Ayr v Hamilton - Friday Night Fitba

10 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Two shite teams that, Hamilton’s early goal apart would’ve been quite happy to try not to out shit each other.

Bryden and McKenzie can go back to the academy. Both offer absolutely nothing. I thought O’Connor looked good in flashed but ultimately too easily dispossessed.

We lack any kind of game plan other than lumping balls in to the box from the middle of the park and hoping one of them either gets lucky for Tomi or we get a good rebound for McInroy.

We can only hope Dunfermline and QOtS manage to out shit us for the next 4 games.

Aye I'm fully hoping those two just end up being shiter than us. Not much point expecting this team to drag themselves out with the kind of performances you need in a time like this.

18 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Two shite teams that, Hamilton’s early goal apart would’ve been quite happy to try not to out shit each other.

Bryden and McKenzie can go back to the academy. Both offer absolutely nothing. I thought O’Connor looked good in flashed but ultimately too easily dispossessed.

We lack any kind of game plan other than lumping balls in to the box from the middle of the park and hoping one of them either gets lucky for Tomi or we get a good rebound for McInroy.

We can only hope Dunfermline and QOtS manage to out shit us for the next 4 games.

It’s always going to be the case with O’Connor. Every time he gets the ball he looks to go passed people and make something happen. It’s very much risk reward. Bullen clearly isn’t a fan of wide players actually going passed people though - it’s fucking shite and I’m sick of it. 

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s always going to be the case with O’Connor. Every time he gets the ball he looks to go passed people and make something happen. It’s very much risk reward. Bullen clearly isn’t a fan of wide players actually going passed people though - it’s fucking shite and I’m sick of it. 

If that’s the case we need to stop setting up with wide players and pack the middle of the park. Having 2 guys out wide is just a complete waste of 2 jersey’s unless we are actively playing to their strengths.

Draw was fair. Exact same as Morton and having all three of your strikers on the park means that you can't freshen up a tired forward line.

Compare that to a lot of Taylor's other performance and you wonder if The Process is actually a thing. That was direct as hell and was entirely reliant on the front three for any attacking output.

There was absolutely nothing between the teams tbh and a draw was a fair result. Hamilton are easily the worst team we’ve played this season and it’s pleasing that their incessant time wasting came back to bite them. Still no idea why their fans were going mental at the referee when he actually did quite well in adding up all the stoppages and playing the correct amount of added time.

We were truly dreadful at times though. After last week I said we just need to start packing the midfield and make it uncomfortable. Sort of like what Hamilton did tonight and Morton last week. We have zero quality in the wide areas so there’s no point in trying to play players there. O’Connor had a chance tonight and whether he went off through injury or just because he didn’t actually do anything I’m not sure. Completely flatters to deceive all the time.

We’re still shite but we’re also hanging in there and if the other results go our way then we’re one step closer to safety. Credit to the players as they didn’t stop trying to get a goal and I think it’s the least we deserved tbh.

Draw a fair result all things considered. Neither team was good enough to warrant 3 points.

Hamilton took their first goal well but it originated from some very poor Ayr defending. Afterwards barring one or two chances Hamilton did not offer much. Ayr were at times getting forward but as has been very common this season, lacked in the final third.

Hamilton's daft time wasting (even after the referee had pointed out to them) did lead enough time being added on for McInroy to score an absolute beauty with the last kick.

Edited by Oceanlineayr
Spelling

Agreed. O'Connor flatters to deceive - okay he can go past his man on the odd occasion but what's the point when his final ball is so poor. He found his man exactly once and so was not surprised he was pulled. Mackenzie doesn't really try to go past him man but I think he was probably told his was the more defensive wing and O'Connor was going to be the outlet first half..

Packing the midfield and lumping it forward was certainly less attractive but was probably marginally more effective - we did just about have the best of the second half, and just about deserved a point even if we didn't create a hell of a lot.

Always funny when you try to time- waste and cheat your way to the whistle and it bites you in the arse. Hamilton got exactly what they deserved. 🤣 

Oh, and for those that thought it was the worst home display you have seen for years - well either you haven't seen much of Ayr this year or you have the memory of a goldfish. We don't chuck it nowadays and play the full 90+ and are getting rewarded for that alone.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile
Adding the afterthought

Hamilton defended better than Ayr and were far better organised. Looked like they had a game plan and for 96 minutes Ayr never had a shot at goal. 

Like Ayr, they are pretty poor going forward. They didn't put any balls across our 6 yard line at corners or free kicks and apart from a couple of long range efforts that were tipped over the bar, didn't have many chances. They should have held on for the win, Ayr's equalizer was one of these goals you just cant defend against. 

Ayr gave away a cheap goal and then reverted to the exact same game plan we have all season. 

Well, the BBC stats suggest we had 13 shots, 6 on target. Now those stats are not reality but nor was our goal our first and only shot on target. I can recall one tipped over the bar and another at the near post - so maybe three. The other of the BBC's six must have been made up of soft taps forward that were so easily gathered we didn't notice.

You're right though that Hamilton did work to a game plan, at least until they chuck it in the bin for the strategy of time wasting instead.

9 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There was absolutely nothing between the teams tbh and a draw was a fair result. Hamilton are easily the worst team we’ve played this season and it’s pleasing that their incessant time wasting came back to bite them. Still no idea why their fans were going mental at the referee when he actually did quite well in adding up all the stoppages and playing the correct amount of added time.

We were truly dreadful at times though. After last week I said we just need to start packing the midfield and make it uncomfortable. Sort of like what Hamilton did tonight and Morton last week. We have zero quality in the wide areas so there’s no point in trying to play players there. O’Connor had a chance tonight and whether he went off through injury or just because he didn’t actually do anything I’m not sure. Completely flatters to deceive all the time.

We’re still shite but we’re also hanging in there and if the other results go our way then we’re one step closer to safety. Credit to the players as they didn’t stop trying to get a goal and I think it’s the least we deserved tbh.

8 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Agreed. O'Connor flatters to deceive - okay he can go past his man on the odd occasion but what's the point when his final ball is so poor. He found his man exactly once and so was not surprised he was pulled. Mackenzie doesn't really try to go past him man but I think he was probably told his was the more defensive wing and O'Connor was going to be the outlet first half..

Packing the midfield and lumping it forward was certainly less attractive but was probably marginally more effective - we did just about have the best of the second half, and just about deserved a point even if we didn't create a hell of a lot.

Always funny when you try to time- waste and cheat your way to the whistle and it bites you in the arse. Hamilton got exactly what they deserved. 🤣 

Oh, and for those that thought it was the worst home display you have seen for years - well either you haven't seen much of Ayr this year or you have the memory of a goldfish. We don't chuck it nowadays and play the full 90+ and are getting rewarded for that alone.

O’Connor created two chances in the first half. I think it is probably fair to say he had a mixed half, but that is always going to happen with a player of his style.    Particularly as he hasn’t been given any sort of chance for weeks. His final ball was poor twice but he also looked to go by people, creating space for others several times. He  played several decent passes through the lines too, which the others who tend to play there just aren’t capable of. 

Night and day from McKenzie and I would be starting him from now on. 

27 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

O’Connor created two chances in the first half. I think it is probably fair to say he had a mixed half, but that is always going to happen with a player of his style.    Particularly as he hasn’t been given any sort of chance for weeks. His final ball was poor twice but he also looked to go by people, creating space for others several times. He  played several decent passes through the lines too, which the others who tend to play there just aren’t capable of. 

Night and day from McKenzie and I would be starting him from now on. 

O’Connor’s final ball was poor but he was the only player getting us up the park and behind the Hamilton defence. Far worse culprits in the first half and McKenzie in particular did absolutely nothing.

Can’t believe I’m seeing someone slating O’Connor but providing excuses for McKenzie. Can only assume they’re feart of criticising the boss.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

O’Connor’s final ball was poor but he was the only player getting us up the park and behind the Hamilton defence. Far worse culprits in the first half and McKenzie in particular did absolutely nothing.

Can’t believe I’m seeing someone slating O’Connor but providing excuses for McKenzie. Can only assume they’re feart of criticising the boss.

I would far rather watch someone trying to make something happen and occasionally failing, than watch everyone else constantly playing safe. I thought he did well and made a difference, especially considering his lack of game time. We didn’t actually get him on the ball high up the pitch either, he was always very deep and having to look to go by people. Couldn’t tell you the last time we actually witnessed an Ayr United player face someone up and take him on. I’m glad he was injured and that was why Bullen took him off (in his interview) Bullen thought he did well so there may be potential for him replacing McKenzie. 

As you say, his final ball on two occasions was the issue. I’m confident that’ll come with game time though. 

Edited by No_Problemo

I wouldn’t play O’Connor or McKenzie tbf.

9 hours ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

Well, the BBC stats suggest we had 13 shots, 6 on target. Now those stats are not reality but nor was our goal our first and only shot on target. I can recall one tipped over the bar and another at the near post - so maybe three. The other of the BBC's six must have been made up of soft taps forward that were so easily gathered we didn't notice.

You're right though that Hamilton did work to a game plan, at least until they chuck it in the bin for the strategy of time wasting instead.

I think your missing the obvious shot on target when Maxwell made the keeper save when straight through in the first half

We had a shot it the first few minutes the keeper tipped over the bar, the two from the break away from the corner from maxwell and McInroy another from a corner in the first half the keeper saved maxwell also had a dipping effort from the edge of the box second half the keeper saved and obviously the goal.

8 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I thought he did well and made a difference, especially considering his lack of game time. We didn’t actually get him on the ball high up the pitch either, he was always very deep and having to look to go by people. Couldn’t tell you the last time we actually witnessed an Ayr United player face someone up and take him on.

Yes, I agree. Maybe my expectations are just lower than some but I thought he was good in the first half and did really well to take on and beat defenders. His crosses weren't great but at least he did deliver balls into the box and on the third attempt Maxwell did connect (although he didn't get his shot on target). I think having both Adeloye and O'Connor on the pitch at the same time will make us more dangerous going forward.