St Johnstone vs Livingston - 2 April 2022

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I've watched the penalty incident again and not only does it strike May's arm but he looks offside too...how many decisions need to go against us?

While I've no idea on Davidson being offside, I would say that linesmen very rarely get offside calls wrong at free kicks for the obvious reason that player movement is happening from a standing start so is much easier to judge than in open play. For Davidson's handball, without VAR it will've been difficult for the ref to spot. 

With the later Cleary handball, I think Bailey should've just stopped playing and yelled for the penalty rather than ignoring it and continuing on. Players need to realise referees are rabbits caught in the headlights sometimes and you need to make it so they can't just avoid the decision.

We benefitted from a referee error too as Penrice not being red carded when he should've been means he can now play against Motherwell next week.

20 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

For Davidson's handball, without VAR it will've been difficult for the ref to spot. 

Easy know, it was blatant, everyone seen.  It as an OJ incident. Just move on. 

42 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It definitely went against you if it hit May while he was in the second row of the dugout. Never picked that up at the time as well.

I'll hold my hands up...it's Davidson that I was referring to. Saw the mop of hair and associated it with May, apologies

Never ceases to amaze me how everybody in the stadium sees it. Knows its a penalty/sending off. Thousands of people. And yet the ref plays on. Then can carry on regardless the following week. No come back. 

:lol:

I f**k up at work like that, there's an investigation, possible disciplinary action and no doubt some retraining. I wouldn't be allowed to just continue week after week. 

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I thought I was the only one who thought he did alright. Livi fans don't seem to rate him but he had very little service and showed some real ability at times. It'll take time for him to develop the same understanding with Nouble and Forrest that Anderson has.

I think he'll start next week based on (as you say) a pretty decent performance. Pitch was awful which I don't think helped him, he deserves a chance on the plastic.

1 minute ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I think he'll start next week based on (as you say) a pretty decent performance. Pitch was awful which I don't think helped him, he deserves a chance on the plastic.

He'll potentially come alive on that pitch with us playing on the front foot and those low crosses coming in for him from Forrest/Nouble/Devlin/Penrice. Given a win is needed against Motherwell, I agree he'll surely start.

11 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Just watched the highlights, as a neutral I'd say the Saints pen was definitely right. Penrice should've been off, the Livi subs reaction is hilarious. And Livingston should've had a penalty as well.

Pretty much my view watching it this morning, Clancy had an awful game that impacted both teams. But that’s the standard of referees in Scotland.

Edited by Yorky

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

While I've no idea on Davidson being offside, I would say that linesmen very rarely get offside calls wrong at free kicks for the obvious reason that player movement is happening from a standing start so is much easier to judge than in open play. For Davidson's handball, without VAR it will've been difficult for the ref to spot. 

With the later Cleary handball, I think Bailey should've just stopped playing and yelled for the penalty rather than ignoring it and continuing on. Players need to realise referees are rabbits caught in the headlights sometimes and you need to make it so they can't just avoid the decision.

We benefitted from a referee error too as Penrice not being red carded when he should've been means he can now play against Motherwell next week.

Nah players get slated for not playing to the whistle, wasn't Bailey's fault Clancy is a useless arsehole not seeing a blatant hand ball. Clancy would've prob pulled it back for a penalty if Bailey had scored though, he's that much of a clown. 

Penrice had no need to go in for that challenge, it was prob going out for a corner when their player got there first to kick it, have to admit i thought Clancy would've had his red card out and was relieved to see him holding a yellow, made up for him wrongly sending Montano off against Aberdeen. Next game we'll get a penalty for nothing from Clancy then.

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I thought I was the only one who thought he did alright. Livi fans don't seem to rate him but he had very little service and showed some real ability at times. It'll take time for him to develop the same understanding with Nouble and Forrest that Anderson has.

Yeah he took a good touch controlling the ball, held off his marker and got a shot away, forcing a decent save, better service and i think he'll score goals.

Forrest's corners failed to clear the first man several times and Penrice took over, we've big players in there, need to give them a chance to get a header from set pieces. 

When the dust has settled i'm quite optimistic we can still get top 6, we know what we have to do, it's an all or nothing game against Motherwell, which imo is better than playing for a draw in our final game, where you often end up losing because players are a bit too relaxed. Still need Hearts or Aberdeen to take something from Hibs & County, but like ours, they're at home, so hopefully that makes all the difference next week. Not in our own hands but if we take care of our own game, i think we'll get into the top 6. I'd stick with the same starting line up against Motherwell too, mostly because i don't think Forrest, Nouble or Bailey are anywhere as good playing No9 compared to on the wings, and it takes away from their game moving them there, and don't think Soto did too a bad job.

I was so against VAR at the start of the season, but over the course of the season so many dodgy decisions have been given against us that I believe VAR is an absolute must now. It's horrible. 

We'd have gotten a penalty with 10 to go at Ibrox with the score at 0-0.

10 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Calling pish on that.

Our forwards for next season are Bair, E2, May, MOH and Kane. Not one of them has shown anything to make me think they could score enough in this league next year.

Remove Hendry, Clark, Rooney, McCart and most probably Craig and Bryson and that's the spine of a team right there. If we stay up and it's still a big if, I have no confidence in the current regime being able to rebuild the side,  their recruitment then subsequent integration into the team is baffling. 

Point taken, but I do still think that compared to previous season and other teams, we will start with a better core. Rooney and Clark will be big misses and clearly Hendry is on fire at the moment, but I dont think losing McCart, Craig, Bryson or even Muzz in the summer would be catastrophic.

I'd be quite excited to see what a combo or Bair and E2 could do with a full pre season behind them.

That said, I'm not sure Davidson has any intention of giving them much game time. 

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

I dont think losing McCart, Craig, Bryson or even Muzz in the summer would be catastrophic.

What on earth are you expecting our midfield to look like if we lose Craig, Bryson and Davidson?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What on earth are you expecting our midfield to look like if we lose Craig, Bryson and Davidson?

Pretty much like it is at the moment. Craig and Bryson have been bit part and while I suspect Davidson will still be here, he will clearly play less and less games each season as injuries start to take its toll. I really disliked Crawford for a long spell, but you can start to see what he brings. Him, Hallberg, a returning Spoony and Max coming into the first team is the nucleus of a good midfield. If McPherson delivered what was once thought of him (doubt it) then we have quite a bit of talent in there. If we offer Muzz and Liam new deals, they will sign, so in that regard, I do think IF we stay up, the midfield looks decent (would still need to add to it). In defence, Brown in for Rooney is a downgrade and Mahon for McCart is unproven. 

General point is that in the past, we have had almost entire squads out of contract going into the summer and now we have guys tied down for longer spells.

8 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I really disliked Crawford for a long spell, but you can start to see what he brings. Him, Hallberg, a returning Spoony and Max coming into the first team is the nucleus of a good midfield.

So 3 midfielders, none of whom can defend, plus a kid who's never played above the 4th tier?

Everyone was hopeless on Saturday.  Particularly Soto and Omeonga.  Max even looked close to dropping a clanger at some point.  St Johnstone were very good at getting decisions from the ref, but we should have done more with the possession we had.

Anyone else looking at the bottom end of the table and slightly bricking it?

On 02/04/2022 at 22:19, Troy.1995 said:

FFS

Saints fans.You got away with one today.And you know it.Retrospectivy .Soft pen so early in the game kinda knocked the stuffing out of our game.Please don't disagree. Yous know we dominated that game.But fair Play to Saints.They held on.For both sides.Yous can understand our frustrations with the ,as your fans have said an  absolute stonewall at the end.Think a point apiece would have been fair.But to loose.in that fashion was galling to say in the least.

Yes Livi should have had a penalty. 

No, the Saints penalty wasn't "soft", it was a penalty. 

Penrice should have been off.

And "Yous"? FFS!

A real insight into the mind of Davidson: "I was really pleased with that. We got our goal early and we didn't concede."

We didn't give much away, I accept that. We crowded our own box and defended it well at times but they should have had a penalty and miss as easy a chance as you can ask for with the last kick of the ball. I also felt they made some poor decisions in good areas. 

The way we defended for the majority though would be better received if it was balanced with even a modicum of attacking intent after the early goal. 

The argument will very obviously be that winning is all that matters but I'm just not convinced that camping in, trying to keep the ball in play for as little time as possible, is the best approach, short-term or long-term, either for Saints or Callum Davidson.