Russian invasion of Ukraine

Sonam

6 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

So what is the reason that taking Moscow means taking Russia? I’ve been saying it to my wife too, and she thinks I’m very wise. But I’m not. I’m not wise. 

It's where the Lamborgini (sp?) shops are and bank vaults full of gold. 

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Russia is very centralised as a country and most of the main transport links in the European part radiate from there so whoever controls Moscow has a big advantage.

9 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Bit like how taking Stirling Castle used to be taking Scotland.

Every Major Road (Motorways, obviously) and Railway in Russia centres on Moscow (see the images below), and the Power Structure centres around who sits in the Kremlin.

Economically, having Moscow cut off from Russia is a huge kick in the balls for the state, mainly because of its "hub" position.

Politically, it's a bullet in the foot, because of the significance.

Historically, Moscow hasn't fallen in recent history. The Swedes, French and Germans (Nazis, not the Empire) have all failed. Their empires were all destroyed as a result. The only time it has fallen was during the Russian Civil War - in other words, Russia took it. This would be different, as Wagner is a PMC and, despite being based in Russia, they aren't an asset of the state. It's an outside yet internal force. F**k knows how that works going forward, but moving on...

And also, Putin's reputation won't be in the mud, it'll be 2012-RFC levels of non-existent.

Road and Rail Maps, as mentioned above:russia-rail-map.thumb.jpg.f5a25997ffeab3151ac793cab94c7ed5.jpgrussia-road-map.thumb.jpg.5e953c59b757a9b4e92459c46341a787.jpg

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's where the Lamborgini (sp?) shops are and bank vaults full of gold. 

4 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Taking Moscow would be a capital idea.

I love P&B, I really do. 

1 minute ago, sparky88 said:

Surprised there hasn't been more resistance from ordinary people to attempt to stop the Wagner convoy.

You're surprised a group of people repressively ruled by a lunatic aren't keen to put themselves in danger to stop another, heavily armed lunatic from travelling to Ruelski St to seek a straightener with the first lunatic? 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

You're surprised a group of people repressively ruled by a lunatic aren't keen to put themselves in danger to stop another, heavily armed lunatic from travelling to Ruelski St to seek a straightener with the first lunatic? 

Yes, in the sense to that we are told that Putin is popular. 

Just now, sparky88 said:

Yes, in the sense to that we are told that Putin is popular. 

There's "I like you enough to vote for you every 4 years" popular and there's "I like you so much I'm going to kill myself and have my family optionally tortured and murdered by charging headfirst against the battalion of fully-armed-and-equpped-and-battlehardened war criminals that happen to be passing through my town in a surprise attack" popular.

Most Russians are likely in the first category.

2 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I’m running about Twitter like a dog in heat, where is everyone else getting updates? How far/likely are Wagner from getting to Moscow?

Ukrainian intelligence reckons The Kremlin and the Wagner boy are talking.

He will probably be offered something to f**k off - maybe Ukraine?