Arbroath v Partick Thistle

Massive game on Tuesday.

We've been stealing points recently - haven't deserved anything from the last 3 league games but have somehow managed to scrape 3 draws, mostly due to our superb defence.

Yes you can argue that it's a sign of champions to get wins or draws when not playing well but this is becoming a habit, which is unsustainable. I fear we're due a pumping (Hamilton should have given us one) if we carry on playing like this so a huge improvement required. Too many players not performing so I would maybe shake things up a bit and please, please, please keep the ball on the grass. We were at our best earlier in the season keeping it down and running at the opposition not aimlessly lumping it up the park.

Prediction (hope) - Arbroath regain their attacking flair for a home win.

ETA - Partick seem as unable to win as us at the moment so probably 0-0.

Edited by Tattie36

3 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Arbroath have scored two goals in the last 3 league games - both penalties v Hamilton.

Sure but our record (not just in results but performances) against Arbroath is shocking. 
Dick Campbell will have his game-plan well worked out for this one again, I fear. 

On 27/02/2022 at 08:57, timlichtie said:

A lot of knocks to our back 4 on Saturday and JT subbed off. Hopefully no serious injuries but with only 2 days to recover our thin squad may struggle.

Can’t believe we never signed anyone. Squad is decent size on paper but I think on Saturday it showed that DC not confident in some of them. Swankie/Hilson/Bakare and Ford don’t fill me with too much confidence in terms of coming on and making a big impact and Nicky Low has his injury troubles. Effectively 5 players that. 

On Saturday in the first half I thought we played well. Second half a total battle again and nobody putting their foot on the ball both teams. 

Im not confident but we will see. I just pray for a fit Nicky every week now.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Swankie/Hilson/Bakare and Ford don’t fill me with too much confidence in terms of coming on and making a big impact

Reckon you could add the manager's favourite Luke Donnelly to that list.

Really need to up our game after 2 poor performances, get a win and open a wee gap at the top the table. We have tended to play our best games against teams nearer the top than bottom of the league so hopefully that will continue tonight. But again, a draw wouldn't be a bad result for either side.

20 minutes ago, SotesBornalichtie said:

Reckon you could add the manager's favourite Luke Donnelly to that list.

Really need to up our game after 2 poor performances, get a win and open a wee gap at the top the table. We have tended to play our best games against teams nearer the top than bottom of the league so hopefully that will continue tonight. But again, a draw wouldn't be a bad result for either side.

I like Luke Donnelly. He has a good touch and is a clever player but I think our forward players have had slim pickings the last few weeks and not much to work with. Even Wighton getting a hard time and he did lose the ball a few times Saturday but he was trying to make things happen and his clever lay offs and touches got us in good attacking positions. Final balls and deliveries recently been lacking big time and we’ve not created anything for Jack Hamilton really.

Feels like all I’ve read the last few weeks are “Draw isn’t a bad result, Good point” etc etc. We’re now 3 league games without a win, and coming onto the home straight of the season. Time to start winning games again, especially at home to teams we’ve already beaten twice this season! Win here and we are 3 points clear with 9 to play, plus having a decent goal difference advantage over Killie as well.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Swankie/Hilson/Bakare and Ford don’t fill me with too much confidence in terms of coming on and making a big impact

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I like Luke Donnelly. He has a good touch and is a clever player

But is he likely to fill you with confidence in terms of making an impact? I remember him scoring a flukey goal against Dunfermline at Gayfield a couple of years ago, much like Jack Hamilton's against Killie a couple of weeks ago. Other than that I can only remember one game, can't remember who it was against, when I thought he had a good game. But it was in a game that we dominated, probably in League 1.

When we are having to fight for every ball he wouldn't be my first choice to start or even come on as a sub. Sometimes think the manager would be doing the lad a favour by letting him go, or loaning him out, to a League 1 or 2 club where he would be playing regularly and improve his game.