Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

I dunno if my tinfoil hat needs adustment but as I couldn't sleep last night I was fiddling about with my phone and was checking in with FlightRadar. The amount of transatlantic US Navy/USAF/Canadian RAF traffic all heading for Central Europe was noteworthy, I think i must've counted 5 or 6 planes coming over us between sort of 4am-6am. One of which was a big Stratotanker.

And THEN, without a word of a lie, after the wife went to the shower and I opened TikTok (yer da on tiktok, I know..), the first video up was this story... 

Coincidence? Should I lay off the cheese n biccies before bed?

8 hours ago, dorlomin said:

And likely the best of its prewar trained pilots. Though I suspect a big portion of them were on the ground as there were a couple of utter shambolic losses of near entire flights to ground action. Rotor aviation is a keystone of western ground forces. They are usually assigned to the army and are seen as the main MBT killer (AH-64). I guess Soviet\Russian doctrine has really confined them to being sort of small fast, MRLS systems. So perhaps not the loss it seems from a western perspective. 

Edited to add, the low ammunition as a driver for reckless Hokum runs? This ties with a long running theory Russia is starting to see the bottom of its usable stock. That may match with the rise in ground to air Hokum kills over the past week, the buying from DPRK, the shopping in Iran the whole story of the past few weeks. 

My hot take on mobilisation was it was going to be for one big rush before ammo ran dry. But its been chaotic so far and not produced much in the way of enhanced fighting power. With the renewed nuclear sabre rattling well this may be Xi now in full control or it may be that they are getting real desperate. 

Horrible world when you are constantly guessing about everything. 

Do they not have ejector seats?

20 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Do they not have ejector seats?

Rare for helicopters but they do. Apparently they blades have explosive bolts that allow the pilot to eject. Most combat helicopters rely on hoping the blades remain intact so you can autorotate down. Not seen footage of one working. Ejecting is a brown trousers enough moment without hoping you are not headed into rotors!

14 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Rare for helicopters but they do. Apparently they blades have explosive bolts that allow the pilot to eject. Most combat helicopters rely on hoping the blades remain intact so you can autorotate down. Not seen footage of one working. Ejecting is a brown trousers enough moment without hoping you are not headed into rotors!

Beats the early F-104’s…ejected downward, caused pretty stiff loses for the Luftwaffe as they transitioned from subsonic to supersonic aircraft with pilots having not really had enough experience. The most common issues were in the pattern, where an ejection more often than not resulted in plowing a field with the pilot.

Of current choppers, only the Ka-50 and Ka-52 have ejection seats.

Just now, beefybake said:

Wasn't Prince Harry doing something similar on his stint in Afghanistan ?

Sitting somewhere safe, calling in the airstrikes.

Not sure about Harry but some of the US drones are controlled from offices in Las Vegas.

5 minutes ago, beefybake said:

•  

Wasn't Prince Harry doing something similar on his stint in Afghanistan ?

Sitting somewhere safe, calling in the airstrikes.

Not really. Forward Air Control in his first tour, which usually sees you fairly close to the shenanigans, then he was a co-pilot and pilot of Apaches in his second tour.

Russia (GROM 22) and NATO (Steadfast Noon) have some annual nuclear drills coming up in the next day or so. Russia may test a rocket during these. This was published and discussed well in advance. 

Just getting it in advance in case someone on social media tries to start a panic. 

Shoigu had a call with the Chinese making claims about the Ukrainian "dirty bomb" plot. 

https://meduza.io/en/news/2022/10/26/russian-defense-minister-sergey-shoigu-repeats-dirty-bomb-allegations-to-india-and-china

The MFA raised it with the UN

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-raises-accusation-un-ukraine-dirty-bomb-plans-2022-10-25/

Its looking more and more like this is a real plan that is running through the steps in a playbook by the Russians. This looks so comically obvious that they may actually be planning to do this and not simply more of the "desatanation" level guff. 

Jesus wept. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 hours ago, jagfox said:

Bold move, possibly in anticipation of the Ruskies getting rinsed ?

Prague was liberated by Ukrainians in 1945 and that's probably who the monument honours. So it's maybe just an apolitical joke like the traffic-cone-on-the-head George Square statue.

12 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Prague was liberated by Ukrainians in 1945 and that's probably who the monument honours. So it's maybe just an apolitical joke like the traffic-cone-on-the-head George Square statue.

More likely a comment on the volume of Domestic Appliances that have been 'liberated' by Russian soldiers during their wee trip.

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

Shoigu had a call with the Chinese making claims about the Ukrainian "dirty bomb" plot. 

https://meduza.io/en/news/2022/10/26/russian-defense-minister-sergey-shoigu-repeats-dirty-bomb-allegations-to-india-and-china

The MFA raised it with the UN

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-raises-accusation-un-ukraine-dirty-bomb-plans-2022-10-25/

Its looking more and more like this is a real plan that is running through the steps in a playbook by the Russians. This looks so comically obvious that they may actually be planning to do this and not simply more of the "desatanation" level guff. 

Jesus wept. 

Putin mentioned the plot earlier today too, in a domestic address. 

Edited by jagfox