reparations ordered by the U.N. would not pass the Russian U.N. veto. Instead, a new solution has to be devised.

The New Lines Institute convened a team of international legal experts, economists, and scholars to devise a new means of reparations.

Their analysis provides a roadmap for lawfully using Russian funds already frozen by the countries that have sanctioned Russia for its war — and provides a detailed, actionable list of possible sources of Russian state funds for use. It also establishes a functional, efficient means of collecting and distributing those funds, so that they might be used to rebuild Ukraine not in the distant future, but as the war continues.

In 13 Draft Conclusions backed by international law doctrine and practice, this model provides a practical, groundbreaking path to making use of seized and frozen Russian assets to compensate and rebuild Ukraine.

This report is focused on the necessary and immediate work of rebuilding Ukraine. But the model has wider applications. It is our hope that it will be used in future conflicts where traditional models of reparations fail, and that its successful use to assist Ukraine will make it another check on and disincentive for countries that would otherwise be willing to begin a war of aggression.

We believe the New Lines model will be a tool to help keep future peace, as well as one that can aid in Ukraine’s reconstruction.

-Dr. Azeem Ibrahim OBE, Director of Special Initiatives