Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?   

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Hold on? One minute our expectations are too high, now we're underachieving? 

Make up your mind pls. 

You have been underachieving for 20years with the third highest budget in Scottish football.

1 trophy in that time. St Johnstone have 3. Even a wee diddy team like St Mirren have won 1 in that time.

I think Goodwin will do really well at Aberdeen if given time. This season he will make you harder to beat, which might not be pretty, but will see them pick up points they wouldn't have earlier. I doubt you will see much more of David Bates carrying the ball out if defence. In fact, depending who else is there you probably won't see much more of Bates full stop.

Edited by GAD

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think Goodwin will.do really well at Aberdeen if given time. Thus season he will make you harder to beat, which might not be pretty, but will see them pick up points they wouldn't have earlier. I doubt you will see much more of David Bates carrying the ball out if defence. In fact, depending who else is there you probably won't see much more of Bates full stop.

Unless Jim has miracle healing in his skill set he'll have little choice

3 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I'm on board with this. 

Never have I seen a less imposing centre half. He's not even that good a passer of the ball, he just seems ok with it being at his feet. Slows everything down. 

Yeah, I was at the game a few weeks ago and St Mirren were happy to have Bates on the ball for the whole game. Everything about it just played into our hands as he was so poor Brown and Ferguson were having to go back into the defence to take the ball off him, making it really comfortable for the Saints midfeild and defence to dominate the space while Aberdeen had all the ball.

The big criticisms for Goodwin for me are he's sometimes a bit stubborn when things aren't working out, like the 3 at the back before Christmas that I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about. He also seems a bit weird with players playing for a few weeks then dissapearing without a trace. The other one is his transfer dealings have generally been really good, except up front where we've had a few donkeys, and we've never scored enough goals under him. But with you guys already having (imo anyway) one of the best strikers in the league that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Bates was playing through choice or necessity right now.

McCrorie's the only other fit Cb and he's now a rb. We had Brown and Ferguson in there last week. Three Scotland caps out injured. 

Bates has been mostly OK though. 

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Bates has been good for months. St Mirren game was an anomaly. Everyone was shite that night.

He’s been crap recently. 

His distribution on Tuesday was woeful in the first half and fir park was embarrassing for him. 

He’s improved from the bates that first arrived, though. 

56 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:
Folk think Jack Ross will come back need to get real. We are a sadly a step down for him and after his two sacking’s  he won’t need to rush back. Pity this has happened as it will sadly derail what promised to be a great season. Our only hope is we appoint quick and it’s someone with the personality and the knowledge to lift the lads again 

St Mirren manager is a step down from unemployment. Heard it all now !

So you think we have a hope

11 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

Love it. 

The feigning of good will, with a cheeky barb at the end. 

Delicious. 

No feigning of good will here. Jim is all round Saints legend and a thoroughly good guy. Not many people captain us to a cup win and go on to manage us well too.

As for my barb- whilst he'll improve you, I'll maintain he'll need all the luck. Aberdeen has been a bit of  a managerial graveyard for a while now and not many have managed to leave for a bigger club or better job. 

1 minute ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Let me get this straight...

St Mirren's current manager is the best player in the club's history, and he is willing to jump ship to a lower-placed Aberdeen at the first opportunity?

St Mirren, what a small club.

If you're going to troll, best work on your English.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s been crap recently. 

His distribution on Tuesday was woeful in the first half and fir park was embarrassing for him. 

He’s improved from the bates that first arrived, though. 

I'd suggest the blame should be placed at the foot of the guy who played beside him.

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

The boring, tedious, laughable cliche of “stick in the 80’s” trotted by the ignorant fannies in opposing supports is hilarious.

And pig ignorant of the truth 

I don’t think you’re stuck in the 80s and expecting that level of success. I do however think that Scottish top flight football now, very much so,  consists of the Old Firm and the rest. I don’t see a helluva’ lot between seven or eight clubs. I don’t see Aberdeen’s ‘3rd biggest budget in Scottish football’ guaranteeing you anything. Certainly not guaranteeing Jim Goodwin, or anyone, meeting whatever your expectations are, that would see them not go the way of Glass in a couple of seasons. Your board and fans are certainly seeking something, no different from fans of any club of course. You might not be seeking the 80s success, but you better get your heads around the fact that, no matter your budget, you are no more likely to finish 3rd or 4th and win the odd cup than a lot of other top flight clubs these days.