Scott Brown retires

Was a comfortable player in Scotland. Did well at hibs and celtic but clearly didn't see himself progressing elsewhere. This league is his level. Internationally he didn't do great. 

Meh he did well. His own thread because he played for three Scottish teams? In the sea 

2 minutes ago, thisal said:

Celtic fans think he's a legend and reading this thread tells you why. 

Ps you don't cause this much seethe if you're shite.

I don't think anybody thinks he was shite. Clearly quite a good player.

But I think the fawning over him just mirrors the daft fawning we had over Celtic's inevitable successes in the last decade or so.

He's set himself up for life and no doubt taken care of his family, and fair play to him.

But he's not really all that significant a figure in the shake-down of our game. There's nothing really of note there.

1 hour ago, thisal said:

Celtic fans think he's a legend and reading this thread tells you why. 

Ps you don't cause this much seethe if you're shite.

image.thumb.jpeg.de5ad2bbb0eeb8271a5be295f95585ba.jpeg

ETA - why the f**k us he in a tree? Can only assume he’s hoofed a shot again.

Edited by gannonball

For most of his career I found him pretty easy to dislike, particularly after his Scotland retirement, but met him through work quite a few times 4 or 5 years ago and he was extremely sound and generous. A funny and self-deprecating guy too. It took me a while to accept that liking the Celtic captain could be possible but he made it so.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

So yeah, basically you were giving your opinion on how he should be regarded by his fans, which is what you’re opposing here.

Even in a thread that has nothing all to do with Rangers you want to make it a Stevie G fawnathon?

Crack on 😂

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

To suggest they had no credible challenge to win any of the 12 trophies on the bounce is pretty ridiculous, Rangers* were racking up heavy losses at the time to do so and even doing well in Europe latterly. Speaking of, he was rarely at fault in Europe and was often the guy still always looking for the ball in those scuddings you speak of, that is not the mark of a man being ‘found out’ and his stats prove that. He also won players player of the year in 2009 so that pre-20012 stuff doesn’t really add up either really.

It’s an opinion. Do you feel at any point during that period Celtic faced a genuine challenge domestically, until Gerrard came in? More specifically the league, because cup competitions are a bit more unpredictable due to their nature.

The losses we racked up was still a fraction of your income advantage. We have significantly behind Celtic in that department during this whole period.

His success cannot be questioned, my point is more around his hard-man, commanding displays against my own team which generally diminished any time we had a half decent midfield.

And of course, I know he won POTY, I wasn’t saying he was a bad player, I never have. I’m discussing mainly in games against us, he generally only turned up when we were a basket case, with the odd exception, and he lived it up. He had nowhere near the same influence against us when you compare it to the period between 2016-2019.

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't think anybody thinks he was shite. Clearly quite a good player.

But I think the fawning over him just mirrors the daft fawning we had over Celtic's inevitable successes in the last decade or so.

He's set himself up for life and no doubt taken care of his family, and fair play to him.

But he's not really all that significant a figure in the shake-down of our game. There's nothing really of note there.

Just the 23 major honours in Scotland but aye nothing of note 

1 minute ago, Jinky67 said:

Even in a thread that has nothing all to do with Rangers you want to make it a Stevie G fawnathon?

Crack on 😂

Not at all, I was just using it to point out a little hypocrisy, that’s all.

14 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

Anytime I watch the highlights of this one I always think the same thing.

"Scott Brown with a full head of hair is absolutely fucking weird."

Edited by RiG

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Just the 23 major honours in Scotland but aye nothing of note 

Sounds impressive till you put some context on it, aye.

But there's Rangers players from the 90s won an avalanche of medals, nearly made a European Cup final, played for Scotland at World Cups and Euros etc.

Brown's not at that level. His career has been strolling to inevitable titles, probably 2008 aside. And his European record is risible.

Scott Brown for me is one of the most depressing players in Scottish football, not because he was bad but because in my mind he could have been so much more.

It's a challenge that many countries with strong domestic leagues face, if you are Turkish / Russian / Egyptian you can make great coin and live at home in a relatively easy environment. You don't have to test yourself at the top level so many don't.

I understand that Brown had family issues (unsure of any issues post 2008 but that could well by my ignorance), but if he was Irish or Finnish (two similarly sized countries) he wouldn't be jobbing around in their leagues with his ability. He would have of course moved on, and likely to a top 5 league (at least given his potential as a youngster). And as a dynamic midfielder I think he could have become a much better player.

Getting publicly pished whilst a professional footballer is completely unacceptable IMO (even moreseo if you're a captain). I appreciate this is almost certainly an unpopular opinion, but it's unbelievably wasteful and sets the wrong example for young players. Rooney recently admitted he had an alcohol problem, probably one of the key reasons why he was pretty much finished at the highest level by 30/31 - Ibrahimovic is still playing at the top level at 40. I know who I'd rather have as captain.

Still, he won a lot of medals (far less likely had he moved) and earned millions whilst getting to stay in his home country. He won't care about what idiots like me think, and rightly so. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

I also very much understand the desire to stay in your home country, footballers are human beings after all. Callum McGregor could easily play in Europes top 5 leagues but chooses not to, it is good for our domestic game to retain these players even if it hampers their development. Were he Romanian, he would surely have moved on.

8 minutes ago, AJF said:

It’s an opinion. Do you feel at any point during that period Celtic faced a genuine challenge domestically, until Gerrard came in? More specifically the league, because cup competitions are a bit more unpredictable due to their nature.

The losses we racked up was still a fraction of your income advantage. We have significantly behind Celtic in that department during this whole period.

His success cannot be questioned, my point is more around his hard-man, commanding displays against my own team which generally diminished any time we had a half decent midfield.

And of course, I know he won POTY, I wasn’t saying he was a bad player, I never have. I’m discussing mainly in games against us, he generally only turned up when we were a basket case, with the odd exception, and he lived it up. He had nowhere near the same influence against us when you compare it to the period between 2016-2019.

Gerrard was there for the majority of those trophies we were mainly speaking about ? When you factor wage budgets and player trading we aren’t worlds apart for a ‘credible challenge’. Rangers should have at the very least won a cup really but Browns mentality helped make sure we did win every single one, to the point it probably papered over the cracks a bit too much in Lennons tenure.

Edited by gannonball

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Sounds impressive till you put some context on it, aye.

But there's Rangers players from the 90s won an avalanche of medals, nearly made a European Cup final, played for Scotland at World Cups and Euros etc.

Brown's not at that level. His career has been strolling to inevitable titles, probably 2008 aside. And his European record is risible.

If you are going to add context it’s probably best not to pick an era of Scottish Football where the dominant team where spending above their means in what was pretty much financial doping. Celtic done absolutely nothing wrong to find themselves in the position they were while Brown was captain.

You cited players such as McStay and Burns and both club legends but played in some average Celtic teams and have both pretty risible European records too.

You also can’t blame Scott Brown for playing in an era where our national team wasn’t as strong as it was in the 80’s and 90‘s

8 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Gerrard was there for the majority of those trophies we were mainly speaking about ? When you factor wage budgets and player trading we aren’t worlds apart for a ‘credible challenge’. Rangers should have at the very least won a cup really but Browns mentality helped make sure we did win every single one, to the point it probably papered over the cracks a bit too much in Lennons tenure.

My main point is that Brown’s hard man, superior act usually disappeared when he faced a decent side and things weren’t going his way to the extent a lot of his influence on matches went with it.  If you disagree, fair enough.

I will reiterate though, that’s not to say he wasn’t a good player, that’s not to say his achievements are not great and that’s not to say I wouldn’t have had him at Rangers. Basically, I’m taking pleasure in criticising s guy I hate 😂

I didn’t like his pantomime villain act, even at Aberdeen. But I have to say, the amount of players that fell for it was astounding. 

I can’t think of a more obvious wind up merchant over so many years and watching opposition player after opposition player have an absolute heads gone with him.