Top 4.

Arbroath ( promoted)

Kilmarnock ( to lose to St. Johnstone in play offs)

Caley ( lose to Killie in play offs)

Raith Rovers( to lose to Caley in play offs).

Bottom 3

Ayr

Dunfermline ( relegated, to lose to Airdrie in play offs)

QOS ( relegated).

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Pretty sure the team finishing 4th has never won a single play-off tie since they were introduced.

Which isn’t all that surprising since you’re rewarding a side for finishing mid-table.

You're right, Play Off's awarded to where you finish in the league is ridiculous.

It should be based on the teams with the best haircuts or best coloured boots.

Maybe your team would be in with a shout at playoff's if you qualified with haircuts or boots.

Makes sense to me.

You're right, Play Off's awarded to where you finish in the league is ridiculous.
Maybe your team would be in with a shout at playoff's if you qualified with haircuts or boots.
Makes sense to me.

Ironic considering you seem to have made little sense of the post you’re quoting.

The whole idea of the playoffs is nonsense. It doesn’t provide any extra entertainment despite what some would have you think and the idea that a team can get into the playoffs despite finishing just above mid table is laughable. It’s a waste of time as well as there’s zero chance of a team in 3rd or 4th actually getting up so you’re playing ties for nothing.

Either scrap the playoffs and make it 2 up and 2 down in all the leagues or make the leagues bigger so that there is an actual gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.

39 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Pretty sure the team finishing 4th has never won a single play-off tie since they were introduced.

Which isn’t all that surprising since you’re rewarding a side for finishing mid-table.

It should be 2nd in the Championship v 11th in the Premiership.

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ironic considering you seem to have made little sense of the post you’re quoting.

The whole idea of the playoffs is nonsense. It doesn’t provide any extra entertainment despite what some would have you think and the idea that a team can get into the playoffs despite finishing just above mid table is laughable. It’s a waste of time as well as there’s zero chance of a team in 3rd or 4th actually getting up so you’re playing ties for nothing.

Either scrap the playoffs and make it 2 up and 2 down in all the leagues or make the leagues bigger so that there is an actual gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.

The irony lies in that you seem to have taken my frivolity of a post seriously.

I was emphasing and agreeing, by sarcasm, with Cardle.

The fact that your team may fall into the bottom P.O's compels you to totally be against them, how would you feel if you were lying third or fourth top at present? I'm sure you would be as quiet as a mouse re P.O's.

I bet your reply will strongly assert otherwise.

You can argue about the sporting merits of them, but the idea that they don't provide any additional entertainment is patently nonsense.

Plenty of the most memorable moments in Scottish football in recent years have come in these playoffs. Hibs capitulating against Accies, Motherwell battering Rangers, Falkirk stealing it against Hibs for starters, before you even consider the lower tiers.

It adds a bit of intrigue at this point of the season too - the season would be done for Inverness, Thistle and Raith if they didn't exist.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You can argue about the sporting merits of them, but the idea that they don't provide any additional entertainment is patently nonsense.

Plenty of the most memorable moments in Scottish football in recent years have come in these playoffs. Hibs capitulating against Accies, Motherwell battering Rangers, Falkirk stealing it against Hibs for starters, before you even consider the lower tiers.

It adds a bit of intrigue at this point of the season too - the season would be done for Inverness, Thistle and Raith if they didn't exist.

Yeah they’re definitely a good thing for me. Adds a whole lot to the game right through all 3 divisions. Always something to play for, they’re massive In my opinion in terms of creating interest right up until the last day.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Wato Kuate's meltdown for Dundee United

Willo Flood's meltdown for Dundee United

Sean Dillon's meltdown for Dundee United

Every penalty taker's meltdown for Dundee United

The list is endless. 

The fact that your team may fall into the bottom P.O's compels you to totally be against them, how would you feel if you were lying third or fourth top at present? I'm sure you would be as quiet as a mouse re P.O's.

We finished 4th and tbh I couldn’t have cared less if we played in the playoffs or not. You invariably end up limping into them by which point you know that there’s no chance of you progressing in them. Be as well just ending it there.

How long ago were those matches though. Granted, they were highly memorable but those teams involved were actually of a far better quality than we have now. Genuinely couldn’t recall the last play off matches I watched and thought it was a good spectacle.

My overall point was more that I don’t think a team finishing 4/10 should get a crack (albeit a slim crack) of going up. Restructuring the leagues is never going to happen anytime soon but it’s maybe for the best right now.

The playoffs are far from perfect but to suggest they add nothing is mental. At the moment every single team in the championship still has something to play for at both ends of the table, surely that’s better than half the teams going through the motions for the next 6 weeks.

From an Arbroath perspective, we’ve never had a particularly good experience with playoffs - been in loads but only promoted once through them, if my memory serves me correctly. Obviously 2 up automatically would be amazing for us this season but that’s not the rules so if we end up in the playoffs then so be it.

I also like the fact that a team who has a brilliant run post new year and is on form can have the opportunity to go up over a team going in the opposite direction.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Makes sense to me.

52 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Playoff's what?

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I don’t know how I’d feel if my team finished clear in second place by, say 15 points, only to lose in the play off to a team more than 15 points behind. Feels a bit unfair when I think about it. Especially if there were mitigating circumstances for losing the play offs. It is what it is I suppose.

The self-preservation league would never go for that idea as it would make it a level playing field for the Championship side. Something the current setup insures isn't the case.

The whole setup at this level is a complete farce.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

11th v 2nd would have the exact same chance of relegation as the current set up.

I wouldn't say it's exactly the same chance, as the play-off semi final beforehand has an impact. It's nowhere near as much as Championship posters claim, but I'd be very surprised if Premier League clubs would choose a straight two-leg play-off for that reason. 

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We finished 4th and tbh I couldn’t have cared less if we played in the playoffs or not. You invariably end up limping into them by which point you know that there’s no chance of you progressing in them. 

That's clearly not inevitable at all. A team that has sacked a haddy manager could instead break into the top 4 in the final weeks of the campaign. Clubs also don't need to appoint losers like McCall or indeed Jim Duffy, who declare job done and down tools from March onwards. 

The main reason why a 4th placed team is unlikely to do well this time round is because there's no quality in the league overall. 

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Makes sense to me.

What the f**k are you talking about?

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I wouldn’t have an issue with this tbh. I’d even make it a one-off game at a neutral venue for added intrigue.

Play-offs are inherently unfair but the idea is they bring enough excitement to outweigh that. They work down south because it’s actually a decent effort to finish in the top 6 of a 24-team division, across 46 matches.

Meanwhile, some absolutely ganting teams have made the play-offs in this league, which never had the slightest chance of promotion - just look at us last year, or Morton, Ayr, Queens.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

11th v 2nd would have the exact same chance of relegation as the current set up.

No it wouldn’t.

As it stands, the team in 2nd has to play two extra high tempo, important  play off games immediately prior to playing the 11th placed team, while the 11th placed team can just sit back and watch and wait.

Yes that is of course technically correct, but 11th vs 2nd would give 2nd place a fairer and better chance of promotion.