Weird Loans

What's the weirdest loan moves you've ever heard of?   Just saw there that in 2015 the goalkeeper Scott Christie was loaned from Bo'Ness to Slovak side FK AS Trenčín!  There can't be many players from the Scottish juniors getting loan moves abroad!

What's the strangest loan moves you've come across?

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

What's the weirdest loan moves you've ever heard of?   Just saw there that in 2015 the goalkeeper Scott Christie was loaned from Bo'Ness to Slovak side FK AS Trenčín!  There can't be many players from the Scottish juniors getting loan moves abroad!

What's the strangest loan moves you've come across?

What was the story there? Was he moving to Slovakia anyway, with a loan to a Slovak club just being the expedient way to transfer his registration?

Julien Faubert? Ended up loaned out to Real Madrid despite being kinda shite. Vividly mind a clip of Paul Merson bursting out laughing and saying he must have the best agent in the world.

Henrik Larsson to Man Utd - I remember being taken aback at the time as it was out of the blue, think from memory he didnt bag many goals but played well in a handful of apps, loads of paper stories about him setting a great example in training for younger players etc.

Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham was, technically, a loan I think. Edit: do you know I can't actually remember and I'm second guessing it now, nonetheless it was definitely a weird and murky transfer even if it wasnt strictly a loan...

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 23/04/2022 at 14:39, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Mascherano and Tevez to West Ham was, technically, a loan I think. Edit: do you know I can't actually remember and I'm second guessing it now, nonetheless it was definitely a weird and murky transfer even if it wasnt strictly a loan...

I think it was because they weren't on loan from a club, but from a company/3rd party. Was very dodgy and I'm sure there was legal action taken by one of the Sheffield clubs over it (they got relegated and claimed the signings helped put them down and weren't legitimate; can't mind how it ended).

If this was 'total headscratchers' rather than just 'weird', the Dundee have had a few just in the past couple of season alone. Taking outfield players on season-long loans, then not even playing them when there are no other fit options at his natural position. If the laddie is nowhere near the standard, why fucking loan him in in the first place? :wacko:

13 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Didn’t Middlesborough loan Jordan Mcghee from Hearts when they were in the Premiership? Always thought that was a bit bizarre

Signed on loan for a season to play in the development team which is definitely a weird one.

What about Rangers taking 5 Newcastle players on order of Mike Ashley and giving game time to only one of them?

In regards to Faubert, I also remember Merson laughing and suggesting that his agent should be knighted for securing that loan

11 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not that I remember. Dolly Menga went on loan to Angola from Livingston. 

I got him mixed up with Yordi Teijsse - I see he went to a German team.  Was there not a junior player Dundee loaned in once?  Played for Dundee Violet or Lochee or someone?

I got him mixed up with Yordi Teijsse - I see he went to a German team.  Was there not a junior player Dundee loaned in once?  Played for Dundee Violet or Lochee or someone?

They used Lochee to circumvent the trialist rules a couple of times in the "Deefiant" season, most notably Jake Hyde, who "signed" for Lochee purely so Dundee could pick him for three games. They also brought in a guy Craig Robertson as a trialist from Lochee - he was a Dundee fan who basically helped them out for three games.

What about Rangers taking 5 Newcastle players on order of Mike Ashley and giving game time to only one of them?
In regards to Faubert, I also remember Merson laughing and suggesting that his agent should be knighted for securing that loan

Three of the Newcastle guys played. Haris Vuckic played fairly regularly, Shane Ferguson was injured when they signed him but played in both play-off games and Remie Streete went off in the first half of his debut (a home defeat to Raith Rovers in the cup) with a suspiciously "I don't fancy this" looking injury. Kevin Mbabu and Gael Bigirimana both failed to feature, and it's fair to say they've had contrasting careers since.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Same as yer new manager? Wee Gordon doin favours?

Not really sure. Last season's was Nicholas Hamilton. I think he ended up at Dens as the Yanks pulling a favour for someone and because Covid interfered with his original plans, but I think he ended up only playing about 5 minutes total for us, so it clearly wasn't one of those 'lets check this guy out' hopeful punts. Earlier this season we had a young FB/CH on loan from Luton. Made sense at the time because we were really light on FB's and only had three senior CB's on the books. The lad sat and got splinters for the most part, even when we were down to one fit recognised FB. He did play a couple of games eventually out of sheer desperation, but he got punted back down south in January. This January's headscratcher was a permanent signing. 28 year old Canadian International brought in from MLS. Ok, it's not a loan, but it's totally baffling why we signed a guy on a permanent deal who should be at the absolute peak of his career, and he's just sat freezing his balls off on the bench and hasn't made a single start or sub appearance of any note. Screams of the Yanks doing someone a favour again.