Scotland v Poland

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think VAR would have overturned that. It wasn't a penalty but there wasn't an obvious angle to show there was definitely no contact.

It was a clear dive. Regardless, it's a friendly and I think criticism of players for not time wasting is a bit OTT. 

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think VAR would have overturned that. It wasn't a penalty but there wasn't an obvious angle to show there was definitely no contact.

FFS! It was obvious it wasn't a pen.

A lot of positives in that game. Picked right up from the denmark game and on the whole controlled the game well against decent opposition.

Usual wee bit of lack of quality in the final 3rd but we are playing well.

Patterson impressive again. 

Wisny a penalty

Edited by greenockraver

I have absolutely zero confidence that VAR would've overturned the penalty.
It can go in the bin anyway.
Both goals came from incidents that involved diving. VAR involved, ours would have counted, theirs probably would have been chopped off.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Daft Q perhaps, but does losing that goal potentially impact our ranking for "pots" in other tournaments? 

The World Cup seeding is already sorted, and the Euros seeding is based entirely on Nations League position. World ranking won't come into play until the WC 2026 qualifiers, by which point tonight's result is unlikely to have much impact.

By the way, I thought we were very good tonight, this is a proper football team and we definitely have a shot at getting to this World Cup. Starting to build a deeper squad of guys who are more than good enough, with the added bonus that we tend to be really comfortable in possession and are starting to create a lot more chances.

By the way, I thought we were very good tonight, this is a proper football team and we definitely have a shot at getting to this World Cup. Starting to build a deeper squad of guys who are more than good enough, with the added bonus that we tend to be really comfortable in possession and are starting to create a lot more chances.
I think this is one of the biggest strides forward in recent years.
Our ability to calmly play the ball out from tight defensive situations is a most welcome attribute.

Thought Tierney seemed to thrive as a personality tonight in the absence of Robertson; constantly keeping the tempo going with quick free-kicks and line-breaking passes as well as excellent recoveries. He was the main man. McSauce really is all about whether you think the reward justifies the big risk. 

Based on his performance tonight, I'd probs just say play Patterson in June even if he still hasn't played for Everton, but he's so fucking good that losing him because Clarke (understandably) would be a bit uncertain would be a huge blow. Any other position and you're saying ease him in but what a difference he makes. 

I didn't like Christie tonight in the inside forward role. Just don't think he was good enough receiving the ball in those areas and usually resulted in good passes getting wasted. Maybe a bit tricky going directly up against a back three though. 

No point chatting about refereeing decisions, although it's disappointing to lose the winning run. 

Pros:

-We looked deliciously comfortable in possession.
-We restricted Poland to zero shots on target (until the pen).*
-We scored from another clinical set piece.
-Gilly Bilmour (20), Nathan Patterson (20) and - to a lesser extent - Hickey (19) all looked like 50 cap veterans .

Cons:
-Hanley looked suspect for the first time in the last few years. Seemed to mistime a few last man headers.
-Adams' movement was excellent, but I don't remember any balls going in to him to control in that way he does so well from (takes the ball on his chest and just lets it roll to his foot on the turn).
-McTominay looked class on the ball till he got near the penalty box then just seemed to lose confidence.

*Edit: I picked that up from the commentators, but that's clearly bullshit because BG cleared one off the line (and the same commentators had been raving about the clearance prior to giving the stat!?!)

22 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Pros:

-We looked deliciously comfortable in possession.
-We restricted Poland to zero shots on target (until the pen).*
-We scored from another clinical set piece.
-Gilly Bilmour (20), Nathan Patterson (20) and - to a lesser extent - Hickey (19) all looked like 50 cap veterans .

Cons:
-Hanley looked suspect for the first time in the last few years. Seemed to mistime a few last man headers.
-Adams' movement was excellent, but I don't remember any balls going in to him to control in that way he does so well from (takes the ball on his chest and just lets it roll to his foot on the turn).
-McTominay looked class on the ball till he got near the penalty box then just seemed to lose confidence.

*Edit: I picked that up from the commentators, but that's clearly bullshit because BG cleared one off the line (and the same commentators had been raving about the clearance prior to giving the stat!?!)

Aye , pretty much same as what i thought. Gilmours clearance was clarkes "dont get beat" tactics in full flow. Was a joyous block.... ye knew at that point we are a tough side to beat.

Edited by greenockraver

Just seen the highlights and scotland were decent tonight with good performances across the park. 

Patterson was lively and ran straight through the poles a few times. 

McGinn industrious and such a sweet cross for the goal. 

Tierney took the goal well and strolled the match. 

Gilmour still has a slight build but has learnt how to use every ounce of it to hold up against bigger players. He was really on song tonight and brilliant to get back on the line and block that certain goal. 

Which brings me on to McTominey, who has at least one massive brain fart in him every match he plays in defence. I think he is almost a luxury in a way and it's good he can cover defence but for me he shouldn't be starting there. 

It was a shocking dive for the penalty but such is life. 

Also a footnote... every player looked like they love coming to play for scotland. Thats something we should enjoy while we have it as it makes aw the difference .
This...
It was a friendly and yet we've near our best squad playing.
That has got to be down to management and backroom staff instilling this into the squad.
Huge kudos to Clarke who seems to unfairly attract negative comments from some sector's due to his dour media personna.
Clearly it is just a facade given the loyalty shown by the squad.

Just now, greenockraver said:

Also a footnote... every player looked like they love coming to play for scotland. Thats something we should enjoy while we have it as it makes aw the difference .

Gilmour and Patterson go from their fans/manager seriously disliking them to an environment where they've got a really good manager and fans who love them (just now anyway). While I want them both to do well for their clubs, at least Scotland can provide a wee bit of welcome relief for two highly promising youngsters.