Energy Prices

MuckleMoo

5 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

It’s one thing to sign the petition.

Another altogether to go through with it.

Arses will collapse.

While that may be the case, there are probably enough people out there who won’t pay because they can’t pay.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Seeing as there hasn't been a general strike for nearly 100 years I think it's highly unlikely that it will happen, only the TUC can call a general strike and then presumably each industry has to ballot separately reaching both the turnout and in favour figure would be difficult in some sectors. Even the railways which have a proud history of union representation you saw a number of folk vote no or fail to vote.

I think coordinated action is more likely, I'm not sure if it would reach the required numbers to have such an effect that the right wing press would stop attacking workers and start attacking the government and energy companies profiteering.

Perhaps what would be most interesting is if the energy sector started to strike over such enormous rewards not being passed down to the workers.

On unionisation my industry fairly well represented compared to others,  we have an historic union who have some influence at national level,  but I’m not a member and as far as i know none of my colleagues are, I think if i was to present an argument to my colleagues about all joining a union it would impossible,  I dread to know how other sectors feel.  

I grew up post thatcher and it seems that before then unions meant something,  i think now we are probably looking back over 100 years seeking answers about how we properly organise without a background of unions and union rights.

An interesting comparative view across Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/20/estonia-europe-inflation-hotspot-23-per-cent

The Estonian plan for a 'universal electricity service' at production cost only sounds intriguing. We really should be decoupling electricity from gas pricing to favour the former, and perhaps that's a step towards doing so. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

An interesting comparative view across Europe:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/20/estonia-europe-inflation-hotspot-23-per-cent

The Estonian plan for a 'universal electricity service' at production cost only sounds intriguing. We really should be decoupling electricity from gas pricing to favour the former, and perhaps that's a step towards doing so. 

As long as 'production cost' isn't able to be manifestly manipulated.

On 19/08/2022 at 12:05, oaksoft said:

Of all the things to worry about, how you receive this money is hardly one of them.

You've been given advance notice of when you'll get it. When the money comes into your account, simply go online and pay it to them as a lump sum.

Only issue i can see is simply handing out free money has never worked out before, do we honestly think that everyone will put that money to energy usage, or will a good portion of people spend it elsewhere, likely on non essentials, then when the free money finishes they'll complain they have no money

Just look at the reaction to the temp 20 benefits increase during covid that EVERYONE knew was temp

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Only issue i can see is simply handing out free money has never worked out before, do we honestly think that everyone will put that money to energy usage, or will a good portion of people spend it elsewhere, likely on non essentials, then when the free money finishes they'll complain they have no money

Just look at the reaction to the temp 20 benefits increase during covid that EVERYONE knew was temp

Lol wut

Aye it's a disgrace that people have the temerity to complain about being dunted back to £80 per week. Shouldn't have had all those champagne and oyster brunches while it was £20 higher!

57 minutes ago, virginton said:

Lol wut

Aye it's a disgrace that people have the temerity to complain about being dunted back to £80 per week. Shouldn't have had all those champagne and oyster brunches while it was £20 higher!

I wouldnt have bothered with the oyster part if it wasnt for the governments stupid "substantial meal" rules so it's their own fault

10 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/aug/21/gps-could-prescribe-money-off-energy-bills-under-treasury-plan

Isn't going to happen but it just shows how fucking stupid this government is. I mean, who the f**k comes up with something like this?

So, I assume that all GP’s are now qualified accountants and economists? Shouldn’t add more than 10-20 minutes at a visit, and reduce capacity at the average GP a good bit, nice one, Liz! Seems a stealthy way to kill some of the “underclass” rif-raf.

Giving handouts won't work because all the energy companies will do is raise prices even more to swallow up the handout.

The real issue is to tackle the producers - if we had a truly competitive market then there would be different prices for different sources instead of the nonsense of all energy being pegged at the cost of gas.

Giving handouts won't work because all the energy companies will do is raise prices even more to swallow up the handout.

The real issue is to tackle the producers - if we had a truly competitive market then there would be different prices for different sources instead of the nonsense of all energy being pegged at the cost of gas.

Seen this with the 5p fuel duty cut. It got hoovered up within probably 2 days.

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

“Handouts” 

The state of some people on here, you wouldn’t think the point of government is to help the people during a crisis 

Distributing money which was taken directly from the taxes paid by the people of the UK towards avoiding a mass crisis for said people = "handouts" mate. It's their money. Not ours. 

“Handouts” 
The state of some people on here, you wouldn’t think the point of government is to help the people during a crisis 
That's not what people are saying - the point is that giving cash to reduce bills does not deal with the root causes - the shit awful regulation of energy production and supply.

Energy markets have been rigged and manipulated for years with little done to deal with these speculating thieves.