Alloa v Peterhead

Huge 3 points there and great effort to grind it out. Was really happy to see Robertson, Cawley and Scougal coming in, but hoped the manager had realised you don't play Taggart on the left and that Kev isn't a wing back. After a lively enough start Peterhead got on top and probably just about shaded the first half. 

Second half was better from us with Taggart back on the right and I thought we were the better side, but the first goal was going to be crucial. Luckily we got it and we had really good chances to kill it after that. Peterhead could point to a great chance shortly after we scored too. I'd say we probably just about deserved the win but not much in it at all. 

Not a vintage performance and plenty of questions to be resolved about how best to deploy some key men but such a crucial victory. Must aim to build on it and win the next couple to ensure we aren't in a battle in the closing weeks. 

44 minutes ago, Bluetoon said:

McInally excuses coming in 3..2..1...

Will he just not give the reporter a tape recording of  the previous interviews - played well, didn't deserve to lose, the referee etc. One good thing, that bombscare won't be playing next week after his ordering off!!!

Think we missed McCarthy massively today, there seemed to be no fight in the middle of the park (or anywhere else on the park). There was no energy or urgency about anything we did and again we just didn’t create anywhere near enough chances. As has been said I think we’re just going to have to hope Dumbarton are worse than we are.

Really important win in a game in which I think we shaded it. 

Agree with Waspie that it was disappointing to see Taggs put out on the left again

Alloa with the better of the opening 15-20 but Peterhead were definitely on top from then until halftime. They probably should have scored but for a really good save from PJ Morrison from McLean. In truth it was a poor half with a lot of niggly fouls that disrupted any rhythm. 

Good change of shape from Rice at halftime allowing Taggs to go to right back and Cawley to move forward - looked like more of a 442 with a diamond midfield after halftime. Was a little concerned with how Craig Howie would fare at left back but I though he looked reasonably comfortable. Unreal to think he is about the 6th left back we have had this year!

Alloa looked much better after the break and were up for the fight against a strong physical Peterhead side. Was good to see that both sides were looking for a win today, credit Peterhead for not coming and sitting in for a point. 

Great finish from Kev for the winner. Credit Andy Graham as well as it was a pretty poor corner and it was his battling for the ball that gave Kev the chance. It’s a shame we couldn’t add more to make it comfortable but full credit to Brett Long, he was absolutely immense today. His save from Henderson(?) that he tipped on to the bar and post was world class. His other save when the ball came back off a Peterhead defender was also excellent.

Peterhead unlucky with the effort that came off the post and should have scored at 1-0 when they volleyed over the bar - I think if the striker throws himself at it with his head then it’s 1-1. Think those were the only 2 chances they created after the break though.

Was concerned with the lineup we might be a bit lightweight with Scougall in midfield today but he had a really good game in there. Sammon again worked hard and MacIver ran well stretching the game after he came on. Would have liked to see if he could of went on to finish it at the sending off - initially thought the defender had got the ball to be honest but will have a look at the highlights tomorrow. Makes a nice change to be on the other side of a contentious sending off though!

I think Peterhead will be good enough to stay up - they are strong and physical and looked up for a battle today, exactly what’s needed at this stage of the season.

Another cup final next week for us!

Just on the red card it will get overturned. 

Referee gave it as serious foul play which is when you go out to maim your opponent. He's tackled from the back but he's not that far away from a clean tackle.
DOGSO might have been more difficult to argue against but there's no way that's serious foul play.
Immaterial to the final result anyway.

Edited by LeodhasXD

Huge (and deserved) three points and an enjoyable game. Second half was as good as I've seen us play for quite some time; Henderson seemed to come to life and the formation change helped give us the ascendancy.

I thought wee Kev was outstanding second half, he and Taggs dominated the right flank. In fact no failures today. I wonder if McIver might get a start next week instead of Sammon (who was fine today)? Thought he looked lively and won a few good flick ons.

I actually thought Peterhead looked a decent side and expect they will be safe. Looked like a good tackle for the red. Long had a few really good saves, including the one where he used his balls to stop the ball.

42 minutes ago, printer said:

the one where he used his balls to stop the ball.

Good keeper , I felt his pain,  Talking of keepers 

PJ doing a good job for us  I don't think Hutton will get a sniff now .

Peterhead should have enough to stay up they were not any where near the worst side to come to the recs ,

We are now 7 points up on the playoff spot after today , another 3 wins aught to see us ok

As far as the game went, I can't disagree with the majority of what has been said.
I thought we struggled a wee bit in the first half, with Peterhead the better team playing the better stuff.
Quite rightly changing Taggart back to where he should be, Cawley a bit further up and Howie to left back certainly helped us. Although, in all honesty, given those three and where they started, I don't think there would have been many, if any, who would have had them where they were at the start of the game.
Henderson used his pace well in the second half to cause their defenders a few anxious moments. Great save too to tip his shot on to the bar.
Good finish for the goal as well. Although they could/should have scored right after that.

I'm always impressed by Scougall. Great ability, quick, tenacious and a definite wee bit of quality.
I know he's had his injury woes but, unless he's being nursed through games, I think he deserves to finish more of them than he does.

All of them put in a shift yesterday and, on the second half versus the first, I think we deserved the win.

Good use of segregation at the the Indodrill as the taxi from Peterhead drop off the away support [emoji2960]
IMG_20220319_145402.thumb.jpg.ddc32a55598b0a21da5ef6b49c816eb2.jpg
Thing is, and definitely no patronising intended, when I looked over at the away support yesterday, I doffed my metaphorical cap to those that had made the journey. We all know that it isn't always easy to make what is a 300 mile round trip to see your team - especially when things aren't going too well.

But as you're regularly in the Falkirk thread with your horrific 'patter', why don't you take your nonsense over there? You'll fit right in spouting that pish.
Not much more to say, except...[emoji2960]

On 19/03/2022 at 17:43, Balmoor Boy said:

Will he just not give the reporter a tape recording of  the previous interviews - played well, didn't deserve to lose, the referee etc. One good thing, that bombscare won't be playing next week after his ordering off!!!

Only looked at the Score at the weekend and didn't notice we had a sending off.  Still had to go back to the match reports to see who it was that was red carded as "bombscare" doesn't really narrow it down for me.

On 23/03/2022 at 07:07, strichener said:

Only looked at the Score at the weekend and didn't notice we had a sending off.  Still had to go back to the match reports to see who it was that was red carded as "bombscare" doesn't really narrow it down for me.

I actually thought the bombscare he's referred to  had a good game on Saturday and was probs you're best defender,

It was never a sending off, another terrible decision by poor officials and not the first this season 

14 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

I actually thought the bombscare he's referred to  had a good game on Saturday and was probs you're best defender,

It was never a sending off, another terrible decision by poor officials and not the first this season 

He was better than he has been at times & did well with clearing the ball off the line in the first half, Jason Brown was still carrying an injury & was struggling but was desperate to play. The guy from Hamilton is ok but does not go in where it hurts. Although a mid-fielder our biggest miss was Andy McCarthy as he makes a huge difference on & off the ball