Doonhamers vs. Red Lichties

I'm happy I'll be attending Palmerston with a touch of optimism for once in a long time. Arbroath are flying and I don't know who can catch them so it's the hardest possible start for Gibson. They may well be on a particular high if they see off Hibs today.

It should be a good indication of how Gibson intends to have us play for the remainder of the season. It's old fashioned now but I'm hoping he has two up top at least. We aren't strong at all in midfield (and particularly if Low is playing) whereas Arbroath are so you kind of want at least 3 in there rather than 2. Maybe a 3-5-2?

If Gibson has any sense and knows what kind of player Gibson is then I expect Gibson to be RB/RWB. Though it wouldn't surprise me seeing him in CM.

Obviously we need and I hope for a win but I still expect an Arbroath victory but any signs of improvement/fight and I'll be happy.

One of the worst fixtures to have when we need a new manager bounce. Arbroath are still flying high, and I just don’t see that we’ve got enough to be the ones to change that.

At this point I just want to see that Gibson has an idea what he’s doing, and we put up a fight. 

One of the worst fixtures to have when we need a new manager bounce. Arbroath are still flying high, and I just don’t see that we’ve got enough to be the ones to change that.
 At this point I just want to see that Gibson has an idea what he’s doing, and we put up a fight. 
I suppose you could argue it's the ideal fixture to start with. It's a game we're expected to lose so it's almost a 'free hit'* for Gibson to start to get an idea of how he wants to approach games. There isn't as much pressure on him here than there would be against a relegation rival for example.

* I use that term loosely. We really need to be looking to pick up points at home regardless of the opponent.

The positive to take from Gibson being an (interim) internal appointment is he should already be fully aware of each individual players strengths and weaknesses and have ideas about what selection, formation and approach should bring the best out of the team as a whole.  Unlike Johnston.

Although I still fully expect us to lose to Arbroath, I'm looking forward to attending in person again.  I haven't had the inclination to pay £18 to watch the predictable dross served up under AJ for a few months and have relied on the streaming service for my Saturday depression session.  Now that the clown car has left the car park I'm keen to see what changes Willie makes.

Does anyone know why Connelly and Nditi were missing yesterday?  Hopefully they are both back on Saturday.

The positive to take from Gibson being an (interim) internal appointment is he should already be fully aware of each individual players strengths and weaknesses and have ideas about what selection, formation and approach should bring the best out of the team as a whole.  Unlike Johnston.
Although I still fully expect us to lose to Arbroath, I'm looking forward to attending in person again.  I haven't had the inclination to pay £18 to watch the predictable dross served up under AJ for a few months and have relied on the streaming service for my Saturday depression session.  Now that the clown car has left the car park I'm keen to see what changes Willie makes.
Does anyone know why Connelly and Nditi were missing yesterday?  Hopefully they are both back on Saturday.
They were both at the game yesterday, so presumably injured rather than covid.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Looking forward to this now. 

I don't know if things will necessarily be much different, but it feels like there might be a chance of that.  

Yes, it feels like the air of doom and gloom has been lifted. I'm just looking for a more positive, forward attitude on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

This just got a lot tougher after AJ’s punting this morning. 

That was a tough 90 minutes on a heavy pitch for us this afternoon. Hopefully there will be no ill effects from that. 

You played really well for quite a bit of the game. If you'd taken at least one of the early second half chances it could all have been different.

2 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

You played really well for quite a bit of the game. If you'd taken at least one of the early second half chances it could all have been different.

Yea we had our chances and it could have been all so different. Still really pleased with the effort and performance. 

From every depressing interview I've watched, I just got the feeling that AJ must be demotivating his players, so will be interesting to see what a positive motivational approach might bring on Saturday, especially if coupled with players put in their naturally best positions.

That said, we're still playing the league's top side and we're bottom of the pile so expectations have to be tempered.

Still can't see us getting out of this mess, but at least the rest of the season might be interesting instead of the guaranteed borefest that was beckoning.

Last couple of games have given me the fear a wee bit. The game against Hamilton was horrendous however we did still take a point. We looked off of it in the middle of the park and down the wings. It’s been so unlike us. Similarly v Hibs there were a lot of positives but again the same problems as there was against Hamilton for spells.

Think JT has been well below his usual standards, I think Hammy is being exposed when he’s got Nicky Low in front of him and I think Nicky Low playing wide left is a crime against football. Young Chris Hamilton not had his best games either. I’d be tempted to change things up to try and rectify it because on the plus side Wighton and especially Jack Hamilton are looking like they are turning into a good wee partnership. Jack Hamilton has been fantastic.

I would like to see the below 

Gaston 

JT

Little

ToB

Hammy

Henderson

McKenna 

LOW CENTRE MIDFIELD

Stewart

Wighton 

Jack Hamilton

For this game on Saturday.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Last couple of games have given me the fear a wee bit. The game against Hamilton was horrendous however we did still take a point. We looked off of it in the middle of the park and down the wings. It’s been so unlike us. Similarly v Hibs there were a lot of positives but again the same problems as there was against Hamilton for spells.

Think JT has been well below his usual standards, I think Hammy is being exposed when he’s got Nicky Low in front of him and I think Nicky Low playing wide left is a crime against football. Young Chris Hamilton not had his best games either. I’d be tempted to change things up to try and rectify it because on the plus side Wighton and especially Jack Hamilton are looking like they are turning into a good wee partnership. Jack Hamilton has been fantastic.

I would like to see the below 

Gaston 

JT

Little

ToB

Hammy

Henderson

McKenna 

LOW CENTRE MIDFIELD

Stewart

Wighton 

Jack Hamilton

For this game on Saturday.

Think I need a lie down as I agree with pretty much every word you say… for once 😜

the only difference I would have in that staring 11 is that I would play Henderson alongside Low in the centre of midfield and McKenna wide right. Definitely need Stewart’s dynamism to assist Hammy. All 5 goals conceded in the last week have come down our left, it’s definitely being targeted by our opponents.

40 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I wouldn't be dropping Chris Hamilton just yet, didnt play too great against Hamilton but cant recall another bad game he has had. I would consider Bobby on the left, think he could cause problems on that surface.

Would be happy to see Bobby out there what he lacks defensively he’s always a big out ball for us and takes us up the park. I don’t think Low does either.

Henderson is a threat at the back post and is reasonable going forward, great defensively.

Craigen is a bit of both, ok defensively and going forward.

Low is never going to take anyone on and defensively he’s not up to it against quick wingers. When he’s out there he basically just does a chip ball into the corners for Wighton or Hamilton every single time.

We need him in the middle of the park taking the ball of Tam and Ricky and playing it forward with the whole game infront of him. He’s our best player we need him in his best position 

22 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Think I need a lie down as I agree with pretty much every word you say… for once 😜

the only difference I would have in that staring 11 is that I would play Henderson alongside Low in the centre of midfield and McKenna wide right. Definitely need Stewart’s dynamism to assist Hammy. All 5 goals conceded in the last week have come down our left, it’s definitely being targeted by our opponents.

JT has been very good right up until the Killie game I think. Even then he had a decent game but after watching it back all of Kilmarnock chances come down that side with Murray getting the better of him a couple of times. 

In fairness to every single one of them the schedule has been extremely tough recently and we are finally coming out of winter. Think it’s a harder period for part time players due to many things. Hopefully now it’s back to Saturday To Saturday with only Partick at home midweek and the Spring time looming it’s a bit easier on the guys

Edited by 1320Lichtie